Need help with weight!! Please respond

Options

Replies

• SteveEldredge
    Options
    Don't get hung up on the exercising. It will make little difference to your weight. Anyone who is serious about fitness e.g cyclists and runners will tell you that you can't exercise away a bad diet and the most important thing is to regulate what you eat. My advice to you is to eat what Myfitnesspal tells you. If it says 2900 calories per day then try and make sure you get that into you. If you eat too little you will get ill, especially if you are exercising, and your body will go into starvation mode which will badly affect your weight loss.
    I started using the app about 10 days ago. My daily allowance is 1920 calories. One day last week I only took in 1000 calories and went for a 5k run. The next day I felt exhausted and nauseous.
    Make sure you get enough calcium, iron etc, don't just focus on the carbs,protein and fat.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of conflicting opinions out there and the information may seem like a hurricane.

Here is my 2 cents.

2 years ago - I started out at about 200lbs (5'7" male)
    I lost 25 lbs by eating 1000-1200 calories per day and I felt terrible. i couldn't even run 1 mile without feeling bad and I could only walk 2 miles.
    I was always irritable and "hangry" too!
    When I finally reached my goal weight about 175 I GAINED IT ALL BACK in 3 months by binging like a dog. But, I had less lean body mass and was worse off than when I started.

I now eat 2000 cals per day and eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories. I have been losing on an average of 1-2 lbs per month now and I feel great.

My vote - Read, Learn, Eat more - we are here to support you! :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes
  • suzismurf75
    suzismurf75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just remember that eating even 500 calories less per day than your body needs to maintain your CURRENT weight, will result in a 1lb/week weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race. Take advantage of the opportunity to scale back your calories gradually. The more you lose, the less calories you get. ;-)

Good luck on this journey!!
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I don't feel qualified to give advice but I am so inspired by your motivation I wanted to congratulate you!! Keep going and thanks for keeping me inspired!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your commits , So if I understand this, If It says I burn 4,550 calories aday by doing nothing, then if I eat 1,900-2,00 a day and still walk 35-40mins 5 days a week does this mean I will lose weight? I just can't see that! as I am only burning 340 calories through workouts and that's no where more burned calories then I am taking in! I read in order to lose weight you have to burn more than you eat, well if I eat 1,500-1,800 let's say a day and only burn 340 from workouts then I am not burning enough!! Right????

I am just so confessed! and need the best help.

When "they" say you need to eat less than you burn, they're talking about the 4550, not the 340 you burn in the gym. I just ran your numbers and came up with a BMR of just under 3000 - that's the number of calories your body needs just to cover the basic functions, as if you were in a coma, like breathing, blood circulation, digestion, healing, etc. Your TDEE including exercise is 4550 and your sedentary TDEE is 3570. Knowing all of that, you could even eat up to 3000 calories per day and lose weight as that's providing a deficit of about 1500 from your active TDEE. 2000 should be the bear minimum that you eat per day but I would advise trying to get closer to the 3000.

FYI, as you lose and/or your activity level changes, these numbers will need to be adjusted.

The website I used is linked below:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sure I am 30 years old 6' 3'' and as of today My scale says I am down to 346.8 pounds, I have just started to walk 35 mins aday for 5 day a week before I was not active at all.

best chris
    I entered your values into a tdee calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and the values for sedentary lifestyle are

Your BMR is: 2714 Calories/Day
    Your TDEE is: 3257 Calories/Day

The BMR is the calories your body burns to stay alive. TDEE is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period comprising the BMR and everything else you do during the day. To loose wait you need to eat below your TDEE. I think -15% is the suggested deficit which would put you at 2680cal / day. Please consider that this are the numbers for sedentary lifestyle. If you have for example a physical job your tdee might even be higher. You can adjust this in the link above.

ETA: Don't give up!!!!
    ETA: Don't get confused that numbers are slightly different than from above post. There is always a slight margin of error but it doesn't matter if you keep to the numbers from above or these in both cases it is correct: If you eat at 3000cal /day you will still loose weight because it is below your TDEE
  • helpme8319
    Options
    Thanks for all of your helps and posts,

So If I understand this right and let me know if I am wrong.. If I eat 2,000 calories a day and walk 35-40mins each day 5 days a week I will still lose 1-2pounds a week???? I still just don't see it or understand. as again, I am only burning 340 from workouts and if I eat 2,000 then its more than I am burning!??????RIght??

Thanks again I will keep up on it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you try to cut to much to soon you will make yourself ill. Due to your current weight your body will need a certain amount to function.

I go to yhe gym and the guys say that any thing less ygan 1500 net may put you into starvation mode and you can become ill. I know I find it hard to take in and want to eat 1200 as thats what I thimk I should. Dont get me wrong my goal is 1290 but I exercise to get more.

Hope this helps x

Ignore this. You will not go into starvation mode by netting less than 1500.

