Loose Skin

Options
Is it possible to tighten it? I know I have heard it isn't possible but I have hope. My legs and arms had loose skin and now are becoming tighter and firmer. My big problem is my stomach. My last resort is surgery.I really would like to do this through exercise though. Has anybody dealt with this or know any exercises to help? I am currently doing Insanity.

Replies

• kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For someone who has lost as much weight as you I'm not sure. But, after pregnancy I had loose skin on my stomach and I tried Nivea skin tightening lotion and it worked pretty darn well.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it will sometimes it won't ... age, how fast you lost the wright, how long you were at that weight, etc. are all factors ... If it doesn't bounce back on it's own, you have two options A.) Lift weights and fill out the skin w/ muscle or B.) Plastic surgery ...

ETA: I'd give it some time, but if the tummy doesn't snap back, then surgery to remove the skin is probably your best bet ... But if you ever have anymore kids, you might have to revise it ...
  • addicted2numbers
    addicted2numbers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For someone who has lost as much weight as you I'm not sure. But, after pregnancy I had loose skin on my stomach and I tried Nivea skin tightening lotion and it worked pretty darn well.

Nice maybe I can try that. I had a c section almost 2 years ago. I know that plays a part in the skin too.
  • addicted2numbers
    Options
    Sometimes it will sometimes it won't ... age, how fast you lost the wright, etc. are all factors ... If it doesn't bounce back on it's own, you have two options A.) Lift weights and fill out the skin w/ muscle or B.) Plastic surgery ...

I choose muscle!!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ive had five kids and have loose skin on my stomach (and boobs.. boooo) ... Apparently it can take up to 2 years to show changes. I am l hopefull there will be some change... otherwise i may end up doing surgery ;)

good luck. and congrats on the awesome loss ;)
  • addicted2numbers
    Options
    Ive had five kids and have loose skin on my stomach (and boobs.. boooo) ... Apparently it can take up to 2 years to show changes. I am l hopefull there will be some change... otherwise i may end up doing surgery ;)

Thank you! I guess I could try to wait then. I am only 21 with 1 daughter and would like another child when the time comes.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Nice maybe I can try that. I had a c section almost 2 years ago. I know that plays a part in the skin too.

If you end up needing to get the tummy skin removed (the thigh and arm should be able to be taken care of for the most part w/ a good muscle building program, you can find a lot of advice on this forum about that) a plastic surgeon (a good one at least ... do your research) can most likely use your C-section scar, so you don't end up with 2 scars ...

ETA: Saw your other post ... You want more kids ... Definitely wait until your totally done, and abdominoplasty will involve suturing up your "inner girdle" of muscles, and if you get pregnant again, you'll undo everything you paid for (not to mention the pain of surgery and healing) ...
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Thank you! I guess I could try to wait then. I am only 21 with 1 daughter and would like another child when the time comes.

I also lift heavy.. this helps a tonne too.. I have noticed my skin slowly changing..

waiting is hard.. but worth it ;)
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you... I still have 30 lbs to get to my goal weight, but my stomach is my biggest problem with loose skin. I'm going to keep lifting heavy and when I reach my goal go from there. Some of it is genetics and the elasticity in your skin. Congrats on the weight loss!! :)
  • MassaWorks
    Options
    Yes, my wife and I have 3 children. She experienced the same thing with the loose skin on boobs, stomach & a little on her butt. With exercise she lost the baby fat but had the loose skin. Then she started adding weights with her exercises and eventually after about a year or so she filled in nicely. So yes, I agree here. :-)
  • addicted2numbers
    Options

If you end up needing to get the tummy skin removed (the thigh and arm should be able to be taken care of for the most part w/ a good muscle building program, you can find a lot of advice on this forum about that) a plastic surgeon (a good one at least ... do your research) can most likely use your C-section scar, so you don't end up with 2 scars ...

ETA: Saw your other post ... You want more kids ... Definitely wait until your totally done, and abdominoplasty will involve suturing up your "inner girdle" of muscles, and if you get pregnant again, you'll undo everything you paid for (not to mention the pain of surgery and healing) ...

That would be great to only keep the same scar. Yeah I think about it a lot but I want to wait because that would be horrible to go for that surgery and then stretch it out all over again.
  • addicted2numbers
    Options

I also lift heavy.. this helps a tonne too.. I have noticed my skin slowly changing..

waiting is hard.. but worth it ;)

Awesome. How much do you lift? I can't join a gym so I workout at home.
  • addicted2numbers
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you... I still have 30 lbs to get to my goal weight, but my stomach is my biggest problem with loose skin. I'm going to keep lifting heavy and when I reach my goal go from there. Some of it is genetics and the elasticity in your skin. Congrats on the weight loss!! :)

Thanks and congrats on yours!!! Is weights more important than cardio to lose the skin? I have a lot of muscle. If that skin was gone I would not be suprised to look slightly ripped lol. I build muscle very easily.
  • addicted2numbers
    Options
    Yes, my wife and I have 3 children. She experienced the same thing with the loose skin on boobs, stomach & a little on her butt. With exercise she lost the baby fat but had the loose skin. Then she started adding weights with her exercises and eventually after about a year or so she filled in nicely. So yes, I agree here. :-)

That is very great to hear! :) When I finish Insanity, I will find a program more focused on muscle than cardio.