Irregular bowel movement. Any tips?

Options
I believe I've been taking mostly healthy foods, however, my bowel movement is still irregular.
-Drinking at least 2 liters of water a day.
-Eating at least 3 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
-Including fish and chicken and pork in my diet.
-Eating instant oatmeals in the morning and trying to include yogurt daily as my snack.
STILL, i don't poop everyday. Any tips to have a regular bowel movement like daily.
I poop every other day or after 2 days, sometimes three!
I do not like to take pills as much as possible though...

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Some people don't poop as often as others. Also if you cut down your food intake you'll be cutting down your poop coming back out. It isn't necessary to poop every day if that isn't normal for you.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can try mixing Miralax with a drink daily and see if that's help. It doesn't cause your body to become dependent on it. I personally used Magnesium Citrate every couple of days.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem most of my life! I have started taking a probiotic pill every day. I've tried just about everything, I've even on a high dose for IBS. It doesn't seem to be working either. This is working so far to my amazement! What I got comes from our local grocery store Ingles. The name of it is Nature Made Digestive Health Probiotic. Hope this helps!
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Once a day? I'd be happy with once a week.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem most of my life! I have started taking a probiotic pill every day. I've tried just about everything, I've even on a high dose for IBS. It doesn't seem to be working either. This is working so far to my amazement! What I got comes from our local grocery store Ingles. The name of it is Nature Made Digestive Health Probiotic. Hope this helps!

Wish we have that available here in our country. :(
  • alechua
    Options
    I want to poop once a day. I feel uncomfortable not being able to poop daily. :(
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you've always felt ok but just never pooped every single day, I don't see what the problem is. Some people go every other day. Some people go three times a day. There's not a pooping standard we all need to abide by.
  • nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've found magnesium to be really helpful in that department. I take Natural Calm every night before bed as it helps me sleep, but it turns to magnesium citrate as its digested. I hate taking pills and you just mix this in some hot water. So far so good.....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I want to poop once a day. I feel uncomfortable not being able to poop daily. :(

Physically uncomfortable? Or mentally uncomfortable? If physically, what part feels uncomfortable? The stomach? Or do you just feel like you have to poop but can't?
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    try pitted prunes...they are soo good and they work...5/6 pitted prunes 100 cal. :)
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try eating 5 prunes for breakfast and have a 8oz glass of hot prune juice. Try that and a nice run should get things moving in there! Always works for me.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you were doing Keto/PSMF/RFL, then no poop wouldn't be unusual.

But with the amount of fruits and veggies you get? That should be more than enough fibre to move things along.
  • alechua
    Options

Physically uncomfortable? Or mentally uncomfortable? If physically, what part feels uncomfortable? The stomach? Or do you just feel like you have to poop but can't?

Yeah, somewhat mentally, because I feel it is much healthier to poop daily, like to detorxify...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you've always felt ok but just never pooped every single day, I don't see what the problem is. Some people go every other day. Some people go three times a day. There's not a pooping standard we all need to abide by.

^^^^ this

- eat a healthy diet
    - include fibre in your diet
    - drink plenty of water (fibre alone doesn't help, it needs water to help it along)

then just let your body fall into its own natural pattern. Don't try to force your body to meet a specific standard based on averages.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Works every time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Yeah, somewhat mentally, because I feel it is much healthier to poop daily, like to detorxify...

it isn't healthier to poop daily. It's healthiest to poop when you get the urge to. Holding it in too long when you need to go is bad for you, but if you go when you need to go and that happens to not be every day, then don't worry about it.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I take two gummy fiber and two gummy probiotics a day...It's like my little "candy" treat....I count the calories. It helps immensely. I have been irregular my entire life and have be mostly regular since stating this routine.
  • alechua
    Options
    Will try to include prunes in my diet. Hope it works. :)
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a bowel movement every day. It doesn't make a person "irregular", it is an assumption that started several decades back but has no bearing on how one's GI tract functions. Our GI tract is built to absorb nutrients and it doesn't follow a strict schedule all the time. If you are constipated/have excessively hard stools, straining when having a BM, have tenderness in your lower abdomen, blood coming with your stool (bright red blood tends to be a sign of internal hemorrhoids, however if the blood is dark go to the doctor IMMEDIATELY), or other symptoms taking a laxative or psyllium could be used. If it is merely that the timespan between BMs is further than 24 hours there isn't reason to worry.