Need opinions on running a Half Marathon!!!

Options
So I signed up for a half marathon and am now having second thoughts as the thought or running 13.1 miles is very daunting and impossible. As a quick back story, I have never considered myself a runner and have only been running off an on (not consistently) for an avg. of 2-3 miles for the past year or so. I ran a 5k back in May 2013 and actually found it very fun and pretty easy. A friend that I ran the 5k with, came to me this week and asked me to sign up for a half marathon with her. I thought it was a great idea and goal to try and achieve and signed up with her immediately. I went online right away and found a 20 week training program (there is exactly 20 weeks til the half marathon race) and started training this week ( I am very motivated to stay on track with the training plan) by running 3 miles off the bat, as that is where the mileage starts on the training plan. The problem is that, it felt like the hardest 3 miles I have ever run and could barley get through it! I am now starting to think that being able to run a half marathon in 20 weeks is not doable. Has anyone been in this situation before or think this is possible?

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It's very possible. Consistency is key!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. I used the Hal Higdon 13.1 training app and I was fine.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not every run will be your best. I am also training for a half marathon. Some days I have 10 mile runs that feel like a breeze, and then the next week I'll do a 3 miler that feels like I'm climbing a mountain. The key is make sure you are going at an easy steady pace, getting enough rest, and fueling your body with enough calories. :)
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 5th marathon and 2 weeks before the race, I honestly did not think I was going to finish. I've never felt this way before but I knew I was slightly undertrained and struggled with my 20miler and weekly distances. I completed the entire thing. The mileage seems daunting but sometimes it helps to break it down differently...for example at the start like I knew I was going to be running for 4.5 hours. So instead of ticking of miles, I ticked off time and tried to enjoy 5 songs on my Ipod before I even tried to look at my watch again.

The thing with training if its a mile up/mile down program is that right now 3 miles seems tough but when you run 6 miles and run the the 3 again, the will no longer seem tough. It will continue in this fashion. Stick to the program, trust the training, you will get there and you are stronger than you think.

One of my favorite Mantras, seen at the start of one of my marathons that always pushes me through is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, TODAY, is NOT that day."

It also helps to have friends come cheer you on, I have never seen my BF as proud as the day he ran me into a finish line, that was worth every mile and I'd do it again just for that.

Running is a mental game. Good luck. Feel Free to add me if you need help on your journey. :)
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no shame in walking part of a half marathon. If you do not feel well trained, you could plan to run/walk it. I trained to run/walk my first half marathon from absolutely nothing in 16 weeks. I do not necessarily recommend doing that, but I finished.

Also, there are always going to be random bad runs. Even if you are well trained. One bad run doesn't mean that you'll never be able to do it.

Stick with it and follow the plan, and see how you do!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much the story of my first half marathon. I ended up missing two of my longer runs at the end ( I was supposed to do 2 18k and 2 20k or something like that and only did one of each). I don't recommend that but I still finished.
    I also remember the feeling that 13.1 was inconceivable. I remember when my long run was 9k early on in training and wondering how I was going to finish that. Every week I tried the new distance and every week I finished. It was one of the best parts of the experience, learning that things you thought were impossible were possible.
    I have done several halfs since then. Now I am feeling this way about the marathon.

Good luck!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. I did the 16 week training on Runkeeper for "Beginner Half Marathon" and ran my first in 02:09:57. I'm 6' 235lbs and have been coming back from Achilles surgery (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jzalisa/view/progress-report-warning-graphic-surgery-photos-587043 ).

IMO, all you have to do to be successful is cross the finish line...and I think that at the very least, you can do that!

ETA: Good luck! :smile:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Its possible no doubt.

2.5 months after I started running I ran two half marathons in back to back days. You can do it. Pay attention to your body. Once you start hitting 5-6 miles regularly, its really no different than 11-12 miles. Its more mental than anything. Don't let your brain talk you out of it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I also agree with those saying some runs are just bad. I have had a couple of bad long runs on every single training program I've had. There will be good runs and there will be bad. Hang on to the good ones to remind yourself and forget the bad.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is this doable? It depends. I trained for my first half marathon with little running experience. But it depends on your health and the aggressiveness of your training. Hard training for a novice runner can get you injured easily.

Before you start, check with your physician. This is not a simple event for a new runner. Make sure you are at your best when you start.

20 weeks is a good long time for training for a half marathon. Most l have used were 12 weeks long. You've got 8 weeks to prepare for the training itself. :)

Some of the best plans I have seen come from Hal Higdon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

They are very conservative and he has good advice for beginners. Make sure you have not already selected a generic plan that has speed training in it. This is your first half marathon. You goal is to finish and only finish. Save the speed for your next one! :)

If you have no real running mileage you are doing up to this point, its going to be slow going at first. I would make sure you get REST days in between run days. Keep you pace low enough that you can speak when you run. Training is not the race.

