Balancing running + fitness videos

Options
For those of you who are runners AND who use video fitness programs like Insanity, P90X, etc., how do you structure your workout schedule? Doing double workouts on some days can get so time-consuming...but if I'm running 4 days a week and want a total rest day before my weekly long run, that leaves me only 2 days for a video program - and they're generally all 5, 6, or 7 days/week programs. I guess logistically there's nothing that can be done other than double-daily workouts, but I'm just curious as to how other runners are doing it. Thanks!

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    Why are you looking to do both?

When I did Insanity that's all I did. I had all intentions of doing double workouts - going to the gym in the a.m. and doing my normal routine which was running for 30 min. then weights -- and Insanity in the afternoon but after the first day of Insanity I realized there was no way I'd be able to do that and not become burned out within a week.

In all honesty I would do one or the other.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Because running does nothing for upper body fitness & strength, plus on my non-running days I like to do some other firm of cardio cross-training. Thanks.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'll do a full body weight routine 3 times a week during insanity or asylum. not a runner tho obviously that means doubles. insanity and running seems like over kill in cardio
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity a year and a half ago. I was also running three days a week. I did Insanity in the mornings before work and would run on my lunch break twice a week and then a longer run on the weekend. I just followed the regular schedule for Insanity.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never been able to follow a structured program while running. However, while running up to 60 miles a week, I have used Jillian Michaels or P90X videos to supplement the workouts. I either would do longer P90X or Jillian Michael's Boost Metabolism on off/cross training days or the shorter 30 minute workouts early in the morning or later at night. You do have to listen to your body though. For example, when I'm training for a marathon I probably won't do the P90X plyo workout at all btu will do others - especially for upper body strength.

now sometimes I'll do a 30 minute video in the morning or at night and run over lunch break 4 miles. This is when I have no time.

It's super hard to stick to a video "plan" but you can supplement it if you do it right. Just be sure if you are doing a long or hard run that you watch teh video you do so it's not plyo heavy or leg heavy to reduce your fatigue and injury risk!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half marathon, running 4 days a week and doing a Jillian Michaels video program 2 days a week. The JM vidoes are total body workouts and this plan is working really well for me. I'm able to get all my runs in without feelin exhausted and I'm still getting cross-training/resistance training in on my non-run days.

I think mostly it depends on what your goals are and how your energy levels are. If you've got enough to do 2 workouts a day, then go for it, but I think you'll burn out quickly.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I no longer run for endurance, but when I did I would run in the am and perform muscle work on some days in the PM, and take one rest day off per week. Long run days (sundays) I did not do any muscle work, but would instead a gentle yoga class.

Now I will typically do either HIIT runs in the am with muscle work later or a spin class in the am and muscle training later. Doing a back to back workout could compromise your form if you are tired. If you don't have time to workout twice per day, maybe you can alternate days between running and muscle.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't do a video program like Insanity, but I do strength train with a program. It's 4-5 days and I was still marathon training. Only way I was able to do it was by doing double workouts with one in the morning and one at night. Once I reverse taper after this marathon I'll be back to strength training and running 3-4 days a week during my offseason.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I wouldn't combine Insanity with running....too much stress on your joints.

But what I'm doing right now is running 3-4 days a week and lifting 2-3 days a week with one day of full rest. So I have 1 day a week where I'm doing "doubles" - but that day I do two short workouts (easy run for 30 minutes TOPS, and 30-45 minutes of lifting). I typically take just the 3 strength workouts from Chalean Extreme or Les Mills PUMP and do those 2-3 days a week, but don't do the cardio videos (unless I'm feeling especially peppy).