Plateau Busting for the Clean Eater.

Options
I eat clean, Primal Blueprint.
I have HIT A BRICK WALL over the last couple of weeks. Starting to weigh on me. Leave me any and all ideas please to bust through this hump and quickly!!!!! I only have 10-15 more to go!!! Wanted to be there by Christmas but at this rate I won't. Do I need to step up my exercise? Fast for a day? Eat more cals/less cals? UGH. I'm just frustrated-but I have to admit I haven't been getting much exercise except for cleaning my house........... Maybe that's it......

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    how many calories are getting right now? these last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to get. I know, I am right there with you. Trying to eat Primal Blueprint and get my last 15 now. It took me 2 weeks to drop 1 pound on the scale. Make sure you are measuring yourself. The scale is not the only measure of our success. Are you also exercising according to the Primal Blueprint?
  • hill242
    Options
    Another idea: Cycle in one day a week of eating at or over maintenance by 200-300 calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Idk a lot about clean eating but you could try to incorporate natural diuretics into you fruits and veggies- leeks and grapes. If you eat it with your balanced meals, it might help you push along.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to bust a true plateau (6 weeks or more of a stalled scale) is to change my menu around.
    Maybe it's time to give up on the primal blueprint diet and just eat well.
  • hill242
    Options
    Eating per the Primal Blueprint is eating well. You do bring up a good point, though, regarding timeframe for a true plateau (2 vs 6 weeks.) Again I urge the OP to measure other things - body measurements, or new PRs (personal records) when exercising.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I found the best way to bust a true plateau (6 weeks or more of a stalled scale) is to change my menu around.
    Maybe it's time to give up on the primal blueprint diet and just eat well.

Well the primal eating style is no my way of life. I wouldn't have it any other way....... I really believe I'm eating how my body wants me to eat.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Eating per the Primal Blueprint is eating well. You do bring up a good point, though, regarding timeframe for a true plateau (2 vs 6 weeks.) Again I urge the OP to measure other things - body measurements, or new PRs (personal records) when exercising.

Just read marks daily apple, and they talk about intermittent fasting...and another girl told me that her paleo nutritionist told her that would help.....

what do you think?
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    Alrighty then... I've never heard of the Primal Diet (or whatever it is, sounds kind of fad-like to me).

I eat whole, fresh foods. The only thing you'll find in my freezer is ice cubes.
    I guess I don't need a meal plan set out for me, I follow Michael' Pollan's wisdom, it's simple
    and it makes sense:

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

"Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."

"Don't eat anything incapable of rotting."

I've found that switching my diet up is what helps me break through a plateau.
  • hill242
    Options
    I'm personally on the fence regarding intermittent fasting. I've heard pros and cons from those who have done it. I wish I could offer you more on that subject, but I've not done it myself to give firsthand feedback.

It's taken me a couple months to ease into a primarily grain-free, non-processed diet ala Primal. I had been following MarksDailyApple.com via RSS for a while and just now borrowed the book from a friend. About 3 chapters in and have not finished. I do plan to buy my own copy after next payday =)

Like you I recently went through a couple weeks where the scale wouldn't go down... it even crept up 1-2 pounds at times. I know that what I am putting into my body is high quality and sub-maintenance in terms of calories, so I just figured this was a brief period where my body needed to work it out. This morning I had a 1 lb drop so I think I was right.
  • hill242
    Options
    Croaker, you are pretty much on principle with what is called Primal blueprint. When eating primal/paleo, you eschew processed foods including grains, and eat quality meats, vegetables, nuts, and fruits. I eat a lot of eggs, beef, chicken, pork, veggies of all kinds, almonds, pecans, apples, just to highlight a few things. I would not consider this a fad diet at all. It's definitely the most natural "diet" I've ever done for weight loss, and I really feel like I can stick to it.

One thing the Primal Blueprint advocates is an 80/20 approach. 80% clean, 20% "cheat". This can mean different things to different people. Some still have to have their beer (guilty). Or maybe it's just having one meal and a snack per week that isn't truly primal.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Alrighty then... I've never heard of the Primal Diet (or whatever it is, sounds kind of fad-like to me).

