recovering from an eating disorder

Options
2»

Replies

• rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are in New York. If that's the case, here are some support groups (many of them free):

http://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/recovery/support-groups/new-york-ny

I think support groups are very useful in recovery for many disorders, but they also give you a free knowledge base. The leader and other members have not only experienced what you've experienced, but many have done so on a limited budget and may have a wealth of resources--non-profits, mentorship programs, etc. The hardest part is going to your first meeting.

On the food side, sneak healthy fats where you can. Add flax meal to oatmeal (or to a smoothie made of greek yogurt, avocado, banana, and coconut water--yum). But don't go this road alone if you can avoid it.

Do you have a close friend whose health (not size) you admire? Could you ask him or her to keep a food log, so you can see what a balanced, healthy diet looks like?

Side note: one of my roommates in college had an eating disorder, which she denied for years, though we all watched her go from binging on two quarts of ice cream and purging to eating nothing but eggplant. It wasn't until about 4 years after school ended that she went to rehab. By that time, she was all bones and her hair was falling out. Today she is a mother of 3, and quite open about her previous struggle. She won her fight, but I know she wishes she had done it earlier, so she had more years loving herself, and fewer wishing herself away. Good for you for acknowledging the problem now and please don't be afraid to ask others for help!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ive been in your shoes 2 1/2 years ago and this worked for me:
    Try having Oatmeal for breakfast and add: chopped nuts, dried coconut, pb, whole banana, Flax and Chia seeds. It will keep you full and its full of healthy nutrients. Thats my fav breakfast !

Try roasting chickpeas with your favourite spices.Preheat oven to 400 and bake for 35 minutes for 45 for crunchyness.

I love eating bananas with a heaping spoonful of peanutbuter dusted in cinnamon !

Add nuts to salad for crunch and texture.

Go on Google or Pintrest and type in raw sauces because most of them are nut based with healthy plant based ingredients inside. I love making kale chips with a roasted red pepper cashew sauce. I have also used the sauce and put it on pasta with veggies and chicken, perfect meal.

Add protein powder can boost your calories bc usually they are around 150-200 per scoop.

Finally you should eat greek yogurt because its got good probiotics and a big does of protein to help you gain healthy muscle. You can add anything in greek yogurt, basically what you can put in your oats you can put in yogurt.
    Fruit raw or dried,nuts, cocopowder, instant coffee, instant dry pudding mix, spices, maplesyrup, honey, protein powder
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like to have a sliced apple with peanut butter and cheddar cheese.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't have time right now to send a detailed message but feel free to add me as a friend and I'll support you however I can! I'm a recovering restrictive bulimic, going strong for 2 years now! (:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hey there!
    i am currently being screened for a research program to see if i am eligible, i am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa and have been struggling 11 years with the disease, with bouts and cycles, some quite long, of recovery.

i love to mash chickpeas with some greek yogurt and spices (onion powder, dillweed, sage, black pepper, garlic) and mash avocado in with it. add some celery or shredded carrots. you can top that on a salad, eat it as is or make it in a wrap (maybe a low carb wrap so it doesn't stress you out?) almost similar to a chicken or tuna salad, good to get some protein in there and some healthy fats from avocado and greek yogurt.

sunflower seeds are awesome, i love them on salads, just plain as a snack, or you can blend them in a smoothie.

try cooking with a little extra olive oil as well.

i have a lot of foods that are triggers for me or in my mind not safe, and i am currently working with my therapist on reintroducing fear foods. we are starting off with liquid calories.

i also love avocado just plain as a snack with cumin sprinkled on it. you can make guac as well and have that on a taco salad (can use tofu, meatless grounds, seitans or black beans) with taco seasoning and serve that over lettuce with other taco toppings and the guac.

best of luck to you and feel free to add me if you want a recovery buddy or need support, same for anyone else on this thread as well
  • keem88
    Options
    also for myself, i need to totally disown the scale. i can't stand to see numbers going up which is a huge trigger.
    i up my cals a little at a time, because the full feeling or being bloated also can be a trigger to want to restrict. even if it is 50-100 cals every week or two, for me that is helpful.

eating disorders annonymous have support groups in person, online and via phone if there are any in your area, you can always do the phone or online ones. they are very helpful i think. also, maybe see if there are any clinical trials or research programs going on. that is how i am trying to do treatment, i cannot afford to see a therapist weekly or anything and i should know early this week if i am approved for the research study. they offer weekly session with the dr/psychiatrist and several nutrionist sessions, as well as support if you need to call and talk to someone, and i didn't even know when i signed up but there is compensation for it as well, throughout the 6-7 month period a total of $350.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't have A eating disorder, but I'm a vegetarian as well, and my diary is open so feel free to request me and look at it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you're seeking help. Congrats. That's the first step. :flowerforyou:
  • mforsis
    Options
    This is a local resource but I think there is information that may be useful to others

http://keltymentalhealth.ca

click on resources

check out refine search

tick the eating disorders box

and perhaps "video or presentation"

I particularly like the second box for those who are doing this without professional help

If you start there your google searches should take you to other useful sites (just make sure they are authoritative)
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Options
    Don't worry you will get through this. Food is not the enemy, it is simply the source for which you live off. Try eating healthy things so that way you do not feel ashamed for eating. i struggled with anorexia nervosa and i still do a little bit. Also, try doing exercise for fun not to burn calories. I feel a lot more satisfied and full filled with my workout when i actually enjoy it. I believe you will get through this for you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. You have a beautiful spirit, honor your spirit by loving the physical form at which your spirit lives in. I never used to believe i was beautiful, but looking at it from the standpoint of i am beautiful has helped my self esteem issues dramtically. You will get through this, i believe in you.
    P.S. God bless you and good luck.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    I'm currently struggling to recover from a restrictive eating disorder, but I'm having a really hard time getting enough to eat. Part of it is that I've simply forgotten what a "normal" day of food or "normal" meals look like, and I know part of it is also the mental obstacle of making myself eat.

