Can't run because of shin splints

Options

Replies

• linzchapates
    Options
    I've had really bad shin splints since I was a teenager...Proper shoes and if it's cooler seem to help for me.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes are awful they make it worse. And I do and have done most all the stretching exercises here, stretching and shoes are not the issue.
    I was going to suggest those - my shin splints cleared up when I transitioned to 'barefoot' running with minimalist shoes.

When you ran in minimals were you heel-striking? If you can transition to mid-foot striking that might help; the shock of impact is absorbed through the flex of your foot and heel rather than shooting through the shin into the knee.

That's my only advice, I'm afraid, but good luck!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm an obese runner and never had this problem, you probably can't blame it on the weight. Sometimes I get aches and pains, but never instantly.

yeah.... I've had some hammie and hip issues (mostly just tightness), but not shin splints and I haven't gotten fitted for shoes and run on pavement every time. maybe biking or power walking would be more agreeable for you OP.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that hasn't been suggested and rejected is walking.

Before I even started C25k, I walked for months. I started off small - 20 minute walks, and worked my way up to 45-60 minutes. I gradually increased my pace until it was uncomfortable and getting hard to maintain for the full distance.

I believe this helped provide a foundation for my C25k. It got my body used to the impact of walking at pace before I asked it to endure running. Perhaps that would help you also.

But really, as much as it's going to piss you off more, the very best thing you can do is consult a medical professional.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Didn't have time to read all the replies. Shin Splints show up for me for 4 reasons:

#1 Worn out shoes
    #2 Too much time on concrete....I like to use softer trails when possible
    #3 Eliptical or treadmill (every time guaranteed for me)
    #4 Failure to taking my stretching (especially lower body) seriously. And by seriously, I mean after EVERY run. Eventually the shins will tell the story.

Don't know if any of those are your problem, but I just finished my first full marathon at age 42 (2 1/4 years into running) and I had plenty of shin pain throughout the training.

I also find that when I DO have shin pain...icing the shin(s) immediately after the run helps immensely.

There's my two cents worth.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If running hurts and nothing is helping.... you changed your shoes, you've stretched you've done everything else... All I can say is.

Stop running, then.

The end. do something else. Listen to your body, not everyone is a runner, and forcing yourself could cause injury.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did not read the whole thread, so if said already, my apologies.
    Run in a pool.

Good luck on your lossing man, keep it up!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For the record I haven't said I didn't see doctors or that I wouldn't continue to see doctors. For those of you that offered useful and practical experience rather than assumptions and accusations, thank you. Useful information is what I was looking for and that was much appreciated.

Oh! Well it might be helpful if you shared your physician's diagnosis and treatment schedule with us, so we can better understand what your condition is and what he has had you try out so far.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you tried minimalist running shoes...doesn't have to be the Vibram Five Fingers, many manufacturer's make them now. Strangely I used to get shin splints when I was on high school track, but just don't really get them anymore.

That said, one of my friends who runs a lot and got shin splints a lot switched to minimalist running shoes and hasn't been getting them.

A stretching technique that has worked for me is to point my toe toward the floor and basically "write the alphabet" a few times with each leg. That and straight ice. In school the trainer made ice in Dixie cups. He'd have us sit on a towel and just rub the cup of ice up and down our shins, tearing the cup down as the ice melted. We would do it until it was gone.

A change to minimalist shoes worked for me too. I use running flats, however.
  • haylsquish
    haylsquish Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I'd like to run, but can't because of shin splints. They are pretty severe, I can't go more than hundred feet without some pretty intense pain. I have in fact been dealing with shin splints for years. I'm also not an athlete, I have no history of running and I never truly tried it before. But my cardiovascular health and health in general is excellent, so it's not like I don't have the energy to run.

All that said, I tried searching for more information here and elsewhere and I'm not really getting the kind of advanced information I'm hoping for. Things I have tried that don't help:

Compression sleeves
    Stretching and foam rollers
    Rest and extended breaks
    New and custom fitted athletic/running shoes
    Hot and cold treatments
    Different running techniques (ball of foot, ball and heel, doesn't matter)

About the only thing I'm left with is "lose more weight" which as you can see I'm in the process of doing. Assuming its even possible for me to run, and it may not be because of stress fractures or who knows what, that might be the only way. Im hoping someone else will some information that's useful.

