Is this some sort of JOKE?!?!?!

I have been doing SO AWESOME at this lifestyle change since I started in August, but this has literally been the worst week ever.

Yes, I am throwing myself a pity party so if you don't want to hear it or you have any more negativity to add to my week, go away, I can't take your ****. If any of you know me, you know I am extremely sensitive, and incredibly nice to everyone, even if they don't deserve it. So honestly it is very unlike me to even be posting this right now.

Back to the point... I had finally lost 27 pounds. I have never been able to lose 10 pounds before so this was a HUGE deal for me. I was 3 pounds away from being back in the 100s and my life was MADE. I was still 203 pounds but I was ECSTATIC!
Anyhow, I wasn't doing anything different, I was working so hard to see that 199, but guess what happened when I got up on weigh in day this week? I crossed my fingers and with a big smile on my face saw 204.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give me the "1.8 pounds? It is fine honey, don't worry about it!" speech, it won't help. My jaw hit the floor and the tears started pouring, I couldn't believe that I had gained weight back. I am seriously almost depressed over this. I never go over my calories, I eat what I am supposed to... I don't know what I did wrong.

Then I have to listen to my boyfriend "There is something wrong with the scale, baby. Stop beating yourself up, blah blah blah blah blah blah." ....Well guess what? It is dropping for him, so obviously there is something wrong with me and not the f'ing scale. Then he insists on hugging me and holding me and continuing to tell me its nothing and its going to be okay and that just reminds me that I failed myself. I can't get it through his sweet *kitten* head that he is making it worse. If he would just leave me alone I would be okay.

I am just so scared that I am going to balloon back up to 230 or more and I can't take it. I don't want to be that person anymore.
I am homesick as hell, and I can't go home again until like January... Yea, no family for me on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just a 500 sq. foot apartment, a college campus down the street, and a crap ton of people I don't even like. But of course I am going to smile and act like I am peachy keen!

FML.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Is it possible that it's water retention? That time of the month? Did you eat nearly 7000 calories over maintenance that would cause you to gain fat? If not....you didn't gain 1.8lbs of fat.
  • If Britney Spears got through 2007 OK, you will get through the next eight weeks.

ETA: When I backslid earlier this year, by 15 pounds, I just put on my old winter coat and looked at how it hung off my frame. That cheered me up. Maybe that will help you.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Seriously, fluctuations like that are normal. There is no way you gained 1.8 pounds of fat that quickly. You could easily retain that much water, or just have more in your bowel than usual (yeah, probably TMI). Did you start any new exercise? Eat anything remotely salty, or maybe not enough potassium to balance out the sodium you had? Good old hormones? Any of those will do it.

Don't be scared you'll gain the weight back - you won't unless you panic and give up.
  • Is it possible that it's water retention? That time of the month? Did you eat nearly 7000 calories over maintenance that would cause you to gain fat? If not....you didn't gain 1.8lbs of fat.

No PMS, not even close to it. I might go over 1200 calories once every other week, so probably not. It is just heartbreaking b/c I am a spaz!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You do understand that there are natural body weight fluctuations right? Most people can fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day given water retention/release, waste, timing of food in/out, hormones, etc. Hell, I drop a deuce and I'll lose more than 1.8 Lbs.

Because of these fluctuations, weight loss isn't linear...you're going to need to think on that long and hard and really wrap your brain around it, otherwise you're going to be in for a very long and ****ty ride. I'd also suggest doing some research into the science of all of this...it will help you actually understand what is going on...that way you won't have to throw a fit every time this happens (and it will happen a lot). And god help you if you don't understand this stuff when you get to maintenance...if you don't understand natural weight fluctuations in maintenance you're in for real mind ****...
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    I actually did the same thing. I started out at 235 and I had never been able to get below 215lbs. I worked out, ate well, and the weight started to drop. One morning I hit 214 and I was so happy. I kept working and just couldn't wait to see how much more I lost. I weighed in next week - and I was 217. I was like you. I cried and I just couldn't understand how it had happened. I called myself a failure and a bunch of other names, and I almost gave up. Thankfully, I didn't. I stayed at 217 for about two weeks, when suddenly the scaled jumped down to 213 and then below. I did the same thing again when I got down to 204. I 'gained' a few pounds, got stuck for about week, and then suddenly it started to drop again. I always seem to go up a couple of pounds before the weight comes off. Maybe the same is true for you? In any event, don't give up. I know this is stressful, and hopefully things will turn around for you soon.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I know how frustrating it is for weight to zigzag up and down. I am big on the salty foods and my weight fluctuates 5lbs at a time. :sad: I found the really cool thread a while back that shows a false plateau, when really the trend is downwards. I think you'll like it, especially if you're a bit of a numbers and charts geek like me, and it should make you feel better. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs?hl=Plateau+graphs&page=1#
  • A quart of water weighs two pounds, so it could be as simple as some extra hydration, or a BM that didn't happen yet.

I don't know what diet regime you are on, but I know that a vegan diet will take you through those last pounds no problem. I started Dr. Dean Ornish's reversal diet to stave off heart disease, and lost twenty pounds unintentionally, though I feel full and satisfied all day. It is easy to get good nutrition, though there are not a lot of comfort foods involved.

