CROSSFIT- brag about it!

Options

Replies

• FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The original crossfitter

TheOriginalCrossfitterJesus-TheoriginalCrossfitKing_36dd8b_4796555_zps70e9ba03.jpg
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    PRed my overhead squat this week by 12lbs! PRed my box jump height as well...36"

"PRed my overhead squat this week"

...and Crossfitter wonder why people "hate on them."

what? she asked for PRs
  • pebblesbuddy
    pebblesbuddy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are always d-bags who are going to hate on crossfit. My guess is he tried it once, got sore and hates on people's PR's. take your ignorance somewhere else. Good for you MUAlaurenclark! I struggle with OHS's.

I PRed on deadlifts, 255lbs for my 1 rep. Getting close to 300!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    PRed my overhead squat this week by 12lbs! PRed my box jump height as well...36"

what? she asked for PRs

Being a "professional" you must understand the ridiculousness of doing a maximal effort on an exercise such as an overhead squat.

Besides the obvious high risk nature of the movement, leave it to a Crossfitter to say they PR'd on it. Next week you'll be bragging about your wrist curl PR.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    The high risk nature of doing. ..a squat holding something over head? You can't be serious. It's a functional movement, not playing with broken glass. I suppose it would be dangerous to those who can't perform it properly and find it too humbling to continue doing. Have fun with your dumbell curls and calf raises.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people hate on Crossfitters. I would love to try it but simply can't afford it. If you can handle what they throw at you at Crossfit I say brag about it and get the friggin tshirt. You should be proud that you can handle it.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    To add to the max effort comment, I normally train OH squats (and all squats) 5-5-5-5-5 with the last set being 80% of my one rep max. How do you suppose I know what 80% of my one rep max is if I never find out my one rep max? Its something maybe every 2 months I do to get an updated figure.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

what? she asked for PRs

Being a "professional" you must understand the ridiculousness of doing a maximal effort on an exercise such as an overhead squat.

Besides the obvious high risk nature of the movement, leave it to a Crossfitter to say they PR'd on it. Next week you'll be bragging about your wrist curl PR.

I am not a "Crossfitter" and I still OH Squat- and I keep track of how heavy it gets. PRing isn't something limited to CFers.

I don't think it's ridiculous to keep track of weight at all. It's a GREAT exercise- and it really shows you any weak links you have in your chain. It's kind of like the be all end all of squats. If you can do them well with weight- you should know you are solid with everything else. I don't understand the animosity.

I don't even like crossfit all that much and I don't understand your comments.
  • pebblesbuddy
    Options
    Thank you for commenting! Some people just don't get it, they think they do, but they don't.
  • pebblesbuddy
    Options

what? she asked for PRs

I am not a "Crossfitter" and I still OH Squat- and I keep track of how heavy it gets. PRing isn't something limited to CFers.

I don't think it's ridiculous to keep track of weight at all. It's a GREAT exercise- and it really shows you any weak links you have in your chain. It's kind of like the be all end all of squats. If you can do them well with weight- you should know you are solid with everything else. I don't understand the animosity.

I don't even like crossfit all that much and I don't understand your comments.

My last post was for you
  • pebblesbuddy
    Options
    To add to the max effort comment, I normally train OH squats (and all squats) 5-5-5-5-5 with the last set being 80% of my one rep max. How do you suppose I know what 80% of my one rep max is if I never find out my one rep max? Its something maybe every 2 months I do to get an updated figure.

Makes absolute sense. Seriously no need to justify it, for those who actually understand functional movements, you don't need to explain yourself.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't hate on crossfit, I hate on crossfitters. It's like some kind of cult. I've had to just walk away from people who go on and on about PR's and lifts and jumps and usually how switching to a Paleo diet has just improved their whole life. It gets nauseating and if they do stop talking about themselves long enough to ask about what I do it's usually met with eye rolling and sighing because I don't have any PR's to talk about. That's why people hate on crossfit.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    An instructor at my office this week was complaining about his shoulders screaming, because they had 4 WODS in a row that involved shoulder press movements.