OP, it sounds to me like you are doing a great job so far. You have quite a ways to go, so starting off 1200 should be fine. After awhile though, you will want to adjust it up to slow down your weight loss in order to preserve as much muscle as you can. Use the MFP settings and enter in a 2 lb weight loss per week (the maximum that is considered safe). At this point I wouldn't worry about trying to eat back your exercise calories. As you get closer to your goal, you can start fine tuning. Don't forget to regularly weigh yourself and log it, so MFP can do the necessary recalculations.

Good luck!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If you try to cut to much to soon you will make yourself ill. Due to your current weight your body will need a certain amount to function.

I go to yhe gym and the guys say that any thing less ygan 1500 net may put you into starvation mode and you can become ill. I know I find it hard to take in and want to eat 1200 as thats what I thimk I should. Dont get me wrong my goal is 1290 but I exercise to get more.

Hope this helps x

OP, it sounds to me like you are doing a great job so far. You have quite a ways to go, so starting off 1200 should be fine. After awhile though, you will want to adjust it up to slow down your weight loss in order to preserve as much muscle as you can. Use the MFP settings and enter in a 2 lb weight loss per week (the maximum that is considered safe). At this point I wouldn't worry about trying to eat back your exercise calories. As you get closer to your goal, you can start fine tuning. Don't forget to regularly weigh yourself and log it, so MFP can do the necessary recalculations.

Good luck!

^^ This. I know everyone means well by jumping in with the TDEE equations, but let the poor man establish himself with MFP first.

OP, when you set up your account, you told it that you wanted to lose X amount of pounds per week right? MFP is set up that you can lose weight by eating the recommended calories only. If you set it up that you want to lose 2 pounds per week, eat the amount that it gives you (not less!!). You WILL lose weight.

Keep up with the walking, but don't think of walking to lose weight, think of walking to become healthy.

It's not all that complicated, as long as you don't make it complicated. You can do this!! Eat the amount that MFP gives you for 4 weeks and see how much you are down. If it's very little, then change things up, but I suspect with just the change in behavior (giving up soda, counting calories), you'll lose quite a bit in the beginning.

Be sure to weigh and measure everything to be accurate! You got this!

Good luck!!!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your commits , So if I understand this, If It says I burn 4,550 calories aday by doing nothing, then if I eat 1,900-2,00 a day and still walk 35-40mins 5 days a week does this mean I will lose weight? I just can't see that! as I am only burning 340 calories through workouts and that's no where more burned calories then I am taking in! I read in order to lose weight you have to burn more than you eat, well if I eat 1,500-1,800 let's say a day and only burn 340 from workouts then I am not burning enough!! Right????

I am just so confessed! and need the best help.

There is a lot of confusing information out there...I so get that. Know this...You can eat at 1900 to 2200 calories a day and lose weight, especially if you're working out. You should get the actual numbers though from a Nutritionist or a Doctor and you may want to look at having a body composition analysis done. That will give you a true, healthy goal weight based on YOU, not on a chart. Go get em! You've got this!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your helps and posts,

So If I understand this right and let me know if I am wrong.. If I eat 2,000 calories a day and walk 35-40mins each day 5 days a week I will still lose 1-2pounds a week???? I still just don't see it or understand. as again, I am only burning 340 from workouts and if I eat 2,000 then its more than I am burning!??????RIght??

Thanks again I will keep up on it.

You're confusing things with thinking you only burn calories when you exercise.

You burn calories just by being alive. That's your BMR.

The 340 burned from your workouts is added to your BMR, along with everything you do during the day (washing up, cooking, walking to the loo, etc.). That's your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expended).

I don't want to add more until you understand that exercise calories don't equal the calories your body burns in a day.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Going by the TDEE calculator in 2 different methods on the IIFYM site it puts you at 3829 and 3817 respectively. Your RMR averaged by 5 methods is 3175. This is the definition:

What Are Basal & Resting Metabolic Rates (RMR)?

These two terms are used interchangeably, although they are not technically the same. Resting metabolic rate is really what most lay people mean when they say basal metabolic rate, and I talk here only about resting metabolic rate (RMR). Basal metabolic rate is a precise calculation with a precise definition; RMR is close enough for practical purposes.

I ran it through the calculator with 30 minutes of activity(walking) which is included in the TDEE calculation.

Here is a link to the weight loss tool that I used to calculate how many calories to eat to both lose and/or maintain. TDEE-20% is a good place to start.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Hope this helps and I am definitely no expert at this, but I have worked a lot with my trainers to get fit and I can relate to the confusion with the numbers in the beginning. Best of luck to you!
  • helpme8319
    Options

Hope this helps x

Good luck!

^^ This. I know everyone means well by jumping in with the TDEE equations, but let the poor man establish himself with MFP first.

OP, when you set up your account, you told it that you wanted to lose X amount of pounds per week right? MFP is set up that you can lose weight by eating the recommended calories only. If you set it up that you want to lose 2 pounds per week, eat the amount that it gives you (not less!!). You WILL lose weight.

Keep up with the walking, but don't think of walking to lose weight, think of walking to become healthy.

