Low Calorie intake, plus exercise?

Options
I know that if you lower your caloric intake everything you eat is stored as fat. However, if you exercise heavily while maintaining a low caloric intake, wouldn't you lose fat?

Replies

• SarcasticManiac
    Options
    My understanding is that it's really as simple as calories in vs. calories out. If you're creating calorie deficits, you lose weight. You do have to be careful though, that you don't eat fewer than about 1,200 calories every day because eating less than that will put your body into "starvation mode" which will make it reluctant to burn fat. That's why it's important to exercise to create calorie deficits and not rely on diet alone. Hope this helps!
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    You want to make sure you're getting enough calories and not go TOO low otherwise your body will just hold on to everything you take in and you'll eventually start to shut down. That's not good. It's good to know what your BMR is and then calculate your TDEE from that (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and then eat maybe like 300-400 cals under your TDEE.
  • Jennweav
    Options
    Thanks for your input
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i'm not really sure on this

i always thought calorie intake vs calorie outgoing...and i lost 20lbs from eating 1200-1300cals a day but using up about 1600 in exercise...eventually though my body rebelled and went into 'starvation mode; and decided to start storing the fat....

so i'd say as long as you eat some of those exercise cals(i didn't agree until i've started eating some and the weight loss has kicked in again) and keep your cal levels over 1200 you should be ok
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, I guess....Exercising and eating a very low calorie diet....I'm in a "normal weight range", but still want to lose another 10 pounds or so. My weight loss has stopped and is actually yo-yoing up and down a half pound or so. I keep thinking I should try to eat a bit more, but then I panic and don't. How frustrating to work out like a fiend and not see the scale dropping! =\
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is too low compared to your caloric expenditure, your body will hold onto it's fat stores and start using lean muscle for an energy source. This is exactly what you don't want. Less muscle means a lower metabolic rate, which means that it will get increasingly difficult to lose the fat that you're trying to get rid of. A large calorie deficit will also lower your resting metabolic rate to try to make up for the difference, which will again result in increased difficulty in losing fat. My advice is to try to keep close to your calorie goal, and eat at least half of your exercise calories. If you're not already, start doing some strength training a couple of times a week to ensure that you are maintaining and possibly increasing your lean muscle mass. This will keep your metabolism higher, and ensure that you're burning fat, not muscle. Good luck!
  • Jennweav
    Options
    Exactly alike!
  • Jennweav
    Options
    If your calorie intake is too low compared to your caloric expenditure, your body will hold onto it's fat stores and start using lean muscle for an energy source. This is exactly what you don't want. Less muscle means a lower metabolic rate, which means that it will get increasingly difficult to lose the fat that you're trying to get rid of. A large calorie deficit will also lower your resting metabolic rate to try to make up for the difference, which will again result in increased difficulty in losing fat. My advice is to try to keep close to your calorie goal, and eat at least half of your exercise calories. If you're not already, start doing some strength training a couple of times a week to ensure that you are maintaining and possibly increasing your lean muscle mass. This will keep your metabolism higher, and ensure that you're burning fat, not muscle. Good luck!

I will loose muscle before fat? That's not a good choice...so much info, so many choices, UGH :)
  • AngelaS71
    Options
    Question for you? Does this mean that if I should eat 1200 calories a day per the program info, but I am burning 400-700 a day with cardio and strength training, should I really be eating more than 1200. I guess I am asking if I should be eating enough to where after I excercise, I will be at a net calorie intake of 1200?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Question for you? Does this mean that if I should eat 1200 calories a day per the program info, but I am burning 400-700 a day with cardio and strength training, should I really be eating more than 1200. I guess I am asking if I should be eating enough to where after I excercise, I will be at a net calorie intake of 1200?

This is what most people on this site recommend, and that's why MFP adds exercise calories to your daily calorie goal. While not everyone needs a net of 1200, it is a good general number that is considered safe for pretty much everyone. Some people, though, find they need their net to be higher or they lose energy, get headaches, etc. It's an individual thing. Very few people should be operating with a net under 1200 on a regular basis - mostly those who are really petite and don't have much to lose.