I never thought I would binge....

Options
How do you guys bounce back from a binge?
I never thought I'd ever lose control so much as to binge, but recently I have been binging frequently during the weekends. I used to have no desire for "junk food" but now, as I am down to my last 10lbs, I find myself losing all control when around these 'bad foods'. How do you guys deal with this end of journey struggle? After a binge, how do you find motivation to continue with your fitness journey? I'm so close, but the binging is making it so hard! Thanks.

Replies

• abetterbrandi
    Options
    Find it in yourself to have self control. Thats really the only way.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    10 lbs is really close! keep your eye on the prize! just remind yourself how good you'll feel once you meet your goal! food doesnt taste as good as skinny will feel! :)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Define "binge".

Are you eating "bad" foods, but staying within your calorie limits? If so, carry one, you'll still lose weight.

Are you blowing your calorie limit by hundreds of calories? If so, your diet is probably deficient in fats and protein. Eat more fats and protein, and stay away from sugar and simple carbs. Fats and protein make you feel more satisfied, sugar and simple carbs stimulate your hunger.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I can't help wondering if you are feeding yourself enough in general?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Define "binge".

Are you eating "bad" foods, but staying within your calorie limits? If so, carry one, you'll still lose weight.

Are you blowing your calorie limit by hundreds of calories? If so, your diet is probably deficient in fats and protein. Eat more fats and protein, and stay away from sugar and simple carbs. Fats and protein make you feel more satisfied, sugar and simple carbs stimulate your hunger.

I like this answer. It would also be nice to know what you've set your calorie limit to.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    This might be bad, disordered thinking to some, but whenever I'm about to consider a binge (which I know for myself is that moment I think "just a handful" and then "well, I'm probably going to go over my goal anyway"), I make myself look in the mirror or I pull my shirt up and look at my stomach. I then remind myself "do you really want this to look worse?" and something like "if you don't eat that, you'll be one day closer to your goal." Then I get a glass of water to get the taste of whatever I wanted to binge on (because I am only tempted once I've already had a bite...but there are plenty of times I can have a bite and stop, too...) and try to make myself busy.

If you don't have an eating disordered background this might not help you at all, but it's the best thing I've found for my occasional urges to inhale entire bags of cookies or whatever.
  • jenesishbm
    Options
    Define "binge".

I like this answer. It would also be nice to know what you've set your calorie limit to.

I'm 5'8, 20yrs, 143 lbs female and I have recently restarted my cut with 1300 calories. Dropped from 1500 calories about 2 weeks ago.
  • jenesishbm
    Options
    Define "binge".

If I 'binge' early int he day, I re arrange my meal plan for the day to account for the binge. So, if I end up scarfing down 800 calories for breakfast, I'll skip lunch and have a light dinner, usually. Other times, I find myself scouring the kitchen after dinner, and occasionally I may eat an additional 300 calories or so. Only rarely have I exceeded 500 calories over my limit. But I just feel so bloated, which makes the binge seem more dramatic than it really is. But still uncontrolled eating nonetheless.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The first step is to figure out why you're binging. Once you understand why you'll be able to get in front of the problem and stop it before it starts.

1. Take a good hard look at your diet. Are you cutting your calories too low? Cutting out any major food groups or foods you love? Are you deficient in any nutrients or vitamins? Make sure you're eating plenty of protein, fat, and fiber as these keep us feeling fuller and more satisfied.

2. Look at your trigger foods. Some people do very well cutting out sugars or carbs. For others that triggers a binge. Likewise processed foods, alcohol, etc. Look at what foods you're reaching for when you binge and decide whether or not to keep them in your diet.

3. Watch out for trigger emotions. The HALT acronym is a good place to start. Don't let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired as these are when we're more likely to binge. Try to pay attention to what you're feeling while you eat. Are you depressed? Bored? Nervous? If you're an emotional eater you may need to find some other way to channel those emotions other than eating. Talking to someone, journaling, yoga, whatever you find that works for you.
  • I agree with Diannethegeek

You need to figure out why you're bingeing (ex. starvation, emotional, bored, etc). Are you actually hungry when you're bingeing?

Whenever I have those cravings, I drink a bottle of water. About 20 minutes after that if I'm still hungry than I'll eat, but most of the time I'm eating outing of boredom.

Also, you have to keep your end goal in mind. Eating mindlessly is just gonna make you feel crappy, physically and mentally. Most people continue this cycle because they don't think they can get back on the horse.

Please, please, please make sure you're eating enough, because this could also result in over eating. Try to eat things with protein and good fats. I find that avocado, hard boiled eggs, or some celery with peanut butter are good snacks. These are going to keep you full versus empty calories.

Hope this helps :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Probably target is too low, leading to ravenous hunger. Plus, 800 cals is hardly a binge. And adjusting intake to account for eating a large meal is kinda normal.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Take a breathe, and move on. Tomorrow is a new day! =)

Join us to make November your binge free month!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51691-no-binge-november