"The pounds are coming off SO SLOW ...discouraging."

Options
13»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Completely agree.

I think so many people have totally unrealistic expectations due to TV ads and other crazy hype. I used to work with a bunch of women who tried fad diets constantly and if they were not losing at least 4-5 lb/week they considered it a FAIL and moved to the next fad diet. Sure they lost weight on some of the diets, especially in the first week, but in the long run they did not sustain it.

I too have the mini plateaus and I've just decided to look at ANY loss or staying the same (no gain) as a huge positive. It does add up.

I've lost almost 50 lb so far on MFP but the hardest 45 lb was before I started MFP. It took 4 years to come off. It stayed off though, so that's a huge bonus.

I am in my mid 30's and I am active several days a week, but I agree with others in this thread who comment that it is nice to see someone being 'real' about their sedentary lifestyle. I know you have had health issues. I have no such excuse except that I do not go to the gym, unlike many members who spend hours per day there. Not everyone wants to do that and we can all still lose weight and get healthy!
  • sueinmass
    sueinmass Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself (when I get discouraged) that weight loss is NOT a SPRINT - its a MARATHON! and if we stay consistent during this Marathon we LEARN the healthy eating & exercising habits that we need to continue to maintain this weight loss. It is true to say, it took a long time to put it on, its going to take a long time to take it off! When people do their magic QUICK Diets and Fad supplements they do usually show quick results but they don't LEARN and retrain their brain on how to live a healthy life and they usually gain their weight back quickly.
    Weight loss is a change in LIFESTYLE....not something that lasts just a few weeks or months and then you go back to unhealthy habits.
    Slow and steady wins the race. I run fitness accountability groups and everyday I provide support and motivation to all the participants in these groups and help them understand how to make healthier lifestyle changes and retrain their brain so that they will have Long Lasting Results.
    Working together in groups of support help everyone stay focused.
    Don't try such a lifestyle change alone..... join a group (like my free accountability groups)....find an accountability partner!

Will Power is a Muscle, the more you use it the Stronger it gets!
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Awesome response, just awesome :)
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would love to be one of your 'sisters'! :flowerforyou:

Done, Sister. You are now one of the Sisterhood. :smile:
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One of the best motivators is looking at a photo of a replica of 1lb of fat. Every time the scale goes down by one pound and it seems like nothing, seeing what it looks like reminds me of how much hard work goes into losing even one pound.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You seem like such a sweet person I just want to hug you!!! You have a great way with words, and I want this in "my topics" so I can read it again from time to time when I'm feeling a bit down about a slow point. Thank you for that :flowerforyou:
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud to have you as a MFP friend. Your journey has been just like your support outstanding and to the many friends that are here with you. Thank you for these post and blog I sure do read them when I get the chance. Even have bookmarked some to reread!
  • MRumple95
    Options
    This was awesome to read. I too have been on many diets, tried the pills (remember fenfen?) Just last December, a good friend of mine encouraged me to go to Jazzercise with her. I had gone a few times many years before and enjoyed the classes. This time it stuck. By February/March I was getting discouraged because I thought I should have lost a good 5-10 lbs and hadn't lost anything yet! Then, all of a sudden, I noticed that my clothes were fitting a bit differently, and then I was down 2 lbs, 5 lbs, etc. It is now nearly a year later and I'm finally hitting my -20lb goal. I still have 50 to go and if it takes 2-3 years to hit that goal, so be it. As the fable reminds us: slow and steady wins the race, or in this case marathon.

Thank you for confirming what I am finally beginning to realize!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see Hanfordrose on the message boards, I scramble to read your posts and I admire your stalwart honesty. You say it like it is and for that I am a true fan! Love you, love your cute hubby, and love that you embrace us sisters! we all need someone like you in our lives, little nudges mean so much! Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    Options
    What's the name of your blog?
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What's the name of your blog?

I'm not quite sure how to answer your question. I have made several blogs on MFP, but I don't have any blogs other than on this site. I did a blog using this same information and same title. Could that be what you wanted?
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this. I have been discouraged. Things are not only coming off so slowly but I also seem to hit a plateau with every lb I lose. Its so frustrating and I really needed some encouragement this morning :)