I stopped counting!

Options

Replies

• NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Love this idea! I've had something similar brewing in the back of my mind for a while now. The way you broke it down makes me see how I can implement it. Thanks!
    Counting is a pain in the butt and just makes me more obsessed with food when I do it. My workaround has been to plan all my meals in advance so I don't need to count anything during the week. I've developed a system for myself, which I call "modular meals" - every part of my meals (protein, vegetable, etc.) has 2-3 possible choices of food item which are equal in calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc. so I can just mix and match and It'll still be the same numbers. Let me demonstrate by showing my meals:

My breakfast contains one 70-gram serving of fruit, half a cup of cottage cheese, and 1 meat. That fruit could be papaya or cantaloupe, which are equivalent, and the meat could be one egg, or two turkey breakfast sausage links, or three strips of center-cut bacon, all of which are also equal. A 12-oz cup of coffee with a tablespoon of regular creamer and a packet of Splenda completes breakfast.

Dinner can be 4 oz of chicken tenderloin or a fish fillet (usually tilapia; it's inexpensive), and this week I'm adding lean pork tenderloin to the menu. All of those are equivalent. Dinner also includes leafy green salads of various kinds with 6 grape tomatoes and 2 tbsp of a lite dressing of my choice. The dressings in my collection range from 40 to 60 calories per serving, all under 3 carbs, so they are fairly interchangeable as well.

Snack is a negligible-calorie vegetable (a few spears of cucumber or zucchini, or two medium stalks of celery) with a tablespoon of lite ranch-type dressings for dip.

So because all my meals are modular like that, I never have to count. The only time I count anything anymore is when adding a new food option to my menu, which isn't often. Also no meal planning and analysis = no need to think about food almost ever. That's helped me break the cycle of a food-centric life more than anything I've ever tried.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me stop counting for a couple of weeks. I found that even though I was supposed to, I couldn't break myself of it and was logging anyway, even if they were guestimates. Or, if I did stop, I knew I was going to start counting again soon, so I felt I had to get all the foods I don't eat while counting in before I restricted them again. I don't think this was the healthy food relationship he was going for!

We may try another time period of no counting soon; after doing it most of the year I've really been burned out on all the obessing, counting, restricting, etc. Although, I still think he has me a little low on cals for my exercise level, so that's contributing too.

I was surprised that I pretty much maintained when I wasn't counting, even though I know I wasn't meeting my macros. I started counting again, and I'm down a few lbs. Maybe if we try again, I'll be able to not count and still lose, though I was glad at least to not gain.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have said on a few occasions that I was obsessed with the numbers and would take a 24 hour break...then right back at it, because it's a part of my routine.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I dont count my food - I use the site to log it, maintaining a food diary so that my nutritionist and my trainer can check but I dont agonise over food worrying that if I eat an other protein muesli bar than how many calories that would be or that I am eating "more" than others.

I "count" my exercise with an HRM as i am in training for triathlons and knowing the cal burnt and my heart rate during and right after workouts help me assess the effectiveness of the training - whether I have to do more - increase intensity- or less of a certain task.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I take logging breaks. I still like to log regularly, more so for hitting my macros than for calories.i think I have the calorie thing down, but still working on hitting my macros on my own.
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it's unrealistic to log for the rest of your life, that could be 30, 40 or 50 years! I think until you get to goal, then do it, then weekly weigh yourself, and keep regular exercise and eat everything in moderation. It shouldnt be a diet, cos diets don't work.
    It should be just eating to fuel your body, not deprive or be obsessive. You know the tools, you just have to stay motivated, and check in with someone each week if need be to discuss issues around food etc.Keep a fat photo on the fridge or pantry to remind you how far you have come and where you don't want to return.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!!! Congrats! Seriously as a holistic health coach who was lost 120 pounds without surgery, getting to know your body and what you NEED to live a healthy vibrant life is important. We all have to GET to that step, it takes time! Very happy for you..I have too found myself very OCD with calories and even the scale at times.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking when I went into maintenance (6ish months ago), and since then have continued to lose weight here and there. At first I was ok with it, because I liked how I looked (and yes, it's a rush to be able to comfortably wear size 2 jeans :blushing: :laugh: ).

But, I've had to start tracking this week again, after hitting another new low which puts me uncomfortably close to an underweight bmi (I'm about 3 pounds away right now). I decided to start tracking 3-4 days a week and see where I'm at, and the first day was this past Wednesday. I even ate more than I normally did and felt sluggish and icky by the end of the day. With exercise calories factored in I came in at over 300 calories short :noway: No wonder I've been losing weight still!

After thinking about it I've realized two things-1. I've started walking/running AFTER I transitioned into maintenance (I did no exercise at all during active weight loss). Those exercise calories are messing me up to an extent. And then 2. I've started eating a mostly whole foods, plant based diet since transitioning into maintenance and the foods I now eat are ridiculously high in fiber and have a lot of filling power. The old me could scarf down 1,000 calories in french fries and still be hungry. Try eating 1,000 calories in oatmeal :laugh: Soooo-in summary, I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do next. I think I'm a maintenance failure :sad:
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I truly believe if someone has no control over food, meaning, they just can't seem to make wise decisions about what to eat and how much to eat, counting calories will be a very useful tool that will get them on the right direction. For some, this will be something they won't be able to live without, while for others counting will be just the beginning and eventually they won't needed anymore.

