Do I pay attention to calories, carbs, fat, and protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• cjeanthiele
    Options
    This one floored me for a minute, as I don't know anyone with "too much" muscle...but then, I'm a middle aged bookkeeper. Generally, muscles are a good thing as they keep your metabolism up. The rules I have gone by are 1) protein goals are a floor (avoid going under); 2) Same thing for fiber; 3) calorie goals are a target (get as close as possible) unless I start to gain more than 2 pounds from my last low weight 4) avoid processed sugars and make sure you get some good fats
    The last is the hardest as MFP feels a sugar is a sugar, but in my case I react differently to corn syrup than I do to fresh fruit. I don't eat as many vegetables as most people will recommend as I have food intolerances that make some of them difficult to digest, along with gluten and dairy products. The last items are purely personal... some of these things you will have to adjust as you go along and learn more about how your body works. Good luck and don't panic every time you pick up a little water weight; if you keep at it you'll get there.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    These are guidelines, going over or under once in a while won't kill you. On protein it is better to go over. On fats it is better to stay close to the target and on calories try to come as close as possible. It takes a while to get used to it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am just gettin started with myfitnesspal and do not understand how to use it. Do I try to keep the calories, carbs, fat and protein under count? I find it easy to stay under in the calories, but not in the protein. Should I pay attention to all of them or just pick either calories or carbs to stay under?

Watch "bad" carbs . Don't eat "white" or "processed." Eat whole grains, fruit, and veggies.

Don't confuse the newbie with dieting myths such as "bad carbs" and "don't eat white food."
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This tool is completely customizable. When you click on the "goals" tab you will find there is a green button link called "Change Goals."

From there you can select "guided" or "customize" based on your personal needs. For instance if you are under a doctor's orders to limit sugar or sodium, you can make your diary reflect those numbers under the "customize" section.

If you are not under any kind of medical limitations, I recommended going with the guided settings for a few weeks and really only pay attention to calories. Then take some time to make friends and read the forums to compare your results with others.

At the point where you are feeling more comfortable with the tools, try making some changes to your settings to see if switching up your macronutrients that you track is more helpful in reaching your goals.

Personally, I eliminated the sugar setting and added in sodium and fiber. Some people prefer to track other macronutrients. It is your tool, use it to best suit your needs.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i ignore everything but the calories. i aim to eat a healthy diet and stick below a certain calorie level.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    i ignore everything but the calories. i aim to eat a healthy diet and stick below a certain calorie level.

You are going to be awarded the most likely poster on this thread to be successful.

I thought I already had that one. :(

skip it. ;)
  • minsooky
    Options
    If your goal is to just lose weight, then really calories is the one that matters. If you are an athlete, bodybuilder, or having special dietary needs, you'll need to pay attention to other things...for instance, I'm a BBer so I pay attention to my protein intake as well as my fat intake (mostly because I seem to never eat enough fat though lol). Good luck!
  • blondieqaz
    blondieqaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight loss is my main goal, but I also want to eat healthy and develop a lifestyle plan. I want to be able to maintain the weight loss.
  • j2cool2
    Options
    I once dropped about 60 lbs in about 2 and a half months. I mostly watch calories, fat (types of fat as well), protein, and sodium. Aside from that, I stay away from processed foods and mostly eat a very veggie/fruit/fiber/protein heavy diet with an emphasis on staying in line with serving size and managing the timing of my meals. In regards to sugar/carbs, I mostly try to limit it to 6-20g for snacks and meals. Also, I try to limit simple sugars and aim for more naturally occurring sugars (ie. honey as a sweetener). Of course, I also work out 3-6 times a week as physical activity is important to mental fortitude in all aspects of life but plays a role in maintaining your fitness goals, burning fat, and building muscles to keep fat from coming back. In my opinion, the key to weight loss is about balance. You have to figure your body type, your amount of physical activity, and your fitness goals to determine how much you should be eating a day, and combine that with feeding your body the foods it's actually built to breakdown(mostly plant and plant based foods but poultry[breast,wings] and fish, NEVER FRIED UNLESS OVEN, are cool too). Sadly, in the U.S. you have to kind of go out of your way, all day every day, to find the foods that are better for you. Literally, almost everything in front of your face and ALL the staple foods of our country will make you fat/kill you. It can make it really difficult to do the right thing with foods, depending on where you live here, because it's extremely normal to eat horrible foods, that aren't only high in everything bad for but also contain mystery ingredients, in most places here, and seen as odd to strictly eat the foods meant for you, but your body immediately reacts positively when you cut the crap.
  • j2cool2
    Options
    To add, most soft drinks aren't that good for you at all. It's best to primarily drink water, fruit infused water is pretty good, or juice your own fruits if you want something different. DO NOT buy into the gimmick of Gatorade or energy drinks nothing is better for you than H2O. Water Boy had it's truths.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would say if your extremely obese and have a lot weight to lose, all you really should need to do is count your calories, when weight loss stalls, then you probably need to pay attention to all.

Protein is what I need more off, sodium doesn't seem to important, all you get is temporary weight gain, and the weight gain isn't fat, just water.