will-power...where does it come from????

Options

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Is your diet too restrictive or is it just boredom and habit? (You don't mention how many calories you're eating per day)

I would force myself to drink a bottle of water after every meal just to have that feeling of fullness.

I made sure each meal had adequate protein and fats because they contributed to feelings of satiety.

I had zero calorie drinks in the house and for those times I was especially hangry I'd juice a lime and have it with a diet Pepsi just to try and trick my body into thinking it was getting something.

Strawberries and watermelon have become staples in my home because it allows me a high volume of food for low calories.

Ultimately, I was hungry a LOT of the time, ok practically all of the time. I focussed on the present day only so as not to overwhelm myself. I reminded myself this period of deprivation was temporary and that more calories awaited me once I switched to maintenance.

Good luck and remember to take it one day at a time!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, relying on will power is a loser. You have to out - smart the behavior you are trying to change. For example, I used to get really hungry and then eat too much. I tried and tried to stop this but hunger always seemed to win. I could never keep under calories. I discovered I had to change my eating plan and not beat myself up thinking I was weak willed.

What I did was make sure that I ate every two hours something PLANNED and nutritious that contained a healthy fat, carb, and definitely some protein. I ate these snacks even if I wasn't hungry. I soon learned that when I nourished my body well, I didn't need will power to portion control and avoid extra calories.

So, my solution may not be for you, but analyze your thinking and behavior while you are snacking. If you are just bored, have planned activities that distract during those times. If you are eating because the stuff is just there, try to eliminate if possible. (Because of family members, etc. I know this is not always possible). Don't give up. Just keep trying different solutions and most of all, be kind to yourself.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem as you. Try eating a banana at 4pm. I started doing that and it holds me over until dinner and its healthy! :)
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the problem is that you don't eat enough throughout the day and get really hungry at night? Its better to eat more throughout the day when you are more active anyway. Drink lots of water, chew gum, suck on mints, brush your teeth, drink tea..
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Since you do well with a preplanned, prepackaged and bagged lunch at work, hoe about do the same for your evening snacks. Weigh your evening snacks, Portion them, put Them into baggies, put them into a brown paper lunch bag.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Will power isn't always enough. You need strategies to make it easier, so you don't have to constantly try to draw on the intangible "will power" (though practicing good habits will increase your ability to draw on that power)

I eat less during the day because I really like eating in the evening and night. As long as refraining a bit during the day doesn't lead to an "omg I'm so hungry!" binge, feel free to save some calories for that specific time of day.

Instead of picking at a little of this and a little of that as you try to avoid eating too much...consiously prepare and eat an actual nutritious snack. DECIDE to have a snack that will satisfy you. Something with protein and maybe a little fat and/fiber will give your body much more than little bits of lots of things.

The urge to graze may never completely leave you...sometimes we DO just want a little of this and a little of that. Ok. Have it...BUT...plan it out. Let's say you've got 200 calories you can dedicate to your evening graze. Decide what things you want, measure them out, log them. Then over your 3 hour period, feel free to grab your couple of chips...your small piece of chocolate...some of last nights leftover meatloaf...whatever. By portioning it out ahead of time, you are free to mindlessly pick at it.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    They sell it in 12 oz bottles. IM KIDDING!!!! My trick is telling myself I can have the thing I want and I can eat all I want because who cares if I gain back all the weight? And then I fight with myself and win telling myself I do and I don't need that. Strange thing is I don't want something when I'm told I can have it but tell me I can't have something and I'm gonna have it just proving I can. I actually do better with stuff I shouldn't eat in the house because if I know it's available I just feel stronger knowing I can stay away. That's how I practice it and I do well If i may say so myself.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Snack healthy. Carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry tomatos, brocolli pieces, etc. Put out vegetables for you to snack on before dinner. Maybe some fruit. Apples, strawberries.

