Substitue for push-ups?

Options
Okay so.... I started going to therapy twice a week for my wrist... and my therapist said NO PUSHUPS. Im doing the Jillian Michaels 30DS..... what can I substitue the push-ups with?? Oh, and the squat-and-press too.

Replies

• rolemodel69
    Options
    Push-ups : Bench press,plank
    squat : Wall chair (Holding), Lunges, step-ups
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Standard push ups can be a problem on wrists for some people. Try the handles that are used for raised push ups where you go down farther (the stable stationary ones, not the perfect push-up kind). Because you keep your wrists straight and in line with your body when using them, they may be just what you need to work your arms, shoulders, and chest without putting too much stress on your wrists.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ask your therapist, it depends on the reason for no pushups. (Yes I read it is related to the wrist)
    Personally I struggle with normal pushups due to the way the weight bares down on my wrist, whilst I can do pushups on my fists without any issues.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do a bench chest press. Sometimes my wrist & shoulder bother me doing planks or trying to do pushups, so I do that so the pressure is off my joints, but still working the muscles you want.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues, so pushups are a problem for me - so I've switched to strengthen my back muscles instead by doing chest pull ups or lat pull ups with a TRX strap
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    most often it's the 90* angle issue that's the problem.

Check with said therapist... then grab a railing- chair- or dumbbells- or fist push ups something that gets the wrist NOT at 90* and have at it.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Push ups and planks hurt my wrist sometimes, so I do them on my fists or elbows (elbows for planks only, obv). Check with your PT first, but you could try doing the pushups on your fists, or just planking on your elbows during the push up time.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When my wrists are sore (sore... not recovering from a traumatic injury) I just do push ups on my knuckles to keep my wrists in line. You can also wrap your wrists, just go buy some athletic wrap from a sporting goods store. It adds a lot of stability.