Anyone battling weight gain due to medication?

Options
Pobutt
Pobutt Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone,
Guess I'm going to give this weight loss thing another shot. I have to admit that I don't have a lot of hope. I take meds that increase my appetite to the point of never feeling satisfied! Truly hoping to have enough support that it will make a difference. :smile:
Pobutt

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, and I am not fishing for the background information, but is there an alternative to the medication. I have taken meds that did the same thing, but they were only for short-term usage. If you haven't already, perhaps check with your doctor to discuss alternatives.

Either way, I hope you get the support you need here, and are able to achieve your goals.
  • Pobutt
    Options
    Thanks for replying nutmegoreo. I can't change meds. That's not an option for me so I need to push forward with them. I've never been part of a group while trying to lose weight. I'm hoping the inspiring success stories and encouragement from others will bring success my way.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I am on Citalopram/Celexa and it is known for causing weight gain.....although I know it was my fault too.

Weight is coming off...and pretty easily. I still take it at a slightly lower dose, just exercise and eat right. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to lose it.

Good luck!
  • farrellb21
    Options
    Mine does, Adderall tends to give you the munchies when it wears off or you didn't take it one day. I get it bad every now and then
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh God yes!!!!!!! Feel your frustration. Am on stuff that makes me retain fluids, get terribly hungry (which seems to get worse if I go and have any chocolate or highly processed food that is sugar rich). :devil: :sad: I have ended up gaining and then losing the same last 1-3kgs that previously weren't a problem. I am still trying to get my head around alot of stuff.

I am hoping that as the medication (steroids) decreases these issues will settle down.

Like the other poster said......maybe discuss an alternative with your Doc. If you would like a friend to share the trials please give me a buzz.

Karen :heart:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm not now, but there was a period when medication caused my weight to rise to an all time high. I wasn't overweight, but I was pudgy for me and I could see how things were tending. It didn't affect my appetite, per se, but it did change my metabolism. I insisted on being taken off it, which was a good decision.

It was frustrating that my doctor couldn't accept for a while that the weight gain was a major problem.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sorry....missed your reply about no be able to change meds.!!!!!!
  • mylifewillbebetter1688
    Options
    My thyroid med makes me gain weight really fast if the dose is reduced. Last March I gained 7 pounds in 5 days and I was so mad that I switched Docktors! Now I am tyrying to loose weight and it is not easy on this med.
  • KimberlyLenz
    KimberlyLenz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got put on some medicine about five years ago. The doctor told me I could gain 30 pounds. I gained 60! I lived with the extra weight for about five years. Then my doctor talked to me about exercising and eating right. I started Weight Watchers without actually joining. I lost 49 pounds by eating a healthy diet and exercising. Then a friend told me about myfitnesspal. I've lost another 16 pounds. I've lost 65 pounds since March. With the medicine I wasn't sure if I would lose the weight. Thank God, I was able to. I hope this encourages you by reassuring you that the weight can come off. I've lost all the weight that I gained. Now I am trying to get back to what I weighed in high school. I just had to eat a healthy diet and will have to for the rest of my life. I know what eating a regular diet does to me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @ OP. I have found that having some supportive friends here is making a very big difference in my motivation. Give a shout out for support, and it won't take long to get a good base going. You can add me if you like. I wish you all the best. I did find that when

I heard the med could cause weight gain, that I was more liberal with my calorie consumption. I used it as an excuse to overeat. Good for you for catching now, and looking to make changes.
  • Pobutt
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. It's so encouraging to know that I am not alone on this journey. I have felt so defeated for 15 years now. After I gave birth to my daughter I've suffered from extreme anxiety. Since my doctors couldn't find where the hormone imbalance was/is they put me on meds to cover up the symptoms. I was 124 after having my daughter and now I'm 176. I'm so tired of feeling unattractive. When I look in the mirror I am overwhelmed with disappointment. BLECK! That's all I can say! Looking forward and looking up. :smile:
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I take citalopram but luckily have not had the weight gain. Never knew this til now.
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I take prednisalone which is a steroid for arthritis. It's biggest side effect is weight gain. It can be a hell of a time if i am on them for sometimes 3 months at a time. :-(
  • jthomchin728
    Options
    I'm taking antidepressants and they not only caused significant weight gain (of course, I'm also to blame for not keeping an eye on things), they seems to be making it difficult to lose weight/keep it off.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am on two anti-depressants--Zoloft and Tofranil. Both of them the side effects are weight gain. I have been on them for a year. I have lost 52lbs since August. If you tell yourself that the meds are causing you to not lose weight---you are just using it as an excuse. If you exercise and track EVERY calorie--you will lose weight. These meds don't decrease your metabolism. They may change your appetite and make you hungry---that is when you have to have mental control over your body. If you want to eat a lot of food---grab celery. If you are truly hungry broccoli, spaghetti squash, etc will appeal to you. Please--don't make excuses.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I currently am not on meds that affect my weight, but I had been on medications that made me gain weight/retain water for about 10 years, up until last year. I've recently come off both Lyrica and a Mirena IUD (hormones), both of which had me gain weight, and the last time I made a real effort to drop weight while taking them, it happened. A bit slower than I'd have liked, but it definitely can be done with diet and exercise. Lyrica was the tricky one since it caused me a lot of water retention and I was always hungry while taking it.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was on 3 different meds that all cause weight gain, now down to 2 thanks to a recent change in one med. This might make maintaining or losing weight more challenging for us but it definitely does not make it impossible. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's the meds that are to blame, it's the way we eat. Period. Most ppl on a keto diet see at least water-weight loss in the first week. I have yet to see any; I blame *that* on the meds but I won't let it deter me, especially as I have not gained any further weight. If your current diet sees you still gaining weight, try another, and another, and another, until you find one that works for your body. Yes this feels like an uphill battle, but imagine the esteem boost when I finally do start shedding pounds! Knowing I have to battle a little harder than most, and (hopefully) succeed in that battle, will feel like one kick-*kitten* accomplishment.
  • funnygirlt
    funnygirlt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes...I blame my med's (prednisone and a fun medication slurry for psoriatic arthritis) for my 45 lb weight gain. I monitor what I eat, drink lots of water, and depending on my pain level, try to walk *unless I am having a bad flare)....count me in for support..
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    4 months ago i needed a cortisone shot for my shoulder, and that made me gain weight quickly!!

Good luck!! Add me.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    When I started I took 14 different prescriptions .. 4 of which possible side effects were weight gain, as long as I was on target with my calories I was able to lose weight, and now that I've lost a lot I have been able to stop taking many of them and the others the doses have almost all been cut by half. So it does work, you have to be as accurate as possible in your logging, totally honest with yourself and have lots of patience because it will take time.

Had to add: Once I started losing I did realize yes the meds impacted my weight but what was causing me to continually gain was overeating and not moving.