Paleo support group II

Options

Replies

• ninaleen
    ninaleen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah yeah it was about 4-6 days into it that I literally started to get sick. I had some old-fashioned shepherd's pie, and I immediately seemed to get over all the cold/flu symptoms. Then it happened again around day 10. I was so lethargic I thought I was going to faint, so I had a small serving of brown rice with my dinner. Again I felt like the life came back to me. Happened again today- a small bowl of homemade mashed potatoes with some stewed lamb fixed me right up. So I don't have an answer for how to get over this, since I chose not to do it. I personally think that if my body is crying out for something, it's for good reason. What I chose to do was stick with the more natural carbs than with the quick-fixes of convenience food or so-called white flours.

You could try maybe upping your intake of sweet potatoes? Also remember that Paleo allows you to sneak in rice once in a while, so maybe that could help you. And try a site called Paleo Hacks... lots of good information there.
  • ninaleen
    Options
    @Miss Kim: vegetables make me feel sick, so I don't eat them too much. But the avocados and cherry tomatoes idea is awesome... for breakfast i've been having a tomato/basil salad and then avocados for my mid-morning meal. Sometimes I have a hard boiled egg. Definitely helps to break up the monotony...
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    I'm so happy with Paleo! I'm doing the whole30! I'm pretty sure if I change after thirty days it will just be for dairy...yogurt and cottage cheese. I just ate chicken smeared with ginger and lemon.... Kale and chard and yellow squash. Mmm mmmmmm
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I just started Paleo a week ago. I'm not sure if I've got the balace right between the carbs (veg), fat, and protien. My crossfit trainer threw a bunch of numbers at me, but I admit that it was complete jibberish to me.

She said "Try to only get 9g of carbs for every 7g of protein. 15g of protein in a good amount for a snack, but you should only have 18-20ish grams of carbs. Fats should be 1.5-2 g per every 7 grams of protein."
    While she was trying to help me, it didn't help because I have NO idea what these measurements look like. Any help? What should I be eating? What should I set my goal amounts to for the end of the day? Right now they're set to 180g of cabs, 158g protein, and 50g of fat.

Feel free to look at my food journal and offer suggestions.
    Any help is appreciated!!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a paleo recipe blog, http://fedandfit.com/ in case you're looking for some recipe ideas!
    I'm not paleo myself but some of her recipes look pretty tasty.
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a paleo recipe blog, http://fedandfit.com/ in case you're looking for some recipe ideas!

Awesome! Thanks. I'm going to make one of her recipes tomorrow!
  • ninaleen
    Options
    All that measuring sounds tiresome and awful. Honestly I think that kind of micro-management of food/diet/portions only contributes to eating problems because people develop a fear of food (or a poor relationship with food, if you will). What I'm trying to say is I wouldn't go crazy trying to figure out all these formulas... it's food... enjoy it! If you are eating sensible amounts of REAL food as opposed to processed food, then you should be ok without having to worry about whether you are consuming the correct ratios. That's just my opinion.

Edited to add: Jalyner I was trying to reply to your post about what the trainer told you with all the different ratios of food you're supposed to be eating. I should have used the "Quote" button instead of "reply".
  • move2health
    move2health Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am pretty excited to find this thread. Started using MFP today. My family has been following a paleo template for about 9 months. Our first focus is on non-processed food, not to say it doesn't slip in sometimes. We do still eat dairy occasionally and we use rice about once a week, but neither food bothers my husband, I or our girls. Wheat products do make all us bloated and gassy so that is limited as much as possible. It has definitely been harder to get the kids moved towards a paleo diet even 80% of the time due to school. But their summer program will require us to pack their snacks and lunches, so I think we will get them even closer to family health goals.
  • ginahbee
    ginahbee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was recently (monday) forced onto the Paleo lifestyle. I found out through genetic testing that I have a mutation on a gene and doctors want me to try paleo for awhile to see if this makes any difference in the symptoms I experience and hopefully avoid many extreme problems in the future. I used to track with MFP but slacked off. Do you all track what you eat on Paleo? I find it hard because lettuce here and a handful or carrots or kale is difficult for me to track. Do you not necessarily watch portions because it is all healthy. I have also noticed how full I am. I am hoping this does not go away haha..does it??

I look forward to talking to all of you!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hey Paleo peeps!

I'm keto primal and I've been here since last August. I might not be "Paleo" but there are a lot of similarities. I choose to still have full fat dairy because it causes me no problems, but I do not think it's necessarily healthy (unless unpasteurized from grass-fed animals..).

I just want to throw out a reminder: MFP macro defaults are not ideal for anyone. The protein is usually ok for most people (depends) but the carb macro is too high and the fat macro TOO LOW. While I don't think everyone needs to eat like me (I have metabolic issues that need healing so I'm extremely ketogenic) fat should be at least 50% of calories and ideally more. So 50 grams of fat is too little. We've been told that fat is bad, but unless we are talking refined oils such as canola and soy, we have been LIED to.
  • dieKriegerin77
    Options
    Marking this for later support.
    Our family lifestyle is trending toward paleo naturally, and it is easier when I don't over think it. Weird, right?

I was referred to Paleomg website yesterday. It's all kinds of awesome. :smile:
  • dieKriegerin77
    Options

oh goody!!
  • alwaysworthy
    alwaysworthy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How would I begin to eat Palio - anyone have a sample menu for an average day that they wouldn't mind sharing.
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been working on going full Paleo but my issue is i seriously can not afford pure grass feds and organics so i buy the typical meats, eggs, veggies & fruits. I am so fine with this diet. After one week of eating this clean i noticed a significant loss of bloating and i am not as hungry as i used to get. Im guilty of drinking black coffee and green tea, i work graveyard and its a big treat! I still dont know what to do w coconut oil and i've had this jar in my cabinet for almost 2 weeks lol ill figure it out. i dont portion my carb to protein intake at all (shoot me) but i find that if i worry less about the complicated side of it, its a lot easier to follow. I just eat what ever i want when i want it, that is on the allowed foods and i enjoy it very much! Good Luck to all!! feel free to friend me
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How would I begin to eat Palio - anyone have a sample menu for an average day that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Just play with ideas, pinterest has a lot of great ideas. Also i found that major staples for me was almond milk, leafy greens and melons! Good luck to you!
  • cminhp
    Options
    Glad to find this group .....hello!!!!
    I tell you it's such a struggle to stay on track
    I'll be happy to talk to people that get it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this group .....hello!!!!
    I tell you it's such a struggle to stay on track
    I'll be happy to talk to people that get it.

Welcome
  • niamh_ie
    niamh_ie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was doing paleo last yr for a few months, but the holidays showed up and ruined my life. Anyway, here I am trying to get back into the paleo swing of things, but it's ridiculously hard for me this time. Not sure why. I know how amazing I feel when I am eating clean. Maybe I should do a serious cleanse to get me focused. Anyone else experience a similar struggle? How did you get back on track?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I was doing paleo last yr for a few months, but the holidays showed up and ruined my life. Anyway, here I am trying to get back into the paleo swing of things, but it's ridiculously hard for me this time. Not sure why. I know how amazing I feel when I am eating clean. Maybe I should do a serious cleanse to get me focused. Anyone else experience a similar struggle? How did you get back on track?

A good cleanse might be what you need, get over the carb craving, and focus on eating real food.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot...what is this?