The Unattainable Beauty

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I thought this video was neat...even though we all know that the magazines are photoshopped, it's still eye-opening to see it like this!

http://www.upworthy.com/see-why-we-have-an-absolutely-ridiculous-standard-of-beauty-in-just-37-seconds

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not able to see the video, but I think this is why we need to constantly tell ourselves and our children that most of what you see is false. The only standard that you can attain is to be the best that you can be, and NEVER EVER compare yourself to anyone else.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Not able to see the video, but I think this is why we need to constantly tell ourselves and our children that most of what you see is false. The only standard that you can attain is to be the best that you can be, and NEVER EVER compare yourself to anyone else.

If you get a chance, definitely watch the video. We can talk all day long about how they are photoshopped, but to SEE it was kind of amazing in a way that made me appreciate more how I look.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Wow... I always knew stuff was photoshopped but I figured that they would take an already good looking model and just touch-up some spots they thought were "bad." I never knew that they could take a beautiful women and make her so unrealistic like that..I didn't even know they DID That... o.O Crazy.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Wow... I always knew stuff was photoshopped but I figured that they would take an already good looking model and just touch-up some spots they thought were "bad." I never knew that they could take a beautiful women and make her so unrealistic like that..I didn't even know they DID That... o.O Crazy.

You're telling me. I'm Kate Moss. LOL
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Saw this on Facebook. Great video! Very eye opening.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Wow.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just watched this on my FB page. Get out there and love you REAL self. ♥
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess the next step will be a photoshop for HD tv and then our teens will really be messed up:(
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    thanks for photo-shopping and media my self image gets very distorted sometimes....trying to love myself every day!!
  • fitandskinnygal
    Options
    That's crazy. The lady was beautiful already!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Eye opening for sure. Didnt know they did it to such an extent. I also find i compare myself to women with really awesome bodies in the gym when alot of them never started off as being fat or over weight in the first place. It has made a huge difference in my stress level when i realized i would always look like the person i am or work for and never like any one else.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess the next step will be a photoshop for HD tv and then our teens will really be messed up:(

It's already being done in video and movies: http://fstoppers.com/its-now-possible-to-look-20-years-younger-in-video
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I saw this earlier, and I was surprised.

It's taken me quite some time to accept myself as I am. No, I will never look like a model - but apprently neither do the models in real life.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Same as a video and campaign done years ago by dove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqzlxGGJFo
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I prefer the un-shopped image. She's a pretty girl. After all the retouching, she's kind of a creepy doll. Ew.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    plus one for getting older and realizing youre good enough maybe a little paint on the eves wouldnt hurt but goshdarn it youre good enough
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a fitness model. According to him, during shoots he is extremely dehydrated to look more cut & basically feeling about as weak as possible...
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    this is so crazy but i should've known with all the technology nowadays that they can make anybody look gorgeous.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options

You're telling me. I'm Kate Moss. LOL

:laugh:
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think they intentionality went overboard in the video to emphasize the point.

Real life hotties are so much hotter than photoshopped hotties anyway, hands down, every time.