It's not all that complicated, as long as you don't make it complicated. You can do this!! Eat the amount that MFP gives you for 4 weeks and see how much you are down. If it's very little, then change things up, but I suspect with just the change in behavior (giving up soda, counting calories), you'll lose quite a bit in the beginning.

Good luck!!!

Thanks I got it So If you don't mind me asking you said give it 4 weeks and if no chage up it does that mean up the calories intake or lower them?

Thanks chris
  • SugafreeNsweet
    SugafreeNsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think when someone has to lose a large amount of weight they should be assisted by their doctor first (assuming you haven't already contacted your dr). Most of the time there could health concerns that need to be taken under consideration....Maybe you should start there or get a nutritionist to help or personal trainer involved just to get started with mapping out a diet and fitness plan

Good Luck!!!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think when someone has to lose a large amount of weight they should be assisted by their doctor first (assuming you haven't already contacted your dr). Most of the time there could health concerns that need to be taken under consideration....Maybe you should start there or get a nutritionist to help or personal trainer involved just to get started with mapping out a diet and fitness plan

Good Luck!!!

Totally agree with this statement. If not your doctor, seek out the help of a registered dietician. They'd give you much better advice than the rest of us can. Good luck on your journey!
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Hope this helps x

Good luck!

Good luck!!!

Thanks I got it So If you don't mind me asking you said give it 4 weeks and if no chage up it does that mean up the calories intake or lower them?

Thanks chris

There are several things that you can do if you are not seeing the expected results after 4 weeks.

1. Evaluate how accurately you are logging your food (are you weighing it, using measuring cups, forgetting to add the odd almond here or there).
    2. You can try lowering the amount MFP is suggesting you eat by ~ 100 to 200 calories a day.
    3. Make sure you are tracking your weight every day at the same time (or once a week if you like) but do it first thing in the morning, nekkid. MFP needs to know your weight so it can update its suggested calorie goals.
    4. You might want to try increasing your protein, as MFP is notorious for setting it on the low side. To do that, you will have to go with the 'custom' option when you go in to change your goals.

I'm sure there are other things you can do that I am not thinking of off the top of my head. Surely someone else will be able to chime in as well.

:flowerforyou:

Edited because my grammar sucks!
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Good Luck!!!

Totally agree with this statement. If not your doctor, seek out the help of a registered dietician. They'd give you much better advice than the rest of us can. Good luck on your journey!

I also agree this is good advice. We can't possibly know what if any health concerns you have that should be taken into consideration.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Put your info into MFP and eat the number of calories that they give you plus the number that you burn exercising. The person that set this site up was very smart and doesn't need us to fix it or think about it. If you do just what it says you will lose weight.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Hope this helps x

Good luck!

Good luck!!!

Thanks chris

There are several things that you can do if you are not seeing the expected results after 4 weeks.

1. Evaluate how accurately you are logging your food (are you weighing it, using measuring cups, forgetting to add the odd almond here or there).
    2. You can try lowering the amount MFP is suggesting you eat by ~ 100 to 200 calories a day.
    3. Make sure you are tracking your weight every day at the same time (or once a week if you like) but do it first thing in the morning, nekkid. MFP needs to know your weight so it can update its suggested calorie goals.
    4. You might want to try increasing your protein, as MFP is notorious for setting it on the low side. To do that, you will have to go with the 'custom' option when you go in to change your goals.

I'm sure there are other things you can do that I am not thinking of off the top of my head. Surely someone else will be able to chime in as well.

:flowerforyou:

Edited because my grammar sucks!

Your grammar is fine.... speaking as a grammar pedant :smile:

OP: I think this is very good advice
  • helpme8319
    Options
    OK, So, I am going to put this all out on the table this morning, I cant afford a Doctor or dietain vist as I do not have insurance, and I have always been told to lose weight you have to do it on your own.

OK, so I did what a lot of you said yesterday and I eat 2,000 calories so I feel guilty as I weighted 346.2 before yesterday, by eating 2,000 calories it put me in the red on my sodium and in the red on suger sodium was 2,700 over my daily intake and my suger was 89 over my daily intake. and I am now 346.9 so I have gained .07 pounds by eating that much!

Now I thanks you all for your posts.and a few of you have said not to look at the carbs, sodium, or suger right now.

But I have got a few PM that said I am set to fail as I am eating too many carbs, and sodium and suger, and I should not eat grapes for snack as it is high in carbs.

so I am once again confuessed as to what to eat as a snack???????: I have giving up just about everything I gave up sodas, sweet tea and fried foods, I no long go to buger king, or bojangles in the moring and order 2 steak egg & cheese biscuits anymore. I no long eat French fries, or tater tots. ect.

I no long eat Big Mac's or whoppers I have stared eating grilled Chicken , greenbeans, Whole corn, and oatmeal.

So as I have been told in 8 PM emails As I am doing now by cutting calories, and walking and eating what I am I will not lose any weight!!

so I feel like giving up as I feel I am failing

Please let me know what to do! Or that I will not fail.