About 4 years ago counting calories helped me to bulk up, and not so much about counting everyday, but about calculating how many calories there was in each serving of food I was planning on starting to eat.

Recently, I was counting calories and working out without any success, 4 months ago I decided to stop counting calories while still keep my workout routine, and as you can see in this picture, that's when I able to finally see big changes in my body.
    120.jpg
  • thenewmoni
    thenewmoni Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I stopped this weekend. I wrote down everything I ate and when I got to back to work I put it in. I found that I ate less then usual. I was listening to my body and not how many calories I have left.
    This was only my first time trying but I think I will try again this weekend.

I think I will try this out this weekend. I'm tired of obsessing about calories and going over my allowed limit. I realized when i maintained my weight on vacation I never counted anything. It was when i started counting again, i started gaining!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable to continue logging indefinitely because I know that I would undereat out of paranoia if I wasn't counting. I really don't think I look good any thinner than a size 4. I've started doing a lot of pre-logging at the beginning of the day and it helps me plan out a healthy day, and not just binge at the end of the day to get in the leftover calories.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When I transitioned to maintenance, I initially logged during the week but not on weekends. In October I set myself the challenge to not log food at all. I essentially eat the same type of food day in day out anyway, with the occasional meal out etc.

I've maintained pretty well over the last month! I've kept up my exercise and have moved onto a more strength-based routine with some added cardio, and I just eat when I'm hungry. Although I do fast once a week (6:1), so that allows me a lot of leeway.

What has changed is the type of food I eat. Whereas before when out, I would have ordered a lasagne with a side of chips & salad, I now order a lovely chicken or seafood salad (without the dressing). And I scoff the lot :drinker: I still drink beer/wine etc, eat ice cream, have the occasional 'treat', but my usual food of choice is high protein, high fibre and low-ish carbs. I now know they are the foods that make me feel good inside and out, so I'm more than happy to continue eating them :smile:

I couldn't keep logging food. For me, I get a little too obsessive. I needed to relax a little. I understand why some people will continue to log, and that's awesome. If I had of kept logging my food, my head would have got a little messed up. It's already a little warped, so I need to keep what little sanity I have :wink: :laugh:
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump

I think you know you've done well when you don't need to count anymore. Intuitive eating should be everyone's goal.
  • pro1989
    Options
    Even the best systems need constant evaluation and without some point of references ones cannot do that!

However it all comes how bad you want something. I had my ex who lost her job as she really did not like to wake up early in the morning.

I truly believe that to have excellent results you have to undertake sacrifices, but of course most of them fear excellent results.

Anywaw good luck to all of us, with or without logging activity.

Cheers
  • Dalnurse
    Options
    I only guesstimate, as I am doing warriors diet, and am too lazy to put in my macros here every day. I eat very very few processed carbs...I hate scales too... I've always weighed heavy. No one believes my weight anyhow, and I have four girls who I don't want obsessing. It's how my clothes fit... I was 134 lbs this time last year and a size four...I do a lot of weight training and HIIT, and controlled fatigue training, so, I expect my fat to drop, and muscle weight to stay pretty stable... Cut out the beer, and VOILA! I dropped 12 lbs in six weeks!
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I usually count from Mon to Fri and on Sat and Sun I don't log on to count calories...this doesn't mean I go crazy...I guestimate calories and I eat some of the same foods so I know more or less - but yeah, counting every day gets tiresome.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I counted for over a year and now have stopped. I always get some form of exercise every day. I make mindful decisions of what I am going to eat. I eat when I am hungry not when I am bored. I stop when I am full.

With counting I started noticing I was obsessing over food too much.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Timely topic for me. I had become so obsessed I would not sit down to eat until everything was logged, then I'd start manipulating my plate. Today I made the decision to stop counting for 3 weeks. I am very well versed on nutrition and portion control plus being physically active every day. I needed to give myself a break to get grounded again. I'm not afraid of gaining weight, but will miss the data and...reactive behavior... :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I need to count but I understand not obsessing. The big thing is the habit.

This is stupid, but only checking the maintenance community (which doesn't change much) and not the other lists helps keep me off the site. I actually don't obsess about food. It's just an internet thing that I can get into the habit of.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Heybales and I were talking and he reminded me: the more repetitive and habit like your eating is, the easier it is to not log. I eat one of 3 things for breakfast every day. I eat one of maybe 5 things for lunch. And we have a number of dinner recipes, and add new ones all the time, but using a handful of whole foods as the primary ingredients. THAT makes up probably 80% of my eating (plus wine with dinner most nights). Intuitive eating isn't too hard if you know what you're eating.

When I go out, if it's a new restaurant or I'm going to try something new you can be sure I'm going to use MFP to look at the nutritional information of what I'm wanting to eat.

I bet many of us know what we eat for 2 of our 3 meals most days and could eat by allotting calories for the third and snacks.