Is loose skin inevitable?

Options
This might be a totally subjective thing but is lose skin inevitable when someone has a lot of weight to lose?
Is there any way of preventing this?

Replies

• mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have total over 100 lbs to lose and so far at about 60 lbs lost I have not had any issues with loose skin. I have had a slower weight loss so I don't know if that affects it.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will have to do with genetics, but slow loss will give your skin time to retract. Keep it moisturized as well.
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    before pregnant I was 252..Pregnant I got up to 298...Now I am at 238 (about a year later) and I already have some loose skin on my inner thigh, upper arm:( I think it depends on age, genetics, how long you were overweight, hydration, and lifting weight/weight training.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've heard from many that it's a combination of lifestyle, age, length of time fat, genes and luck. I am concerned about it too. I have a friend who is a bariatric nurse who swears that she knows women in their 50s and 60s who had been morbidly obese all their life who lost their weight through surgery (fairly quickly) and never needed skin removal. Others might be young, hardly overweight to begin with and still need plastics. It seems random.

But I've also been told that you can increase your chances of having highly elastic skin by taking the loss slowly, doing a lot of exercising to tone muscle (to help fill the skin out a bit more than no muscle at all), to use kind products on the skin (nothing drying), to drink lots of water, to avoid smoking and alcohol and to stay out of the sun.

I have to get an abdominal reconstruction anyway (that's why I'm losing the weight, in prep for that surgery --- recurrent hernias after cancer surgeries a few years back) and so expect to have the abdomen done in any case, but I'm hoping my arms and legs won't need anything. The advice above is all good in any case, whether it helps with skin or not.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'll knock on wood but so far with almost 60 lbs lost I have none. Hopefully it stays the same as I lose the next 50. I think genetics ( skin elasticity) has a lot to do with it.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    At about 33, I lost 120 pounds and didn't have skin problems or very very little. I gained back all the pounds and more and had 2 pregnancies. 17 years have passed... Now I have lost 166 pounds over the last 18 months, weigh about the same as then, but my shape has changed AND my skin, oh boy!, is a disaster except for my face, thanks God! My body is that of a 200-year-old woman! I figure that age and yoyoing are taking their toll...