mild laxative before weigh in

Options
has anyone ever done this??

i don't seem to need to go to no2 very often, every other day generally but sometimes it can be 3days and i'm sure this will be affecting my weigh ins

i know diabetic choc has a laxative effect(i used it for a 'clear out' when in labour) so i was wondering if it'd be ok to use it the night before a weigh in to make sure i'm not 'bunged up' for weigh in

has anyone ever done this??

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do nothing to try and sway my weigh-ins.
    Are you willing to take a pre-weigh in laxative from now on?

Maybe instead of taking a laxative, you should help things move along with more fiber, water, and healthy fats.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, you should 'go' every day. Try a colace maybe? Or senakot is good a gentle laxative.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I do 3 8oz glasses of prune juice the day before. One with lunch and two with dinner. It rocks.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Seems overboard to me, take more fiber and you won't need to use a laxative. If you don't gotta go, you weigh as is, the silly number on the scale seems like a dumb reason to go through all that trouble.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I grab an activia yogurt the day before or of. It helps me get an accurate number but its not going to far imo
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as an accurate number on the scale, it fluctuates, hourly. Just sayin'.
    And, you'd have to take at least 2 weeks worth of acidophilus/probiotics (activia) to reap the benefits, not
    just the day before weigh in. But hey, if it makes you feel better, go for it.
  • RunLove
    RunLove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i agree with other posts, you should be going everyday. I used to go only every 3 days and I started monitoriing my fiber intake and realized that was really low. Now I take in more fiber and I go every morning.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thanks for the opinions....i probably do need to eat more fibre so will try that first
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    I agree that you should look into adding more fiber in your diet. I started taking fiber pills every day and it changed my life! Plus you'll feel much lighter and happier.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    if you do it once you have to do it every time and all that will do is make you dependent on them. Highly do not recomend it as you can become depend on them.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    you really should poo at the VERY least once a day. people who eat a high meat diet (or just high protein in general, but its usually those carnivore types) dont go as often as they should. the more fiber from veggies you get, the better. also if you want a mild laxative effect why dont you try drinking coffee?

liquids and fiber will help a lot.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look into adding more fiber in your diet. I started taking fiber pills every day and it changed my life! Plus you'll feel much lighter and happier.

I take pysillum husk and it keeps me regular. the yogurts made my stomach grumbly :laugh:
    if I eat my greens, whole fruits and veggies and whole grain breads OH and water 8x8 every day, I have no issues.

As for it helping your weigh in.......it all depends on how psyched you are about the number.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    if you do it once you have to do it every time and all that will do is make you dependent on them. Highly do not recomend it as you can become depend on them.

tis true
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    It's not abnormal to not have a bowel movement every day - "normal" range is from daily to 3 times a week. I agree with upping your fiber and water intake in general, not just to please the scale on weigh in day. I'd avoid using laxatives, your body can become dependent on them and you won't be able to go without them.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am here to tell you - stay away from laxatives.
    What no one tells you is that when you start to lose them before a weigh in, you become addicted and continue to use them.
    Been there, done that as I was scared to face the scale and have a gain while I was on weight watchers years ago. I was already seeing a shrink for my depression and PTSD and she told me addiction to laxatives is basically purging your food, the same thing as throwing up and is a valid eating disorder. After doing this for so long I did a lot of damage to my intestines that I now am paying the price for.

I vote the good route and add some more fiber to your diet since you don't seem to go #2 a lot, but certainly do not do it for facing the scale. It leads to the wrong frame of mind, wrong training, and nothing else good.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    not healthy, clean pipes once and will just clog up again! eat enough fiber a day & problem goes away.[water]
  • shintowa
    Options
    I have been told by multiple doctors in my life you do not have to go #2 every day. In fact, if you are forcing yourself to do so you can be causing more harm than good (too much strain can lead to hemorrhoids getting worse, for instance). By all means look at your fiber to make sure you are getting enough, but just because you are not going #2 everyday does not mean there is a problem.

As to the OP, don't do it. Like others have said, you can become addicted to those things, they can cause problems, and are just a temporary solution. So what if you have a little "extra" when you weigh yourself? Most of the time you do, anyway.
  • sadiesmom
    Options
    What kind of fiber pills do you take? Do you also eat alot of fiber? Do you feel bloated?

Thanks,
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love the Diet Teas or Slimming Teas. When I'm not "regular" that really helps me!!!!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    EAT APPLES!! An apple a day....... blah blah blah. But they are a great source of fiber and have a lot of cardiovascular benefits to boot. I always find it's closer to clockwork for me when I'm eating an apple every day.