Outside vs. treadmill running.

Options
I was just curious what other runner's cutoff threshold was for outside vs. inside runs. I opt for the dreadmill when there is ice on the ground/road. What's your choice?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Outside only. I don't care how cold it is I won't run on the wheel.

Icy is fun at times, especially if you are doing hill sprints.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am outside no matter what, rains, hails,,, minus 30 and a blizzard!
    fresh air is the best!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Only run indoors. I have MAJOR allergies!!! I also had an ankle injury so unstable surfaces freak me a little now. I do hike outdoors often! I can take more breaks, where my high top boots for foot stability, and easily use my inhaler (little more difficult while I'm running)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If really want to go out, I go out unless it's a blizzard or freezing rain. Sometimes I work my schedule around the weather and change up the days I run to accommodate. I hate the treadmill and usually end up being lucky if I can make myself stay on there for 5 k. The only good thing is I usually want off so I keep bumping the speed up to try to get done faster.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Outside only I layer up on my clothes and wear Ice Grippers on my Trail runners. I run doesn't matter what the temperature is unless it is colder than -30 I want to be outside.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The few times I've run on the dreadmill its been miserable and I give up. Ran in some freezing rain last winter (which was super cold for me here in NC) but I would probably hold off if the sidewalks were icy or covered with snow. We don't get much winter weather and when we do it usually only lasts a day or 2 on the ground so I'll skip a couple days for everything to melt.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I love running outside, but since I live in Texas I do most of my training indoors, especially in the summer. I can't stand the humidity !
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Mine is more time wise/safety. I tend to be running late evening and so tends to be inside. I'd rather run outside but its not safe around here in the evenings.
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fall is my favorite time of year to run - at least until ice starts to develop. The temperatures can be in the 20's and I can gear-up and enjoy myself but once it gets below that or there's ice I go inside for the winter and use the treadmill time to catch-up on all the TV I've wanted to see.
  • stb1234
    stb1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore running outside, I find it more challenging on my body because of the natural slopes and I definitely go a little slower but it isn't as mentally draining.
    If I'm not getting a chance to run till after 8pm however, I settle for the treadmill. It has it's own positives, I run at a constant, faster pace and sometimes I'm even game enough to up the speed a little for a PB. Down side is I constantly find myself checking to see how far I've run, when I'm outside I only get a GPS update every 2km.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I never go when there is ice on the roads. With my luck I know I will slip, fall or break something. So during the Winter months I am usually on the treadmill.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only run indoors. I have MAJOR allergies!!! I also had an ankle injury so unstable surfaces freak me a little now. I do hike outdoors often! I can take more breaks, where my high top boots for foot stability, and easily use my inhaler (little more difficult while I'm running)

Not picking on you or anything just a little curious.

You say you can't run outdoors due to MAJOR allergies but you can hike outdoors? I'm a little confused, not having any allergies myself, but do the allergies suddenly go away when hiking & not running?

Also using your inhaler would make no difference indoors or out right? Still confused on that one.

All that points to you not actually running at all.:flowerforyou:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Depends distance and time of year. I love the treadmill if I can be at my parent's house on their nice treadmill with a nice TV. This is pretty much my only TV time so I love it. Otherwise, as long as it isn't dark and below 20 degrees I do like to be outside. Soo... since in Wisconsin it's pretty much always dark outside of work hours and cold now I"ll be logging lots of tm miles. And proud of it :) In the spring, summer, fall, I like short runs outside. But, I do still look forward to treadmill dates :)
  • reveerie
    reveerie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Outside is fresh , fun, challenging, more real... the way we are supposed to be. Treadmill is east monotonous , easy, suffocating.... unreal.... Well, i love outdoors but pick up cold these days, so currently on treadmill. Will definitely try some winter running this year.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Outside only. I don't care how cold it is I won't run on the wheel.

Icy is fun at times, especially if you are doing hill sprints.

I agree. I prefer outside. The only time I run on a treadmill is when I am on holiday in a foreign country. I used to run outside on holiday until I accidentally picked a route that went by a prison. Then I was terrified I was going to get picked up as an escapee. :laugh: But really, outside is best.
  • reveerie
    reveerie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well i often experience some allergies while i am running outside, but thats because we inhale and exhale a lot while running as opposed to just staying outdoors or walking.
    I take a day or two break when this happens and again get back to track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much outside only...I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually set foot on a dreadmill. We have one at home in the garage and it's buried underneath a bunch of other **** that needs to be donated or otherwise disposed of. Personally if it's just too nasty out for me to go for a run I just don't bother...that said, I live in New Mexico where it most definitely gets cold, but we're pretty dry so I don't have to deal with much snow or ice...handful of times per year and that's about it unless I'm in the mountains.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Outside almost all the time. I have run in hot humid Texas summer weather and snow in Indiana. Mentally can't take the dreadmill more than 3 miles. Usually will cross train or take a rest day if it is extremely bad out.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Outside, mostly. Dreadmill if the weather is SUPER bad, or if I'm exercising super early before work. I took a super nasty fall last winter on ice and am wary of going out when it's too gross.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota, so the treadmill is my friend through the winter months. I don't mind the cold or the snow at all, but I'm accident prone and that ice hiding under the snow gets me every time.

Granted, I don't run (yet), so maybe I'll see it differently next winter. :)