Is going over your protein count bad?

Options
Hello MFP people!
So I'm just wondering if going over your protein in your food diary is really that bad. If so, then what are the consequences?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a minimum, not a maximum. (Barring any medical conditions that dictate otherwise.)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    No. The MFP protein goals are very conservative. I set mine higher to offset limiting my carbs, and to help support strenuous exercise.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Depends what your protein goal is set to... A common recommendation is 1-1.5g per kilo lean body mass. Some say 2g per kilo, and bodybuilders will go up to 3g per kilo of LBM.

I aim for about 150g per day, some days I'll go over that and it doesn't concern me in the slightest. I'd say the minimum I would eat is 100g per day.
  • hubb6364
    hubb6364 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever stayed at what mine says I should get!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just like previously stated..there is no maximum for protein..I usually get around 230g a day give or take..I'm also bulking so typically I aim for 1.3g per lb of bodyweight whereas when I cut I was aiming for 1g per lb of LBM usually around 147g.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein goal is laughably low.

If you do go over what your body uses, excessive protein is similar in effect to carbohydrate.
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was actually just wondering the same thing as i go well over almost every day. Good to know!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Like any macronutrient - if you're body is getting too much, it will either turn it into fat or try rid of it through waste. However, the MFP automatic measures - particularly for protein, are set extremely low. So I wouldn't worry too much. Aim for a healthy 80-100g protein daily & you'll be fine. I am currently "bulking up" and trying to gain more muscle mass, so protein is my largest macro energy source at the moment (So I usually get approx 150g protein daily - sometimes more!!! But that's not necessarily a good thing if I am getting too much as I don't want to necessarily overeat and turn the protein into fat!)

Goodluck with it all x