I eat whole, fresh foods. The only thing you'll find in my freezer is ice cubes.
    I guess I don't need a meal plan set out for me, I follow Michael' Pollan's wisdom, it's simple
    and it makes sense:

Check it out before calling it a fad!!! It's how cavemen ate!!!! K? No processed foods, lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts and berrys.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for the info. Sounds sort of like the maker's diet to me.
    I just did a little reasearch, it's nice that the primal dude doesn't advocate killing yourself at the gym, that's kind of cool.

I've been eating whole for a few years now, I guess clean eating is the new buzzword?
    I could never give up grains, just wouldn't work. BUT, I do try and stay away from GMO grains and opt for small production
    batches of flours, for example, to make my own bread. My general rule of thumb is, if I can't make it, I won't eat it.
    Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, like when I get invited over to a friends house for dinner.

To the original poster, try switching up your menu, add more protein, for example, or add less.
    Change up your snacks, or your breakfasts.
    I'm not an advocate for fasting or cleanses (not that you mentioned a cleanse) really.

The less you have to lose, the slower it is to come off.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for the info. Sounds sort of like the maker's diet to me.
    I just did a little reasearch, it's nice that the primal dude doesn't advocate killing yourself at the gym, that's kind of cool.

I've been eating whole for a few years now, I guess clean eating is the new buzzword?
    I could never give up grains, just wouldn't work. BUT, I do try and stay away from GMO grains and opt for small production
    batches of flours, for example, to make my own bread. My general rule of thumb is, if I can't make it, I won't eat it.
    Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, like when I get invited over to a friends house for dinner.

To the original poster, try switching up your menu, add more protein, for example, or add less.
    Change up your snacks, or your breakfasts.
    I'm not an advocate for fasting or cleanses (not that you mentioned a cleanse) really.

The less you have to lose, the slower it is to come off.

My average protien intake is around 120-150........... you think I'm getting too much?
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple suggests intermittent fasting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

Good luck, Girlie! You got this! :-)
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple suggests intermittent fasting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

Good luck, Girlie! You got this! :-)

I saw that!! And if you saw........I said you suggested it.!!!
    I think that's what I'm going to do.... I have my nutrients in for the day....... I'm already good on protien and fiber. I think I'm done until tomorrow at pm snack. that fits right into my today and tomorrow schedule too, because I will be busy and won't think about it anyhow!!!! I'm actually excited!

Now........... question............ do you drink anything while doing it? water? crystal light? anything?
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    I *think* the daily protein recommendation is somewhere around .36 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    But, I'm not a doctor so I can't speak to what's appropriate for you.

Processing protein can be hard on the body, even if it's lean & not all animal derived. It just takes more work, that's why we're fuller for longer. It's important, in my opinion, to drink a ton of water to move everything along. Try easing up on your protein, you're clearly getting enough, so it's not going to hurt you if you get a little less for a week or two. You may be suprised by the results.

I really don't think fasts are necessary, BUT, that's just my opinion.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

and it makes sense:

For more information about the Primal Diet (no, I don't follow it), copy and paste the attached link in your browser. You can also go to google.com for more information. Basically, and for what I read, this diet encourage eating raw foods.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article5940774.ece
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    Now........... question............ do you drink anything while doing it? water? crystal light? anything?
    [/quote]

You shouldn't ever really deprive your body of hydration. But if you're eating clean, I wouldn't recommend crystal light.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options

and it makes sense:

For more information about the Primal Diet (no, I don't follow it), copy and paste the attached link in your browser. You can also go to google.com for more information. Basically, and for what I read, this diet encourage eating raw foods.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article5940774.ece

Thanks for the info, I sort of already did a preliminary search, I'm not really interested in it beyond that.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options

You shouldn't ever really deprive your body of hydration. But if you're eating clean, I wouldn't recommend crystal light.
    [/quote]

true