"You look like you've gained weight!"

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand the mentality that it's ok to just let people destroy their lives and their health without commenting. That's quite simply the most ignorantly illogical mindset I've ever heard, and does way more to hurt someone then "hey, you've put on some weight, you may need to do something about that."

This ^^ I don't say anything to strangers or casual aquaintences, but a good friend or family member, I'm going to mention it. Not every time they gain 5-10 lbs, but if they start to really gain, they can count on me to mention it.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how human nature only wants us to hear people's opinions, if they're what we want to hear?
    We earthlings are an odd lot.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I had someone who knows how hard I'm working to get myself healthy rag on weight within ear shot one night and brag about how skinny she is. Then in the very next sentence she expressed her negative view on single mothers and how they are all stupid little sl**s to get that way right in front of a single young lady who is expecting. And she knew this girl is expecting.

She is so miserable in her own life that she thinks she has to bring everyone else down with her.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've had relatives say to me, "remember when you used to be such a beanpole" and then they add a laugh like it was a funny statement. As a matter of fact, yes I do remember, thanks, and not funny. I don't think they realize how rude it is. I just say, yes I do, but I also remember that was back when you didn't have wrinkles.
  • erikahand
    erikahand Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep, more than once in the town the we used to live in people would come up and ask if I was pregnant. I have had people ask this several times and like a few other people have said my kids will come up to me and call me fat. I know they don't mean it to be insulting but it is still like a slap in the face that noone wants to get.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    One time I was at the grocery store with my 3 year old and my 9 month old. This older man started a conversation about my baby and after a while he said "You're already having another one?" I told him no and then he said "Oh, so that (pointing at my belly) is just leftover from the last one?" I just smiled and said "Yep" then walked away. I just tried to tell myself it wasn't a big deal and move past it.
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have had family, people at school, etc. Say things about my weight. I was never upset or mad about it simply because they were right! Instead of sulking over it, do something about it. Regardless if they say anything or not, they are still thinking it. At least they have the decency to tell you that they are thinking it.
  • ThePeachy
    Options
    People just blurt things out, I guess. I went into the dry cleaner in my neighborhood for the first time in almost a year and the clerk said "You got big!" I smiled and said, "Yea, I guess" and she went on and on. "Your stomach and your face are so much bigger!"

What to do?
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get it ALL time time!! but what is worse is when you have a larger friend who comes with you on a family vacation and your little (maybe 5 at the time) sister yells, "won't she sink the boat?" for God and everyone to hear. My friend laughed it off and my sister got a talkin to but I was mortified.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i had someone ask me if i was pregnant again :(

Tell them:

"Yes, it's your husband's."
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time from my grandma. She just mentioned last week that I was getting fat again.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago the love of my life asked me if I had put on some weight.... and I hadn't..... so I said, "No. Have you?"

Next time you see your nephew tell him that he had more hair the last time you saw him......
  • swtposey
    Options
    Out of the mouths of babes...I was babysitting for a friend. The little girl was 6 years old at the time. She patted me on the stomach and said, "Maybe you've got a baby in there and just don't know."

I probably lost a pound laughing so hard.