Exercising at Home and during Travel

Options
I've tried just about everything I can at home and while away from home on business to remain active. During the work week I manage a full five days every morning in the gym, 1-2 hours of combined strength training and cardio.

But on the holidays and during travel, it's a lot harder to keep pace with my usual routine. No matter how decent the hotel gyms are, they just don't compare to a full gym. And the gym I'm a member of is closed on holidays.

So far I've tried the latest incarnation of the Billy Blanks Tae-Bo DVDs. I've bought numerous stretch bands. And lately I bought an exercise ball. The exercise ball intrigues me the most because it seems to focus on training the core.

Does any one have any good realiable exercises or tips for getting some good solid workouts with nothing more than an exercise ball and some stretch bands?

Thanks. Be well!

Replies

• poncerjd
    poncerjd Posts: 23
    Options
    I've tried just about everything I can at home and while away from home on business to remain active. During the work week I manage a full five days every morning in the gym, 1-2 hours of combined strength training and cardio.

But on the holidays and during travel, it's a lot harder to keep pace with my usual routine. No matter how decent the hotel gyms are, they just don't compare to a full gym. And the gym I'm a member of is closed on holidays.

So far I've tried the latest incarnation of the Billy Blanks Tae-Bo DVDs. I've bought numerous stretch bands. And lately I bought an exercise ball. The exercise ball intrigues me the most because it seems to focus on training the core.

Does any one have any good realiable exercises or tips for getting some good solid workouts with nothing more than an exercise ball and some stretch bands?

Thanks. Be well!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Jogging, walking, pushups, crunches/situps, and some yoga. None of it requires anything but your body so you don't have to pack anything, and it can be done anywhere!
  • poncerjd
    Options
    True. I do manage a lot of walking in those situations, and pushups and crunches too. But the reason I'm looking at the exercise ball is that I think they tend to focus more of the effort and energy on the abs that plain old crunches. And of course with the stretch bands I can get the other muscles worked too ... whereas pushups would only get certain muscle groups.

Good point though. A lot can be done without ANY equipment.
  • CristaAmy
    CristaAmy Posts: 67
    Options
    I completely understand! I travel a lot for work (leave for NJ in 2 hours) ... and try to stay active when on the road. I do miss my gym though! I try to walk around the airport and usually bring fitness DVDs with me. Get a ground level room in the hotel though or else people will wonder what you are doing up there! :wink:
  • poncerjd
    Options
    Good idea about the ground level room ... especially with something like Tae Bo ... all that jumping and kicking. Thanks!