Must go to one of those gyms where people are constantly getting hurt because they don't know what the heck they are doing. Who works the same muscle 4 days in a row with heavy lifting?

ETA: that being said, my boss goes to one of the GOOD boxes with knowledgeable trainers. I still hate the cult mentality and they fact that they hate on non-paleo people.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    The high risk nature of doing. ..a squat holding something over head? You can't be serious. It's a functional movement, not playing with broken glass. I suppose it would be dangerous to those who can't perform it properly and find it too humbling to continue doing. Have fun with your dumbell curls and calf raises.

It ignorance in the CF community is amazing. "Functional movement?" For who exactly?

...I can't seem to remember the last time I held a BB over my head when I squatted down on a toilet.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't hate on crossfit, I hate on crossfitters. It's like some kind of cult. I've had to just walk away from people who go on and on about PR's and lifts and jumps and usually how switching to a Paleo diet has just improved their whole life. It gets nauseating and if they do stop talking about themselves long enough to ask about what I do it's usually met with eye rolling and sighing because I don't have any PR's to talk about. That's why people hate on crossfit.

How is that any different than the people who answer every question with "you need to lift heavy" or bring up the squat rack randomly in every conversation? People like to talk about what they do. It happens. It's probably always slightly annoying to people who aren't as in to whatever thing those people are talking about. Cope.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

Makes absolute sense. Seriously no need to justify it, for those who actually understand functional movements, you don't need to explain yourself.

I don't understand functional movements....could you explain it to me?
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    An instructor at my office this week was complaining about his shoulders screaming, because they had 4 WODS in a row that involved shoulder press movements.

Must go to one of those gyms where people are constantly getting hurt because they don't know what the heck they are doing. Who works the same muscle 4 days in a row with heavy lifting?

ETA: that being said, my boss goes to one of the GOOD boxes with knowledgeable trainers. I still hate the cult mentality and they fact that they hate on non-paleo people.

Clearly he does NOT go to a good box with knowledgeable trainers...as any good crossfit trainer would NEVER program that way

ETA - most crossfitters are not paleo btw...MAYBE 5%...if that.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    There is a separate Crossfit Group here at MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

How is that any different than the people who answer every question with "you need to lift heavy" or bring up the squat rack randomly in every conversation? People like to talk about what they do. It happens. It's probably always slightly annoying to people who aren't as in to whatever thing those people are talking about. Cope.

I have lots of friends who are into some form of fitness. They have the ability to talk about other things and never start preaching that Thai boxing is the ONLY way to live and telling me they kicked the crap out of 3 guys yesterday for a PR. The runners don't go on and on about PR's or the fab new gu chew they ate. The cyclist don't spend an hour extolling the virtue of the new tire they got. They have, like you know, a life!

Only crossfitters will talk about crossfit ad nauseum until you have to fake an illness to get away from them while they're yelling at you that if you just went Paleo you wouldn't be sick.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options

I have lots of friends who are into some form of fitness. They have the ability to talk about other things and never start preaching that Thai boxing is the ONLY way to live and telling me they kicked the crap out of 3 guys yesterday for a PR. The runners don't go on and on about PR's or the fab new gu chew they ate. The cyclist don't spend an hour extolling the virtue of the new tire they got. They have, like you know, a life!

Only crossfitters will talk about crossfit ad nauseum until you have to fake an illness to get away from them while they're yelling at you that if you just went Paleo you wouldn't be sick.

I know what you're saying, but please don't put all crossfitters into that category...I posted my PR here because the OP asked for PRs...I, and tonnns of my CF friends, rarely (if ever!) talk about crossfit outside of gym or each other. I think the reason a lot of CFers are how you described, is because they're really passionate about it...it's genuinely fun. It feels like a family environment. It's exciting to them. When something is exciting, it's hard not to talk about it. But many still refrain from talking about it