I really struggled when I started to run with shin splints.
    I've found alternating running with swimming seems to be really helping, it's strengthening the muscle slowly.
    Try swimming one day and running the next - try running on grass and make sure you have some good shoes (I was running in terrible shoes and that was making the pain worse!)
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    in addition to some of the previous suggestions, also be sure you're hydrating and stretching adequately as these are vital to running without injury. shin pain and muscle cramping is increased with dehydration. go slow, be patient with yourself, keep trying, and go as far as you can until the pain starts and then try again next time to go farther. not everyone is a runner first time out the door -- it takes time to build up the endurance and to push through the initial physical pains. that said, DO see a doctor in case you have another issue, and consider seeing a running coach.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If running hurts and nothing is helping.... you changed your shoes, you've stretched you've done everything else... All I can say is.

Stop running, then.

The end. do something else. Listen to your body, not everyone is a runner, and forcing yourself could cause injury.

This might be the case. You're not the first person to suggest this or consider it possible. It doesn't make me happy but it could be true.

I do other stuff. Many other things. But when running is the thing you want to do I guess you just keep trying to figure out ways to make it happen. Listening to my body is something I think I'm pretty good at. Believe me I know when it hurts like this it's not something a person pushes through. You stop and listen.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Long ago my best friend and I were in a weight loss and health plan together, everything was discussed with each other. One day she told me "I'm not a doctor, but..." So I guess I mistook her for a doctor. At another time we were discussing things and I asked her what her opinion was, and she told me "see your doctor". We both worked at the same place and got complete yearly blood-work and physicals by the company doctor, plus went to our own doctor yearly and when necessary. So I can see where the OP does not want to be told to go to the doctor, because in general, adults do that without having to be told. But I understand some of the people telling him, why are you trying to run when its evident that something is not letting you run? Its been a dream of mine ever since I had to stop for the same reason, so I run in my dreams, and do other stuff for physical exertion. Running is out of my life and I'm afraid its out forever, but I make do. I hope you have success OP, don't let frustrations get you down, its just not for everybody.
  • marypatmccue
    Options

Stop running, then.

This might be the case. You're not the first person to suggest this or consider it possible. It doesn't make me happy but it could be true.

I do other stuff. Many other things. But when running is the thing you want to do I guess you just keep trying to figure out ways to make it happen. Listening to my body is something I think I'm pretty good at. Believe me I know when it hurts like this it's not something a person pushes through. You stop and listen.

If you're keen on being a runner, maybe take a break and try again later.... sometimes all we need is a little time.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi, looked at your dairy, and to be honest you are not going to lose weight eating Chipotle & McDonalds..If you clean up your diet and eat healthy, high protein, low sodium foods ect you will lose weight without having to worry about if you can run.. Try Spinning, or Stairmaster, weightlifting is the best way if you have leg issues, train hard & eat clean, educate yourself , the weight will come off. goodluck
  • lyricsmamma6469
    lyricsmamma6469 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also have horrible shin splints. I play softball and sprinting to first base is enough to cause severe pain the next day. I've recently started adding jogging into my walking routine (1 minute spurts), and the only way that I can handle the pain is to take at least 3 ibuprofin 30 minutes before I head out and I bought Dr. Scholl's inserts for arch support. I made sure the inserts specifically said "shock absorbing." I'm like you and have tried everything the internet said to do and this is the most affective for me. Good luck with your goals!!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Hi, looked at your dairy, and to be honest you are not going to lose weight eating Chipotle & McDonalds..If you clean up your diet and eat healthy, high protein, low sodium foods ect you will lose weight without having to worry about if you can run.. Try Spinning, or Stairmaster, weightlifting is the best way if you have leg issues, train hard & eat clean, educate yourself , the weight will come off. goodluck

Oh hai.

Looks like OP and I have combined to lose 34 times more weight than you have, so it's interesting that you tell us the way we eat is "not going to work."

Anyway, I'm guessing OP doesn't have health insurance is and unwilling or unable to pay regular doctor fees. He clearly has not seen a doctor, and he clearly has no intention of seeing one.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    From my own personal experience, I got beyond the problem by switching to high quality running shoes and stick to a treadmill which is more forgiving than pavement. I hope you can figure this out. I have enjoyed the ability to add running to my cardio routine. :happy: Good luck!
  • marypatmccue
    Options

Oh hai.

Looks like OP and I have combined to lose 34 times more weight than you have, so it's interesting that you tell us the way we eat is "not going to work."

Here we gooooooo!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh hai.

Here we gooooooo!

Someone's gotta save this thread.