Irregular bowel movement. Any tips?

Options
13»

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    When you eat less, you poop less.

If you aren't suffering from any gastrointestinal symptoms, don't worry about it. Enjoy your poop-free days. :bigsmile:
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I can go a week. But now I go about every 2nd day - and that's great!

1. Probiotics - every day. Never skip
    2. Flaxseed
    3. Chia

Basically, get as much fiber as you can but lots of water too. I've also cut out milk and for some reason I think that helps me regulate. But I have no scientific evidence to prove that.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    2-3 servings of fruits and veggies per day is definitely not enough. The recommended amount is a combined 9 servings to get the fiber you need for a healthy gut (among other things). Also, animal products like chicken, fish and dairy can be very difficult for the body to digest - any good doctor I know would tell you to eliminate those things first for a week and see how you feel. A crappy doctor would suggest an artificial fiber supplement or a laxative if you want to take the easy way out.

Good luck!

PS, though this may be TMI - I switched to a plant-strong diet a few months ago and have had regular bowel movements since (at least 2x per day). My tummy has never been happier - I haven't had a single stomach ache or heartburn in that time. Hope this helps
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Also, I notice a lot of people on here saying that when you eat less, you poop less...but the bulk of your stool actually has nothing to do with food. Fecal matter is mostly cellular waste - when you eat less overall, you eat less fiber-containing foods and THAT is what slows the motility of your bowels.

Feel free to add me or message me if you like. I'm a nurse, I could talk all day long about pooping =)
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also, I notice a lot of people on here saying that when you eat less, you poop less...but the bulk of your stool actually has nothing to do with food. Fecal matter is mostly cellular waste - when you eat less overall, you eat less fiber-containing foods and THAT is what slows the motility of your bowels.

Feel free to add me or message me if you like. I'm a nurse, I could talk all day long about pooping =)

Thanks! I added you! Just had diarrhea awhile ago (please forgive me for still writing this down. Hehe.) I noticed that after being unable to poop for more than a day, my next bowel movement most probably would be diarrhea. My stomach is in so much pain before pooping, like my poop can't seem to move out easily, then diarrhea comes along, that is my usual dilemma. Maybe I'm still not getting enough fiber in my daily diet.
  • vpeinado78
    vpeinado78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed helps alot is 'breaking your fast' with a serving of fruit in the AM. Your body may take a bit longer to process what you eat during the day/night. The easiest thing for your body to process is fruit so naturally, fasting thru the night, and eating fruit in the morning - it should help you.

Wait about an hour after eating fruit to eat your regular meal. Good luck!!
    :bigsmile:
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fiber Choice tablets and a glass of water with breakfast. They taste like sweet tarts and help with regularity.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. They're something else.. Oh yea... you'll be poopin!:laugh: It's a healthy poop, too. Not like after taking a laxative. I put a scoop in my granola seeds and nuts in the morning with coconut milk.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Add more healthy fat to your diet, especially coconut products (coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk). Coconut has a fascinating ability to cleanse and make you poop!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    On your MFP food diary, start tracking 'fiber' & 'water'. You'll soon find the magic amount of fiber that works for you.

btw~ I don't track sugar, since I don't have diabetes concerns. tjat freed up a spot, so I can track fiber instead.

also , chia seeds & flaxseeds & oatmeal are great sources of fiber.
  • alechua
    Options
    What I've noticed helps alot is 'breaking your fast' with a serving of fruit in the AM. Your body may take a bit longer to process what you eat during the day/night. The easiest thing for your body to process is fruit so naturally, fasting thru the night, and eating fruit in the morning - it should help you.

Wait about an hour after eating fruit to eat your regular meal. Good luck!!
    :bigsmile:

I'm doing this everyday - eating fruit(pear) before a regular meal, still not working. :(
  • alechua
    Options
    Add more healthy fat to your diet, especially coconut products (coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk). Coconut has a fascinating ability to cleanse and make you poop!

I drink fresh coconut water everyday, but not eating the coconut meat since its high in calorie. hehe. :)
  • alechua
    Options
    On your MFP food diary, start tracking 'fiber' & 'water'. You'll soon find the magic amount of fiber that works for you.

btw~ I don't track sugar, since I don't have diabetes concerns. tjat freed up a spot, so I can track fiber instead.

also , chia seeds & flaxseeds & oatmeal are great sources of fiber.

Just recently found out that MFP allows tracking of daily fiber intake and seems like I'm not hitting the target goal for fiber intake! Thanks! Hope this works!