UN-Realistic Body Image

Options

Replies

• NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    saw that this morning. They did a lot to her.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wow!!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    wow that's scary , she was fine before. makeup is ok but changing her entire body shape no way that's just wrong .
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    what did they do before photo shopping?
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch at home...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not too be mean but I think you lady's are crazy for even picking up some of the mags on the shelf. I see my wife with her head buried into a woman's style mag and I just shake my head. Everything is fake and unacheievable by the average person.

This is me too. Additionally, and not to be mean, but I'm always shocked at the naivety.

You guys are right many woman fall for it hook line and sinker. Now I suspect there is a male equivalent now when you look at some of the new men's magazines, but it is quite sad when you see a woman sucked into something that isnt truthful.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Are there people that actually think they can become as gorgeous as cover models?
    Yeah, that would be rather naive (except the fake breast part, perhaps).

Is wanting to lose enough weight to actually see your abs "unrealistic?"
    Not to me.

I don't think most of those using this site as a weight loss aid compare themselves to stunning 20-year-olds.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My goodness. I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I get home and can watch this.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The unrealistic body image is the goal of the industry.

That is what moves billions of dollars worth of beauty products. Look at your drugstore isles - what percentage of it is "beauty"? That should tell you where most of the profit is.

The goal is to make every woman feel that they fall short and should buy something to look better, closer to the that image seen by men and women constantly throughout their day.

Imagine what landscape of our economy looked like if every woman woke up tomorrow and felt she is just fine the way she is.

And even totally artificial trends like painted nails or waxing salons -- look at the huge chunks of employment and economy they comprise.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

They actually painted on the photos with an airbrush. But since they couldn't make all the changes they do now, that's probably half the reason the old pinup girls look more real and bigger, even though they really were not much larger than today's celebrities...just less faked in photos.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    thare are lots of things that are un-real, even to those with perfect bodies, though they can achieve it but their life style is not realistic to me, or at least doesn't suit my current status and ability
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That was an extreme example. BUT you can obviously achieve something very similar. You won't get taller/ lengthen your limbs but you can get in great shape.

Just look at the success stories here on mfp.

People are too negative and don't want to work for their results IMO.

I've never met anyone that was not positive that didn't achieve their results. Sure it won't happen over night, days, week or months in some cases but YOU CAN DO IT over years.

Koing
    If it was possible for people to do it just through hard work...why are photos of the worlds most amazingly beautiful fit people still modified like crazy for public consumption? Even the worlds most beautiful people aren't beautiful enough.

I think the entire point is that this "extreme example" is the norm, and no, most people, no matter how hard they work, can never ever ever ever ever achieve those types of results no matter how much they work on eating right and exercising. It doesn't mean I shouldn't work hard to be the best me I can be...but it does mean I should have a reasonable, realistic goal...not a goal set by these extreme unnatural manipulations. The very idea that most people can achieve similar results just sets us up for failure...the photos are not even close to real...why should I expect my body will ever look anything like them?

Depends how much a person wants their results imo.

I'm not talking about changing your face apart from if you lose 50lbs you will probaby lean out in your face quite a lot.

I meant you can change your body quite a bit...so your telling me the people who are really in shape on MFP didn't do what they did?

90.5kg
    http://i.imgur.com/LzKYb75.jpg?1

83.3kg
    http://i.imgur.com/NWuKQJp.jpg?1

It didn't take 2-3-5yrs or even 10yrs to build the physique I have, it took 14yrs and 28 weeks of dieting. Granted my focus wasn't on getting the physique as I didin't really care. I compete in weightlifting so that was my sole goal for 14yrs and it's only been the past 28 weeks I've decided to lean down. I was skinny when I was 14.

Sure my body isn't perfect but whatever. I've always been happy with it.

Koing
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
  • mylars
    mylars Posts: 12
    Options

I remember Christy Brinkley, Cindy Crawford, Brook Shields, no Photoshop then, Just make up. It is possible to be pretty if you

take care of yourself. Having Kids is not an excuse or a reason to not take care of yourself.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not too be mean but I think you lady's are crazy for even picking up some of the mags on the shelf. I see my wife with her head buried into a woman's style mag and I just shake my head. Everything is fake and unacheievable by the average person.

I'm an old fashion guy who appreciates the view of a real woman with natural curves. I think you lady's should do your best to keep heathly naturally and rock what God gave ya.

All women are beautiful in their own way.

Agreed. All of it. :)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Her neck looks weird in the "after" ...
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

I'm an old fashion guy who appreciates the view of a real woman with natural curves. I think you lady's should do your best to keep heathly naturally and rock what God gave ya.

All women are beautiful in their own way.
    What? I pick them up for the made up bs they have, not for the models lol.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I remember Christy Brinkley, Cindy Crawford, Brook Shields, no Photoshop then, Just make up. It is possible to be pretty if you

take care of yourself. Having Kids is not an excuse or a reason to not take care of yourself.

Photographs of fashion models have been manipulated well before Photoshop...artists literally painted on the film...or on a print which was then re-photographed. The changes werent as extreme of course but, skin was smoothed,, blemishes removed, shape contours adjusted. I don't see anyone using this as excuse to be lazy and eat like crap and not take care of ourselves...but I'd rather have a goal that resembles something real that I might have a chance of achieving, than a goal that not even actual models can reach.

ETA: Check out the old school retouched photos at the bottom of this page : (not fashion models, but you get the idea)
    http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/2010/01/photoshop_before_there_were_computers_the_art_of_retouching_and_improving_negatives_and_prints/