Any runners using a Fitbit?

Options
And if so, what do you think? My garmin has always been fine for my runs but I'm now incorporating different activities for which it's a bit cumbersome. So I'm considering alternatives.... Thanks in advance

Replies

• Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use it to support the garmin. The fitbit is tied into the MFP but the garmin is not. Garmin for run analysis and tracking mileage and Fiotbit for calories which neither gets right but fitbit is closer to right then Garmin.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    Curious about what other people say about it.... I've been meaning to buy it (it's in my Amazon wish list) because I'm aiming to run a marathon in a few months.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip and at first I didn't trust it too much and used my HRM at the same time for runs but I find the Zip is pretty close as far as calories go so now I only use the HRM if I want to monitor HR as I'm running or get an exact time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use mine, but just for time and distance not calories. I'm not sure how accurate it is on distance. When I ran my half-marathon, it logged over 16 miles.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at the Fitbit for estimating calories burned while running that's fine, but if you're looking at it to track distance I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have GPS, and instead estimates distance based on the number of steps you take and your stride (either the default estimate based on your height or what you've set your stride to be). When I first got my Fitbit I tested the walking stride and it was dead on for me for mileage. After running for a couple of months I ran a 5K route and the Fitbit said I had run 4.5 miles instead of 3.1, so it wasn't even close for my running stride. When I run I wear my Fitbit for steps but I use my Garmin (I have a watch) for distance.