The Virgin Diet

Options
I have recently lost 28 lbs on the Virgin Diet and would like to know if anyone else out there is on the same weight loss program? I still have a lot of weight to lose and need some support.

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it until I saw your post, and the idea of figuring out which foods you are intolerant too has always seemed like a good idea to me. Well done on your weight loss so far, and when you feel like moving on from this Virgin Diet, you should look up 'clean eating' on the boards, cos it'll help you push through for more weight loss :D
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What are these seven mysterious foods?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that if I gave up those seven foods, one of which is sugar, I would most definitely be in a calorie deficit, which is why one might lose weight on this diet. Otherwise, it's a gimmick and not sustainable for a lifetime.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    lol!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Apparently: gluten, dairy, soy, corn, peanuts, eggs, and sugar/ artificial sweeteners.
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    They made a diet out of eating people like me???
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It's not nice to eat virgins, they haven't even had a chance to live yet!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Dude, virgin sacrifices are not cool.

On another note, no, have not. I'm trying to slowly teach myself to eat clean, instead. Having a hard time with it and the food goes bad in the fridge, but, I'll get there lol.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Apparently: gluten, dairy, soy, corn, peanuts, eggs, and sugar/ artificial sweeteners.

Do you lose weight because you can't eat anything.

Seriously what are you meant to eat if you can't use soy as a substitute and also have no gluten
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    You lose a lot of weight while you're hunting for the unicorn to identify the virgins, but after that you tend to gain it all back. Turns out not all virgins are low-cal.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I actually tried to find some scientific support for the author's claim. I haven't found any yet. I can't believe that 70% of people are intolerant of eggs. I could never live with these restrictions. I just stay within my calories and try to get the majority of my food from unprocessed sources. That has worked fine and I believe it is sustainable.
  • davisbrenda9
    Options
    You stay off the 7 foods for 21 days and then you re-introduce them back into your diet one at a time to see if they affect your weight loss or if they cause any problems. I actually started a healthy weight loss program prior to the Virgin Diet and lost very little weight. When I started the Virgin diet, the weight started coming off. I couldn't believe it. I am 58 years old and weight does not come off easily at my age but this program works! Down 2 dress sizes at this point with little effort.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    If it works longterm, fine. But the problem with very restrictive dieting is that you get tired of being so restricted and quit. When you inevitably gain the weight back, you are worse off when you started. That's why I am careful not to do anything I don't think I can continue perpetually.

I'm 58. I met my goal and have sustained it by. . . . counting calories. When you failed to lose weight before, were you meticulously logging and maintaining a calorie deficit. Hard to believe that wouldn't work.
  • davisbrenda9
    Options
    I was trying to loose weight on a diet which involved egg whites, yogurt, soy, all the things that people loose weight on, but nothing was working. I did not start loosing weight until I dropped these foods from my diet. I am now slowly introducing the foods back in to my diet.
  • davisbrenda9
    Options
    Yes, I am definitely counting calories and eating healthy! No doubt that is what should be done. MFP has helped me stay within 1200 Calories and I have started a workout program as well. Sherry, congratulations on your weight loss! How long have you been at your goal weight?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss but this diet is not for me.

I will simply go with sustainable moderation.

*Just to tired to make witty virgin puns*
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I met my goal in November of 2012, so nearly a year. I never gave up any food, except I do not go to fast food restaurants at all. Other than that, I eat everything I love including pasta, chocolate and wine. They are just in carefully measured quantities.

I'm guessing that all those foods you were eating before that were supposed to be "diet" foods. . . egg whites and the like added up to more calories than you thought.

In any event, I hope you have lots of success in whatever healthy program works for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I had a naturopathic doctor complete a blood panel testing for food sensitivity antibodies. This was recommended as part of an overall health screen due to some issues I have started having over the last year and a half. She encouraged me to avoid the foods with higher results for a minimum of 3 months, and then we could look at reintroducing them one at a time. I could have them once every four days, but if I did, that would prolong the time for reduced intake. I have an all or nothing personality, so moderation is not something I excel at. Within a few weeks, I was feeling more energetic and sleeping better. This was done with her supervision, and I was never told to restrict calories, simply to watch the ingredients of what I ate. I followed this for about a month when all of a sudden, WHAM... A Big Mac hit me. :grumble:

Seriously though, I felt better, and the knowledge that it was temporary helped out. I did it for health reasons, not as a fad diet. My ND was very clear about how these foods were causing health issues, and I am now trying to incorporate those recommendations into my MFP plan. If you want to restrict certain foods, that is up to you, I hope you find some helpful, supportive people, and I also hope you do well with the direction you choose to take. Just because it's in a book, does not mean it's true for everyone (or anyone for that matter). Best of luck.