Help my by posting your low or zero sodium foods/recipes

Options
***Help me***:flowerforyou:
I feel like everything I eat is surprisingly HIGH in sodium!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! =) I am aiming to be under 2,000 a day. Feel free to check out my diary - all suggestions welcome! Thanks guys & gals!
P.S. The Chicken/rice soup at Subway - 900 Sodium!!!! YIKES! :noway:

Replies

• eyoreblu
    Options
    I too would love some suggestions. I am keeping under my calories for the most part, but I seem to have the best success if I can keep way below my sodium intake! I still eat a lot of processed food for breakfast and lunch such as lean cuisine, would love some fast easy suggestions for variety.
  • Skinnyme87
    Options
    Plain oatmeal is very low sodium, fresh veggies, fruits..just a few Im stumped for other suggestions as well. Sodium is something I need to work on
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Just make sure you're checking labels on everything! The sodium amount should be equal or less than the calories.. It's hard sometimes, but possible! I'm still working on it! And I stay away from fast food because there is always a ton of sodium in that.
    I stopped adding salt to anything.. I only use pepper, lemon pepper, or garlic salt.. My nutritionist friend said that you can train your taste buds to get used to it, and it's true! I tried adding some salt to my rice the other day and YUCK! Too much! lol
    And on the days that you go over in sodium, try to drink more water ;-)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump. i need some new ideas.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    You're going to have to give up processed food and start cooking from scratch. Switch to sea salt...it's saltier and you need less for flavor. Sodium is added to processed(canned, deli, pre made food) to make it taste better. It isn't good for us. ARGH!!! I'm mad at the market for selling us this as a convenience. It's not convenient to get sick and wait around at the doctors, hospitals and waste our money on health care and meds.

Marinara sauce is so easy to make!!! I use raw tomatoes, puree them...even if a recipe calls for canned.

extra virgin olive oil
    chopped onion
    chopped garlic
    saute...add your raw tomatoes and simmer...add rosemary, oregano, basil, sea salt, pepper, red pepper and you've got spaghetti or pizza sauce!!! simmer for 25 min.

Many soups have the same base. IF you'd learn to cook the above, you'll be making all sorts of tasty low sodium meals!!!!

Want chicken??? dice your chicken and add it to the onion/garlic mixture and saute until light brown(caramelized) then add your tomatoes and seasonings. Or skip the tomatoes and add other veggies/zucchini, red pepper...steam broccoli...yum!!

Made some pita bread and top w/the marinara sauce and an oz of fresh mozzarella cheese! bake at 450 bottom rack for 15 min on a cookie sheet greased w/extra virgin olive oil. Yummy pizza!! That's what we have for dinner and it's all good for you!

Pita bread or whole wheat flour tortilla wraps. Marinade your chicken in a balsamic dressing: 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper...marinade 1 hour and grill....slice thin and put into your pitas or wraps...fill with cucumbers, tomatoes, green leafy lettuce, avocado, and top with plain unsweetened yogurt...it's to die for!!!

Soups! Look up lentil soups...add sliced carrots and celery to the "base" mixture above, add some fresh pureed tomatoes, add 1 cup lentils and 8 cups of water. Season to your liking...yummy w/basil and add 2 TBL balsamic vinegar after an hour of cooking.

Just start looking up recipes and substitute raw pureed tomatoes or boil your own beans in place of canned! Then you'll get a low sodium diet ;)
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you can stay away from the processed food it'll help. I've basically threw out my microvwave, if I can't cook it with the stove then I prolly didn't need it to begin with. This is my thought on it, its seem to help me so far :)

Crusted Chicken (Serves people 6)

Ingredients
    Food Club - Bread Crumbs Italian Style, 1/2 cup
    Aldi-Reggano - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 Tbsp
    Capatriti - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
    Kroger - Egg Large Grade A, 1 egg
    Perdue - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (Corrected 10/11/10), 24 oz

Per Serving: Cal 208, Carbs 8, Fat 9, Sug. 1, Sod 323, Prot 28

Aldi Parm Cheese
    Aldi EVOO
    Perdue Chicken (cut into 4oz portions)
    Red pepper flakes
    Pepper
    Egg

