Sugar types: It really does matter WHAT we eat

Options
Hi all,

I have heard/read a lot lately about how what we eat is the real problem, not so much the quantity that we eat (obviously quantity plays a part though).

One of the main things I have read about recently is that fructose (that innocent, NATURAL sugar) is actually the worst type of sugar for us to ingest if we are trying to lose weight. Apparently "after eating 120 calories of glucose, one calorie is stored as fat. After 120 calories of fructose, 40 calories are stored as fat." (link below) This is because of its structure, the fact that it is processed by the liver, and also that it is not controlled by insulin.

I found this very interesting article, which the above quotation is taken from, which has a LOT of information about sugar. It seems that fructose in whole (unprocessed) fruit is not as bad as in processed fruit and other liquid sources. http://www.inspirationgreen.com/all-the-different-sugars.html

I have also read recently that eating real food, i.e. non man made food, is good for losing weight and general health. Apparently we evolved to process natural foods, and eating things like bread means we can't process it properly. We just weren't made to process grains like that.

I think the paleo diet is along the same lines as this. While I am not going to limit myself to raw, natural foods, I am cutting out most processed foods (bread does make me feel bloated). I still eat things like soup though, as that fills you up, and I have found that half a packet of crisps satisfies a craving for fat, salt and carbs but is not too many calories. Soup (approx 100kcal), 1/2 pack crisps (aprox 70kcal) and a massive pile of salad for lunch is great :)

Replies

• tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Another good source of sugar info: http://modernhealthmonk.com/natural-sweeteners-sugar-myth/

Honey is high is fructose :( bad for weight loss!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Who eats whole grains unprocessed ?

When I've read actual science (as opposed to editorial) the connections between eating sugars and depositing fats that you describe don't appear. If you eat 10 grams of anything you'll use it up in the hour or two after eating it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The frustrating thing about these types of discussions is that people tend argue the extreme ends of the spectrum but totally miss the middle where most people fall. I predict the same for this thread.

I doubt anyone really says that you can eat nothing but zomg pop terts, fizzy pop and Doritos over the long term and expect optimal health. It is absolutely the case that the quality of calories matter to the extent you meet your nutritional needs. Once these are met you can have a little of what you fancy.

You cannot view things in isolation but need to consider the overall composition of the diet and any relevant medical issues.

This isn't a new concept - a balanced diet, discretionary calories, IIFYM, whatever you want to call it. I really don't understand the compulsion to make things so difficult.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

eating more calories than you burn :( bad for weight loss!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have heard/read a lot lately about how what we eat is the real problem, not so much the quantity that we eat (obviously quantity plays a part though).

One of the main things I have read about recently is that fructose (that innocent, NATURAL sugar) is actually the worst type of sugar for us to ingest if we are trying to lose weight. Apparently "after eating 120 calories of glucose, one calorie is stored as fat. After 120 calories of fructose, 40 calories are stored as fat." (link below) This is because of its structure, the fact that it is processed by the liver, and also that it is not controlled by insulin.

I found this very interesting article, which the above quotation is taken from, which has a LOT of information about sugar. It seems that fructose in whole (unprocessed) fruit is not as bad as in processed fruit and other liquid sources. http://www.inspirationgreen.com/all-the-different-sugars.html

I have also read recently that eating real food, i.e. non man made food, is good for losing weight and general health. Apparently we evolved to process natural foods, and eating things like bread means we can't process it properly. We just weren't made to process grains like that.

I think the paleo diet is along the same lines as this. While I am not going to limit myself to raw, natural foods, I am cutting out most processed foods (bread does make me feel bloated). I still eat things like soup though, as that fills you up, and I have found that half a packet of crisps satisfies a craving for fat, salt and carbs but is not too many calories. Soup (approx 100kcal), 1/2 pack crisps (aprox 70kcal) and a massive pile of salad for lunch is great :)

tumblr_mv4zkbWYpX1sj3oxho1_500.gif

WTF is a "processed fruit"? Is that dried fruit? I need to know how you define processed and unprocessed because I take them fairly bluntly; ie: cutting up an apple makes the apple "processed".

Mostly I'm in to read later.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It's according to what your goals are. For weight loss, it doesn't matter at all. It really is calories in/calories out.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The frustrating thing about these types of discussions is that people tend argue the extreme ends of the spectrum but totally miss the middle where most people fall. I predict the same for this thread.

I doubt anyone really says that you can eat nothing but zomg pop terts, fizzy pop and Doritos over the long term and expect optimal health. It is absolutely the case that the quality of calories matter to the extent you meet your nutritional needs. Once these are met you can have a little of what you fancy.

You cannot view things in isolation but need to consider the overall composition of the diet and any relevant medical issues.

This isn't a new concept - a balanced diet, discretionary calories, IIFYM, whatever you want to call it. I really don't understand the compulsion to make things so difficult.

Well said.

I give this thread till noon. Then it will be locked ;)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Weight loss is about calories. Period.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mv4zkbWYpX1sj3oxho1_500.gif

There I spent 5 minutes looking for the perfect gif but yours is definitely MUCH better :D
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Okay so we've covered that weightloss is cals in vs cals out. Can anyone tell me about maintaining and muscle gaining? Can sugar affect that?

No sarcastic and rude comments please, it's a genuine question and I would just like a genuine answer :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I have trouble choosing sugar types. .. do I want ice cream or a mocha latte?

These are the questions.
  • drdeeder
    drdeeder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great points--thanks for the post. I just read the book, In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan--it is about this same topic. You might like it--very readable and with a lot of research.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Another good source of sugar info: http://modernhealthmonk.com/natural-sweeteners-sugar-myth/

So is Agave. I eat alot of both. I am sooooooooo fat and on the verge of a diabetic coma erry day. I also eat 3 cups of Fruity pebbles after every workout and poop rainbows. SRS
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh well, my body can't process fiber so it is detrimental to my health and considered healthy by others... Now I am guessing ice crean for breakfast is bad... Do what works for you!
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    People interested in this thread should read a book called: Why do we get fat (cant remember the author) ..

Anyways, everybody has their own ideas - i gave up carbs almost 90% in 1999 when i weighed in at 86kg's, with little excercise, in less than a year i was down to 67kgs - by 2002 put most of the weight back!

this time round - August 2011 - weighing in at 96/97kgs - today weighing 72/73kgs , much much much more excercise yet longer slower road to weight loss.

Moral of story - whatever you plan to implement - do it with the idea that its going to be for the long haul .... its a marathon, not a sprint!

Good luck to you all whatever route you take!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I changed protein powders once because of this article (it used Fructose).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/02/cancer-fructose-idAFN0210830520100802
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

So is Agave. I eat alot of both. I am sooooooooo fat and on the verge of a diabetic coma erry day. I also eat 3 cups of Fruity pebbles after every workout and poop rainbows. SRS

I bet a bowl of Count Chocula would even out the color scheme.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Its never as simple as anyone says. That said, calories are the best number to go by, as they seem to be the most accurate. We can get as scientific as we think we need, but in the end...if you one does not adhere to calories, they are set up to fail.

Adhering to calories, while eating foods and macros that trigger satiety = success.

People with a lot of weight to lose need not even consider calories. Just eat whole foods that are satisfying, and the calories will fall where they need.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    IN for awesome gifs that will ensue.

(Also because apparently no one has ever eaten processed foods and sugars and been able to lose weight effectively. :huh:)