Help...Disney trip coming up.

Options
Hey all, in a few weeks I am going to Disney with the family. I have never been and could use some advice on how to stay on plan. From what I hear, there is all kinds of food everywhere at the parks. Hopefully some of it will be healthy and allow me eat clean.

Thanks.

Replies

• kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Pack fruit and snacks to take to the park. I did not see a lot of healthy choices. We planned on eating breakfast and dinner in our room (we had a full kitchen with pot/pans/silverware). So we purchased food and ate in the room. Probably not what you (or your wife) want to do while on vacation.

I am sure that the restaurants (that I believe you can utilize if you purchase a package deal) would have healthy options.

All the best and have fun at Disney.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm actually leaving for a 4-night Disney cruise (followed by a 3-night stay at Disney World) in a couple days. This will be my 3rd trip to Disney World in the past 3 years, though I've never been on one of their cruises. As far as Disney World goes, I think it's relatively easy to make good choices there. There are plenty of opportunities to swap out apple slices for fries or to eat salads or grilled chicken instead of fried... I think they actually do a pretty decent job at making more healthful options available. It's not like going to a health and fitness spa, by any means, but I do think it's possible to go there and behave yourself if you really want to.

In any case, hope you have a wonderful time (and it's OK to sneak in a treat here and there while on vacation)!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am a Disney freak!!! Love the place!! At WDW it is possible to eat as healthily or as unhealthily as you want to. There are various stands though the parks with fresh fruit, all the way up to the most delicious and fattening desserts you can imagine.

This site: http://allears.net/index.html Not only has park and event information, but if you go to the dining section, you can see menus for all of the restaurants at WDW. Both quick service (counter service), as well as restaurants.

Have a most wonderful and magical time and if you have any specific questions, please feel free to pm me!!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just went in September plenty of healthy options and I wore my body media and the lowest amount of steps I took in a day was over 18000, so just enjoy your vacation!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    Got back a couple weeks ago. You are going to walk sooooooo much that you will lose weight no matter WHAT you eat. But really, with all the exercise and excitement, you will just want lots of water and food will be the last thing on your mind!! If you get those little snack size zip lock bags and put your favorite snacks in them, u will be so happy you did because the food and stopping for it wont get in the way and slow you down from all the FUNNNNNN! Have a great time :) dreams really do come true! :)
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You are going to walk sooooooo much that you will lose weight no matter WHAT you eat

^ This. Have fun. You'll burn off the calories in a $9 churro in no time, haha. I grew up right next to the OG Disneyland. Still love that place
  • pizzmor
    pizzmor Posts: 37
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. This is a great community of people.

Much appreciated!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Which park are you going to? I've been to Disneyland twice. First time I got a turkey sandwich in Toonland, second time I got a turkey salad in Car's world in CA land. LOTS of options to eat normally.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    IMO, there is no reason not to just simply enjoy yourself while you are on vacation. I'm not saying to make them kick you out of an all you can eat buffet, but you get the idea. Just don't go overboard and you'll come back in the same shape you left in.

Make sure you wear comfortable sneakers.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's lots of food available, but very little of it will be healthy. You don't HAVE to eat it all, though!

Walk lots, drink plenty of water, have some fruit or nuts for snacks.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    We go to Disney every year for our vacation and they actually do have a lot of healthy options... it's just having the willpower to choose that over the goodies that are not so good. Most of the restaurants are pretty good about customizing your order if you ask for it as well. So if you get a veggie it's perfectly ok to request it be steamed with no added butter. If you go to Epcot the lands restaurant is AWESOME almost everything is grown right there in the park so everything is really fresh. If you visit the allears.net website you can look up menus at almost all the restaurants. I went through all the places we had reservations at and prepicked my meals so I could plan out a little better. I didn't bother trying to log calories though, we went down during the food and wine festival so it was almost impossible to log everything easily.

I made it a rule for myself to try to eat healthfully for the majority of meals and allowed myself one splurge a day, as long as you get right back at it when you get home you shouldn't do too much damage. Make sure you drink plenty of water too! And most of the hotels have gyms on site if you really feel like you need to keep up with your workouts (I'm the freak that goes to the gym on her vacation)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do a google search on healthy eating at Disney and you'll get the names of the restaurants that have healthy foods. I was there in April and didn't gain a pound even though I was eating what I wanted for breakfast (choc chip pancakes, French toast, you name it), I had a pastry, pizza, a hotdog, and spaghetti and meatballs in 4 days. But I ate healthy the rest of the time. Most restaurants have something healthy, and the hotel had healthy options as well (we stayed at one of the cheap ones).

Avoid the turkey legs, they are 1000 calories but for some reason people keep recommending them...
  • jaysull21
    Options
    If you go to Epcot the lands restaurant is AWESOME almost everything is grown right there in the park so everything is really fresh.

I second that recommendation. Very happy we chose that one last minute.
    Plus the characters are there for the kids too.