It wouldn't do the kids any harm either, if you aren't able to go past "their" snacks to eat yours and so just need to have the healthy snacks out.
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great suggestions- from chewing gum, to drinking more water, to eating a planned snack before leaving work, to portioning all my snacks out in advance- are all great and make sense, i will try them all! :)

Someone asked about my calorie goal- I have a daily calorie goal of 1350. It was originally set by MFP at 1200 but I just felt like I was starving all the time so I decided to go with less than 1lb a week weight loss but actually be able to do it (I'm pretty short and have a desk job so it seems I don't burn much...). I don't eat back all my exercise calories, but do eat them back in part- and whoever said it's easier to eat healthy and stay on track the days you're exercising- so true!!! I would exercise every day if I could but unfortunately my work schedule, husband's travel schedule for work, plus the kids won't allow it. So I get it in where I can :)

Thanks all for your tips on getting control over the snacking!
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    GUM.
    Gum is the ONLY way I've stopped that habit. I'm chompin on gum all day.

Do you log it? my gum is 5 calories each piece. Maybe I should start smoking to quit the gum lol
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I like your update.
    Where does will power come from? The desire to change has to be stronger than the desire not to. easier said than done. I failed with a bagel today, but that was earlier... time to move on. I also remembered how lousy they make me feel, so thats good.

I also use to say I had no time to exercise. I was wrong, again, it didnt' mean enough. a 40 hour a week job, an hour total commute, two kids ages 4 and 6, and a husband and building a business.... I get up early and work out in the AM. I am NOT a morning person. I'm currently doing T25, it helps to know I only have to schedule a half hour in the AM.

I am also short (Under 5 food) have a desk job and don't get a lot of calories because of my size. (so not fair! lol)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have kids too and we don't have this stuff in the house, except for special occasions. If you want to nibble before dinner, have raw veggies on hand. There is no need for your kids to have this crap in their lunches. Our school doesn't allow stuff like that. My kids get sliced apple or grapes and cheese sandwiches for lunch. If we get chips, cookies or chocolate, it will be for a party, such as a Halloween party we just had. After it's gone, it's gone.
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It may be kind of difficult for you because of your family, but I just don't keep anything tempting in the house. Also the fact that I am very faithful to logging everything usually stops me simply because I don't want the hassle of figuring out the calorie count or even just entering it in my diary.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Distraction and redirection help a lot to build will power. When you want to snack, do something else for a few minutes to see if the urge passes. Play an online video game, check your Facebook, read an article or book, take a walk, organize a drawer...anything to put off eating for a few minutes.

I use snacking as a form of procrastination. I've just switched my procrastination habits to something that doesn't include food. I'm not actually getting anything else accomplished, but my food choices are much healthier when I can distract myself with Facebook or Angry Birds.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a boiled egg when a fierce desire to snack comes on. It ought to kill your appetite. And eventually you'll get sick of boiled eggs, and it will serve as "aversion therapy". :bigsmile:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Will power comes from CONSISTENT DISCIPLINE and structured routine. Usually people who commit to being consistent with their eating won't have too many issues with will power. If one is ALWAYS saying "oh this won't hurt" or "I'll start again tomorrow", they will always fight the battle with the bulge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That's my hard time, right after work. I've tried a couple things. I save a piece of fruit from my lunch and eat it on the way home. My other thing is my weak tastebud is salty like chips etc. So I bought a big jar(so I thought it was big until it's almostgone) of dill pickles. really good ones like Clausen. The brand I bought are only 5 calories for a really huge spear. A couple of those and my craving subsides....and since I am also watching my sugar somewhat they have no sugar at all! :bigsmile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try not to leave things up to "will power" or self control. I try to plan things out. If I know I will graze, I plan a snack to keep me from grazing like some crunchy celery with peanut butter or carrot sticks with greek yogurt dip. I tend to eat what I planned instead of grazing.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I keep a huge bottle or cup of ice water with me at all times!!! If I feel the need to snack I just chug away lol. It helps me so much.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Plan your day around those extra snack calories or cut up some veggies and graze on them instead of the other snacks. Worse comes to worse, don't have those snacks in the house.