Out of Calories

Options
Maybe it is just me, but some days I run out of calories REAL fast. (Some days I'm super hungry and some days I'm not that hungry). When after I eat dinner I'm out of calories and still hungry--I go to sleep so I can wake up the next day and eat again. Am I alone?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging your foods for the day in advance?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lol nope. Been going to bed earlier some days too because I am hungry...
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Nope. I usually eat if i get hungry as i just cannot tolerate too much hunger. I try to eat something low cal like a low fat string cheese or some milk etc. I rarely go to bed hungry!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry and out of calories, I drink a full glass of water (preferably with ACV, because I like the taste) and/or drink a cup or two of broth. That seems to make me feel like I've eaten when I haven't. I've heard that celery is a "negative calorie food," in that it takes more calories to metabolize it than the number of calories that are in the actual stalk, BUT you should probably fact check that before you go mowing down celery bunches. It's a nice thought, anyway. haha!
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals ahead of time and eat small meals every 3 hours and I'm not hungry. If I am I just make sure I work out a little more and use some of the calories I earn from working out.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    ha ha.......I hear you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-celery-i11143

Eh, it appears that celery is 19 calories per cup and that the "negative calorie food" theory is debatable. There are no magic pills, are there? :-( *snaps fingers*
  • emilymaya16
    emilymaya16 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree that planning your meals in advance really helps! You kind of know yourself how full you're likely to feel after eating a sandwich or a bowl of cereal or something so you can really plan your food out and spread it out throughout the day and feel confident at the end that if you stick to what you planned then you'll have enough food and enough calories to manage the day without getting too hungry!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time not going over on days where I don't work out. The worst is when I finish logging my lunch, I'm still at my desk at work, and I see only 50 calories or something! You're not alone.

I respond in a few ways:

Eat something light but filling like soup, and look back over the day to see what I could have done differently.

Take my dog for a walk or jog to earn some more calories.

Just eat over, knowing I will be under on a day where I am very active. (I look at weekly calories more than daily)

If you're consistently running into this problem, you may want to evaluate your calorie goal or eating schedule. (Edits: typos)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has days where we are more hungry. Like another poster said - you can "work" for extra calories. Or, sometimes your body just needs calories. What about a bowl of lower sugar oatmeal or a glass of milk? Yes, there are calories but a glass of milk or oatmeal are low calorie, filling options.

Or just eat a little bit more of a healthy food. As long as you aren't consistently hundreds of calories over you will be fine. Your body knows you better than a computer does :) Just make sure you are logging accordingly and that you are actually hungry!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I typically run/walk during the week. I haven't been able to since Sunday because it is cold and raining. I'm just not good at following a indoor video too well. I keep telling myself to join a gym, but where I live and where I work are nowhere near a gym. I typically have days where I could probably eat and eat and eat and I would never be satisfied. Those are the days I'm referring to. Usually the next day I have no appetite, so I try to fall asleep and just get to that point. I've read a lot of people plan their day in advance. I don't know how I feel about that yet. It seems kind of depressing to see how little I can eat in advance. lol
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your snacks are very sugary and carby. Those will leave you feeling hungry. Lose the cereal bars. go for cheese, nuts, boiled eggs, protein based items.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Your snacks are very sugary and carby. Those will leave you feeling hungry. Lose the cereal bars. go for cheese, nuts, boiled eggs, protein based items.

I do notice I intake a lot of carbs and sweet tasting things. I love my cereal bars. I really do, but you are right. I need to eat something that is more beneficial. I actually went out and bought the 100pk almonds. I snacked on those today. Which...was a little depressing. You really don't get a lot of almonds for 100calories.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 calories is not enough for you? Unless you are crazy tiny I would bet your BMR is above that.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just me, but some days I run out of calories REAL fast. (Some days I'm super hungry and some days I'm not that hungry). When after I eat dinner I'm out of calories and still hungry--I go to sleep so I can wake up the next day and eat again. Am I alone?

This has never happened to me. Are you sure you're doing it right?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I've heard that celery is a "negative calorie food," in that it takes more calories to metabolize it than the number of calories that are in the actual stalk, BUT you should probably fact check that before you go mowing down celery bunches. It's a nice thought, anyway. haha!

That is not true ... celery has calories. The whole negative calorie thing and celery is well just wrong.

But it is a very very good go to food for when you want to eat something and don't have a lot of calories left in your day.
  • vpeinado78
    vpeinado78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was intaking 1200 calories for a few weeks and would run at least 3 miles a day. It worked to help me lose lbs but not as fast as I'd like. Then, I noticed, I was REALLY hungry and that's all bad for me - because I feel like those days, I could really easily eat & eat.

I went to my profile and changed my goal to losing 1 lbs a week and it gave me 1350. Not only was I not so hungry, I lost 1.5lbs in the first week (in my second week of doing this)Try increasing your intake by 100-200 daily and see if it helps with the hunger and weight loss.
  • Gemma_Louisex
    Gemma_Louisex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to try and plan your day in as much as possible and add in snacks?
    Maybe if you had a slightly smaller portion for lunch/dinner then you could use some of the saved calories later to use for snacking later?
    Good luck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to think of my calories on a weekly basis more than a daily basis. Log the extra calories on tomorrow's diary instead of today and eat a little lighter tomorrow when you're not as hungry.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe add more vegetables and protein and reduce the carbs. I tend to split my calories into meals and eat a larger breakfast and lunch and eliminate in between meal snacking.

I also use my weekly average with my exercise already added in for daily expenditure and don't add back exercise calories. I don't do well on 1200 calories a day and I find it too difficult to meal plan around it.