Directions
    Cut Chicken in 4oz portions
    Add pepper, Red pepper flakes, Parm cheese and bread crumbs and mix
    Dip chicken in egg, then lightly in breading mixture
    Put in a hot skillet with 2tbsp of EVOO and brown
    Finish in oven, until done.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When you buy vegtables get fresh or frozen... frozen hardly has any soduim if any.... anything in a can is usually loaded with sodium... I have foung very low soduim toamatos in a can though like 20mg... I like to cook things like chicken with okra and tomatos, and pork loin(fat trimmed off) with fields peas and snap beans toss them in a crock pot with whatever seasonings you like (watch the salt content in the seasonings) and you can stay under 2000mg. Youhave to cook to stay under though in most cases.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    All the low sodium foods are not too recipe friendly to be honest. Old-fashioned rolled oats, protein powder...there's my recipe! lol
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    half turkey breast roasted with a teasp of oilive oil, pepper and garlic (not garlic salt). Great for dinner and for sandwiches and salads during the week. I steam veggies with garlic (chopped clove) too!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have started using lime juice instead of salt in meat recipes - tastes great!
    Here's a chicken soup recipe I made earlier this week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/127990-low-fat-low-sodium-chicken-noodle-soup

Edited to add: My diary is public and I am pretty good about limiting my sodium - you are welcome to check it out and try to get some ideas from there.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    We just got a toaster oven and are trying to figure it out...timing...the microwave probably will not be replace when it dies ;) Love influencing my family!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    bump!
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium under 1200mg, you are welcome to look at my diary,

it took me a while to pare down the ingredients of my personal plan, finding very low sodium versions of things, but here are my favorites:

almond milk for my coffee, cow dairy has so much sodium and could not find low sodium milk anywhere,

very low sodium tuna, Starkist, but expensive, then the other day I found very low/ no sodium tuna at Trader Joes at half the price of Starkist,

low sodium rice cakes,

low or no sodium cottage cheese by Knutsen, in turquoise container, I live in California,

Fiber One cereal and Laughing Cow cheese are the exceptions that are just as they are, but since the rest of my foods are fresh fruit and veg I do very well,

like I said most days I am at about 1000mg and I am feeling wonderful,

I have lost some weight but I think it is the sodium that is helping the most,

remember that the salty sugary fat triangle is how we got here and remembering to avoid these will cure us

best of luck on your journey
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    you can make all of your recipes low in sodium by eliminating any salts the recipe might call for, using low sodium or no sodium products and cooking as many whole, clean foods as you can. Try to keep in mind that you and your body want the fuel you put in it to be as close to the source as possible, we function better the cleaner we eat!
  • janalenee
    janalenee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

I have been trying out some of the CLEAN EATING foods from the website...It's so hard sometimes with working full time and raising 3 little ones! I never have paid attention to the sodium in the foods! Now that I have been, I can't believe the sodium I was consuming! :noway:

I am posting a recipe I got from one of the girls at work. She is a "clean eating" fanatic!!:drinker: I have tried the recipe and my family LOVED it!!

Ingredients
    1 ea. Flat Out Wrap (any flavor) (http://www.flatoutbread.com/) * Find this by the deli counter @ Kroger/Meijer or any grocery store* Ask for FLAT OUT Wraps they come in all flavors (sun dried tomato, Italian, whole grain..ect. ) They are also great for turkey wraps or lunch options

1/4 c. pizza sauce ( I use Organic Muer Glen) Or whatever you have around with not a ton of salt & sugar.. Anything works!

1/2c. Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese ( small amount)

Any pizza toppings you choose
    * We love the turkey pepperoni ( in the pizza section @ the grocery store- 70% less fat then regular pepperoni*
    Peppers, onions, pineapple, Canadian bacon, mushrooms.. Whatever you like.. BE CREATIVE.. PUSH VEGGIES WITH THE KIDDIES!

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 1 Flat Out Wrap on a cookie sheet.. ( brush with EVOO & spices lightly if you like) and bake it for 7 mins or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and spread the sauce and cheese on it. You can add any veggies, pepperoni, or whatever else you prefer!
    Once you get it "built", bake for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking.. Bottom will easily burn so keep an eye on it!

You get the whole thing all to yourself! :-)
    * I suggest doing a pizza buffet and have everyone in your fam make their own and bake up to two at a time on a cookie sheet

Number of Servings: 1

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ON YOUR JOURNEY!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND DO NOT GIVE UP!! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU SUGGESTIONS!!! :heart:
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BUMP