Fitness Goal - Hiking - Training advice?

Options
I am a big fan of hiking. Its by far my favorite sport. I however do not have time in my life to go out every weekend or even once a month. So my big hiking expeditions usually end in complete exhaustion because I am never prepared for them.

I was hoping to get some advice for everyday/weekly training things that would improve my hiking abilities.

I currently walk an average of 3-4 miles a day, because I walk to school and walk my dog twice. I have a November walking goal of 150 miles, so I'm trying to ramp up my daily walking a bit.

I also do some total body strength stuff 2-3 times a week, but I'm a beginner so its simple things like dumbell moves, planks, squats. I also just got an old bike tuned up, and have ridden it a grand total of once (made my legs so sore!).

Last - I cant run and I cant do lunges or tons of stair work because I have bad knees, so please don't advise those things. Having bad knees makes hiking harder - trust me I know this - but I am not going to let my problems limit what I love. I just choose to hike in places where I can do it easiest and when I am forced up steep hills and miles of stairs, I bring hiking poles and go at my own slow pace. :)

Replies

• kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Can you squat? I cannot lunge it cripples my knees (probably form but anyway) as does running or much cycling. But I have no problem with squats body weight or weighted.

I would say any sort of strength training you can do will help your legs and some cardio to help your endurance
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I find walking on uneven ground works different muscles in my legs than the road so maybe adding some uneven ground even if just grass might help. Walking up and down hills repeatedly would help as well. If you have access to a treadmill walking on an incline would be helpful. Just a couple of ideas. Oh and maybe some faster intervals in your walking. Do you use a daypack when you hike? If so adding some weight to your pack and walking with that might be helpful as well.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    On the walking on uneven ground thing, have you considered a pair of those curvy soled shoes. They are a bit of a gimmick but I have a pair, they are pretty comfy and they do encourage me to use my core when I am walking on paved streets more.
  • kw1452
    Options
    I can squat. Took years to be able to but my legs are strong enough to squat pretty well.

I do walk to school with a backpack on (around 3 miles round trip).

And the neighborhood I live in has tons of hills. I try to give my dog long walks there a few times a week.

I think I am going to focus more on strength training than cardio, because I already get about 3-5 miles a day and Im super used to that. Its just so hard to strengthen my legs with most leg exercises (and butt exercises) focusing on things I can't do with my knees. But I've found little things like knee ups and leg swinging that work the same muscles, just probably at a lower intensity.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I would probably do 2 full body weight training routines with an emphasis on leg strength per week. Then fill in with 3-4 HIIT training sessions per week. Maybe something low impact like cycling.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    STRETCHING..........LOTS OF STRETCHING...........I used to have bad knees, hips, back, shoulders, and since my surgery, throw in the pelvis gone badly wrong. If I didn't stretch for 1/2 hour, every day that I tromp over hill and dale, I would not be able to move the next day. I use a mixture of pilates, classic stretch, yoga, and runners stretches. I've combined them over the years and made up a routine that works exactly for me. It's incredibly boring, yes. But so is logging, counting calories and being hyper attentive to everything I put in my mouth. :( So worth the 1/2 hour it takes, because it's so necessary. :)
  • teejay002
    teejay002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I live in New Zealand and spend a lot of my free time hiking and hunting. I have found that just general around fitness has helped a lot, I try to do something for about 90min 6 days a week. I like the bike, rower, elliptical, jump rope and when I can I run (I have bad hamstrings so I don't run a lot) All of which I guess would be hard on your knees. I think any kind of strength training would be fantastic, I only started really strength training this year and it made a huge difference the hills don't seem so big anymore.

Being outdoors is the best feeling, find what works for you and go for it.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As an experienced back country backpacker, I can say, whatever you do, get in shape. Walking, running, increasing your times and speeds and crucially, add some leg, back, shoulders and core strength training.

Backpacking in the mountains is probably the most taxing work you can ever do, so any preparation will save you some of the pain of the first 36-48 hours on the trail.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that your daily walks, runs and weight lifting will completely prepare you for carrying 30+ pounds on your back for 8-10 hours and climbing 1000+ ft in altitude a couple of times each day.

That said, train, get prepared, and go have fun! I envy you!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Walk with a backpack on filled with stuff
    Find a hi-rise and walk up and down the stairs a few times
    Get your boots early and break um in well before an expo

Ride a bike around as well, it helps your legs

Good luck
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love hiking. You need to work everything. On uneven ground, you work all sorts of muscles in your legs and core. Even your arms if you add really rocky areas or any climbing. A weighted pack would certainly make your regular walks more challenging.

Make sure you've got good boots and you break them in way in advance. I love my Vasque boots. A walking stick might help you to support yourself but then you will be working your arms more. So, as said before, it's best to just work everything because you'll probably use everything. :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Walk with a backpack on filled with stuff
    Find a hi-rise and walk up and down the stairs a few times
    Get your boots early and break um in well before an expo

Ride a bike around as well, it helps your legs

Good luck

same here... not sure if she is day hiking or wearing a pack... always good to get used to your pack if you're doing some serious hiking..
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I agree with llsal11, too, about the boots. Probably the most important part of hiking, is to protect and cushion, your feet and ankles.

Even if all you do is day-hiking, make sure your footware is comfortable, fits properly (no squishing of the toes business) and is broken in, good.

I have very wide feet and rather large, for a woman (I call them golum feet, as I can actually write with my toes, lol), and I don't like twisting my ankles, so I get a 5" tall version.

I usually special order them, since I take a mans size 8 4E. Only one manufacturer makes them, and they are very hard to find, but I never short myself when it comes to my feet.

I still get callouses, even after taking out the original liner and replacing it with Dr. Johnson's gel insoles (sometimes 2-3 pairs).

I try and rub Sombra into my feet 2-3 times a week, at bedtime, to offset some of the callous building. I also have a salve that I make, which I use about 2x a month. My knees usually aren't terribly bothered, but I think it's because I take such good care of my feet (the footbone is connected to the ankle bone, which is connected to the shinbone, which is connected to the kneebone..........lol), and I stretch everything out, a lot.

Also, I HATE things that chafe, bind or rub, so clothing is also important. I wear men's cotton/nylon hiking pants, breathable t-shirt and expedition over-shirt with an outside vest, as well as headbands and gloves. This is good through below 30 degree weather. :)

Good luck!
  • kw1452
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yes boots are super important. I have a variety of footwear for different weather and effort. Currently am breaking in some Keen waterproof shoes for light hiking and general walking days. Have not found just the right pair of boots, but I have a few pairs that are pretty decent.

I will work on overall fitness. I have only gone backpacking once, and boy was it exhausting!! I currently just do day hikes and love camping but we only do campsite camping or out of the car camping. But we are slowly accumulating items to one day plan some full backpacking trips.