Hang in there, stay the course. It is like sailing a boat. The winds and currents make going in a straight line impossible, but boats do arrive at their destinations.

Robert
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    If you are eating 1200 calories or even a little bit above then there is no way you gained. Yes the damn scale can be frustrating as hell but its very possible its water weight. Put on your big girl panties and keep on pushing forward. You will have many more days like this unfortunately but that's why its important to keep on kicking *kitten* everyday and you will get there.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Our bodies don't always behave the way we want them to, but I really don't think you have anything to be depressed over. The progress you've made so far is amazing-- you should be proud of yourself!

I can definitely relate to your problem. When I started losing weight back in January, I had this silly dream that I'd be back down to my ideal weight by my anniversary so I could put on my wedding dress just for kicks and giggles. My body, however, had other plans. From June until about the second week of September, I could not lose anything! I gained and lost the same two pounds the whole summer. I made a couple of adjustments (the biggest being I switched over to TDEE -20%) at the beginning of September and since then, the weight has been coming off again.

I'm not saying that you need to switch over to TDEE -20% or anything, but maybe see if there are any adjustments you can make just to see if that helps get things moving again. It sounds like, overall, you're doing all the right things!

Whatever happens, don't give up and don't let it get to you too much. Fluctuations are normal and I'm sure that if you keep doing what you have been, you'll see that scale start to move again.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I weigh myself every day, and it fluctuates. I would only start to worry if I was up 5 pounds or more. Anything lower doesn't mean much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Screen-shot-2011-10-04-at-7.55.30-PM.png

It isn't linear...get that through your head...
  • Thank you all for your kind words, I'm truthfully perking up a little bit and it is all thanks to y'all! <3 Thank you!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I know stressful weeks do it for me. No matter how good I eat, up the scale goes. This may not be the problem for you, but even stressing over getting to Onederland could do it. New exercise routines have done it to me too. The above listed stuff has done it too.

Its not a happy day, I get it. You want to see the big 199, but getting impatient is not a resolution. You are working hard. Keep at it. Your body unfortunately will not always play by your rules. If it did, none of us would be overweight in the first place. Don't let it beat you.
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member

I love this chart. This is a great chart and I personally needed to see it. I'm not as upset as the OP, but I am suffering something similar and had emailed my bootcamp trainer who essentially said something like this chart shows.

I'll give myself more grace and more time and push through!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Well you sound pretty stressed, and long term stress can also cause your body to hold onto kilos. I think it's more likely you've just got fluctuations, and it happened to occur on weigh day! Given that you have done so well with the weight loss to date it's likely to continue, so hang in there.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member

THIS x100000000000000

It took me over a year to lose 60 pounds. There were lots of ups and downs and still are. Some days i will wake up 5 pounds heavier then I was before. If you let it get to you, you are setting yourself up for failure. If this was easy, everyone would do it. Why do you think only 10% of people who start a lifestyle change actually stick with it?
  • Takinha
    Takinha Posts: 15 Member
    I won't be nice and say that you need a hug or people telling you it's ok. At least in my case were those kind of atittudes that got me here.

So what I've been trying to tell myself every time that the scales disppoints me is: Get up and go to the gym! Change your exercise, change your diet, do something and keep moving!"

I know how bad days/weeks/years are like but couch and ice cream is not gonna help.
    Well, I have a looong way to go. If you want some support feel free to add me. ^^
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    I actually did the same thing. I started out at 235 and I had never been able to get below 215lbs. I worked out, ate well, and the weight started to drop. One morning I hit 214 and I was so happy. I kept working and just couldn't wait to see how much more I lost. I weighed in next week - and I was 217. I was like you. I cried and I just couldn't understand how it had happened. I called myself a failure and a bunch of other names, and I almost gave up. Thankfully, I didn't. I stayed at 217 for about two weeks, when suddenly the scaled jumped down to 213 and then below. I did the same thing again when I got down to 204. I 'gained' a few pounds, got stuck for about week, and then suddenly it started to drop again. I always seem to go up a couple of pounds before the weight comes off. Maybe the same is true for you? In any event, don't give up. I know this is stressful, and hopefully things will turn around for you soon.
    ^ what she said. You had a good vent now.
    p.s. Give that boyfriend a big hug and kiss, He is at least being supportive. not everybody gets that.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    You do understand that there are natural body weight fluctuations right? Most people can fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day given water retention/release, waste, timing of food in/out, hormones, etc. Hell, I drop a deuce and I'll lose more than 1.8 Lbs.

Because of these fluctuations, weight loss isn't linear...you're going to need to think on that long and hard and really wrap your brain around it, otherwise you're going to be in for a very long and ****ty ride. I'd also suggest doing some research into the science of all of this...it will help you actually understand what is going on...that way you won't have to throw a fit every time this happens (and it will happen a lot). And god help you if you don't understand this stuff when you get to maintenance...if you don't understand natural weight fluctuations in maintenance you're in for real mind ****...

This saved me a lot of typing and I agree. Just keep at it and you will get there. Good luck to you. And try not to get so upset, that is not going to help you. Cheer up.