As for the first run feeling really tough? You bet. Starting out with running that mileage can be hard on legs that don't run often. Start with lower mileage. Take walking breaks in the middle. You will build up your endurance eventually, but you need to do it slowly or you will end up with an injury that will take you out of the race entirely.

Lastly, get sleep, drink your water, and eat right. Good luck!

Standard Disclaimer:
    I am not a physician or an athletic trainer, and nothing posted here or elsewhere on the internet is strictly my opinion and should not be taken as professional medical or training advice. Seek professional advice for training and medical issues. Do not stand forward of the while line while bus is in motion. Close cover before striking.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So I signed up for a half marathon and am now having second thoughts as the thought or running 13.1 miles is very daunting and impossible. As a quick back story, I have never considered myself a runner and have only been running off an on (not consistently) for an avg. of 2-3 miles for the past year or so. I ran a 5k back in May 2013 and actually found it very fun and pretty easy. A friend that I ran the 5k with, came to me this week and asked me to sign up for a half marathon with her. I thought it was a great idea and goal to try and achieve and signed up with her immediately. I went online right away and found a 20 week training program (there is exactly 20 weeks til the half marathon race) and started training this week ( I am very motivated to stay on track with the training plan) by running 3 miles off the bat, as that is where the mileage starts on the training plan. The problem is that, it felt like the hardest 3 miles I have ever run and could barley get through it! I am now starting to think that being able to run a half marathon in 20 weeks is not doable. Has anyone been in this situation before or think this is possible?

The marathon is about YOU and nobody says you have to finish it in 1:30 - it's your marathon, so you finish it how you feel you can do it best and be satisfied. My first half I was very unprepared, and I was walking around mile 10. No training plan, no long run beyond 6 miles. However, it gave me a sense of achievement that motivated me to do better next time. Most training plans last for 12 weeks, so maybe do a gentle 5K plan and ease yourself into the HM plan. Posting your plan here so others can see would help too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no shame in walking part of a half marathon.
    Agreed! I actually run/walk all of my half marathons. The last one was at 4 minute running / 1 minute walking intervals.

Keep in mind that the goal for your first half is to finish the race, not finish it in world class time. Your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation with a running partner. That may feel super slow but again the goal is to run the miles on your training plan, not run them quickly. Speed will come later.

Since the goal is to finish, you need to train in a way to avoid injury. Make sure you are not running or doing other high impact activities on the day between your runs. Also, follow the training plan and never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% over the week before.

I've found that most of my "bad" runs have come about because I started out too fast or didn't give myself enough recovery time from my last run. A slow, steady pace is what you need for long distance running. Leave the sprinting on the high school track. :smile:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite Mantras, seen at the start of one of my marathons that always pushes me through is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, TODAY, is NOT that day."

Preach!

And as stated by others you'll be surprised at how 3 miles turns into 4 and 5 miles. With each added mile you can run, adding an additional mile isn't as bad as before. Adding 1.5 miles to the end of a 3 mile run is a huge thing. Adding that to the end of a 10 mile run isn't that big of a deal. You'll see. Just stick with the plan and trust it to work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's totally doable, as long as YOU believe it!
  • DeputySox
    Options
    Totally doable. I used the Hal Higdon 13.1 training app and I was fine.

So did I! You can do it! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you've probably taken a break so you lost some of your running mojo...it comes back pretty quickly. Just stick with the program and go for it. As compared to your 5K it will most definitely be a challenge
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You can totally run a half marathon, do not doubt yourself. 20 weeks is plenty of time to prepare. Trust your training plan. You might not be able to get in a run on a day it's scheduled but at least try to get in your long run for the week. I started running last October using a c25k app and ran my first 5k this past May as well. I just completed my first half marathon two weeks ago after 16 weeks of training. I finished within my estimated time and that was good enough for me. I'm already looking forward to my next races.

There will be easy runs and hard runs, the only thing that matters is that you keep lacing up your shoes for your next run. Make sure you replace your shoes when needed and get enough water/food/sleep. It will be worth it all when you cross the finish line.
  • daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Go for it! I started running in November last year (I hadn't run since school, 30+ years ago, and then only grudgingly) and did my first Half on 6th October. Know where you are coming from, as I had a lot of doubts after signing up but stick with your plan & you'll get there. I found it really helped psychologically to have done the distance once, however slowly, before the race.

Got round in 2:13 which isn't going to trouble Mo Farah, but the feeling of achievement is fantastic! Now signed up for 2 more in 2014...