So for anyone who is in recovery/has recovered, what were some foods/recipes that you found manageable, despite being high calorie? I've tried looking up therapeutic foods for anorexia recovery but surprisingly I didn't find much. I know that nut butters and avocado are high fat/calorie, but I can't think of any way to eat them other than on bread, and I'm getting so tired of sandwiches (plus eating a lot of carbs is very stressful).

Also, I find it really hard to eat large amounts of a single food, so if anyone had any ideas that combine some high calorie foods that would be helpful. Last night I was pretty far under my minimum calorie intake so I forced myself to eat a coconut butter, chocolate, and sunflower seed butter sandwich, which was hard but it did help that I could use 1 tbsp of each of the butters instead of using lots of just one of them.

And I've found it hard to meet my protein requirements without getting way too full, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

finally, I'm a vegetarian (been vegetarian since I was 5 so it's not ED related), so I don't eat meat or fish.

Thank you !

And thanks to everyone who has come onto sites like this and calorie count to talk about recovery and recovery meal plans, your bravery has really motivated me to recover and helped me feel less alone.
    this is an individual thing. sometimes people add more of their safe foods. other people will begin to *finally* eat some of their binge or bad foods. others simply cannot eat those.
    the beauty of a meal plan is you can select from all the food groups.
    meal planning did not work for me because I treated it like a game to win to be thinner, or, I treated it as a means for "failure."
    what did work for me was a (still restrictive) diet eaten around my friends. the social food influence actually worked for me instead of driving me in the other direction. I used to eat alone and they wouldn't tolerate it when I brought my little veggie bowl over. it wasn't acceptable. I became very accepted, I felt safe, I watched them enjoying food, and I tasted the food they had.
    I was socially brave.
    not everyone is the same, not everyone can do what I did. part of my Ed was the cycle of isolation and abnormal thinking. so I surrounded myself with healthy people who were therapeutic for me in the end.
    maybe bein here and seeing some of our meal plans can do the same for you.
    <3 keep up the long tough but good work!
  • Annie4235
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and am starting the recovery process. I feel the same way! Its so hard to know what "normal" is but I find that I do best when I follow the models of people around me. The danger here is that I begin to compete with them or treat their normal eating patterns as a challenge that I should try to beat.

Right now I have a friend with me who is serving as a great model for WHEN to eat. I still am struggling to actually put appropriate foods into my body at the right time, but I'm hoping that this can get me by until I can enroll in treatment in a month. If you want to add me I'm always willing to chat, cuz I need the support too.

I hope you are finding the support you need somewhere:)
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try slicing the avocados onto a bed of lettuce with some other vegetables. Avocados are high in calorie, and although other veggies are low, they are still good for you. Try eating more bananas, they have at least 90 to 100 calories depending on the length. Also, maybe try various types of nuts, like almonds and cashews.

Are you a vegetarian or a lacto-ovo vegetarian (I googled it to check) in which you eat eggs? if you do eat eggs try making an egg however you prefer it cooked, and putting it over the avocado. If not, then I apologize.

I wish you the very best on your rode to recovery.
  • keem88
    Options
    just checking in to see how you are doing?
  • MsAudreyC94
    MsAudreyC94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am currently recovering from restrictive diet eating disorder as well. I have a hard time reaching my calories as well because I eat small but a few things that help me are: 1. drinking milk (I don't know how being a vegetarian works so I'm not sure if you are able to do this one, but if you are able to I would stick to 1% and try to get 3glasses in a day, 300cal right there and it is good for your bones!), 2. Hummus is a good protein option and you can eat it with veggies, chips, unsalted pretzels, salads...the list is limitless! 3. I try to do a little bit of peanut butter on crackers/carrots/celery at least once a day as my snack which helps me cure my sweet tooth. I really like sweet potatoes as well, if you cut them up, roll them in olive oil and bake them you can have really healthy fries! Nuts are also protein and calorie packed. Almonds are my favorite and easy to mix with oatmeal/salads/etc. I hope this helps you a little bit!! Keep your fingers crossed for me as well! Don't give up :)
  • canorth40
    Options
    Hi
    Do you eat eggs? Whip up an omlet with whatever veggies you like.
    Also - chocolate bars - they can really put on the weight! I know they are mostly sweet but..... the coconut ones are not bad.
    How about pasta? With that creamy sauce, instead of the spaghetti sauce. It is high fat, but that is what you need perhaps?
    Potatoes - make scalloped - ask if you want an easy recipe.
    Drink whole milk if you can or 2%.
    Just a few ideas.
    I wish you the best!
    hugs,
  • raselrony
    Options
    Just try to eat what you like to eat, something delicious and healthy.
  • Lakegrl54
    Options
    Oh dear, where do I start? It sounds like you need inpatient help, it is for your health and life. You cannot do it alone, please seek help!! You need a team: ED dr, therapist and nutritionist.
    Stop exercising please
    Throw out your scale
    Get your team in order
    You need a professional meal plan made between both you and your nutritionist, so You are comfortable with the choices, and you don't become overwhelmed with thinking about what to eat
    Your nutritionist will be able to help you choose the right foods, no matter what advice a layperson gives you on what you should eat, you need professional help. This is what they specialize in and they know what to do to help you get your health back, safely!
    Good luck, take care of yourself by embracing professional help
    This website may feed into your ED, as micromanaging calories/fats/sugars/ etc. is what your nutritionist will steer you away from
    I have a close friend who has battled this, and I supported her throughout her path towards recovery, next to her team, I was her closest support system
    :smile: