Ankle pain when starting running

Options
I have just started to do exercise after a good few years of none, I thought I would take it slowly and did 5mph jogging on the treadmill. After about 10 minutes, both my ankles started hurting, especially the right. I carried on for half an hour and it kept getting worse and when I got off I noticed my right ankle was at a weird angle, buckling inwards. It was fine the next day for walking but I'm worried about getting back on the treadmill now. Why would this happen?

Replies

• BrittyBby10
    BrittyBby10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They are just weak, the more you walk/run the stronger they will get. I had the same problem at first.
  • BrittyBby10
    BrittyBby10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you are worried about getting an injury while trying to strengthen them you can by ankle support sleeves and removable casts.
  • sxcsnail
    Options
    They are just weak, the more you walk/run the stronger they will get. I had the same problem at first.

Thanks, I hope that's what it is... and that they don't take too long to strengthen.

The support casts sound like a good idea too! :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wearing the proper shoes that'll support you and that are made to run are a great way to relieve ankle and knee pain. also, adding some incline to the treadmill is good too.

however, there is no substitute to taking the run outdoors.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes at a running store? If you over pronate you will get sore ankles. I would start there.
  • sxcsnail
    Options
    Apollo, I am too scared of running outdoors until I am slightly fit, I'm too nervous about being spotted! But the incline is something I will try. :smile:

Texas, I haven't been fitted for proper shoes, and I'm on bit of a low budget. Are there insoles or particular types of shoes which are better?
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wearing the proper shoes that'll support you and that are made to run are a great way to relieve ankle and knee pain. also, adding some incline to the treadmill is good too.

however, there is no substitute to taking the run outdoors.

My ankles are very weak and hurt too when I run. I have found that when I am on the treadmill, putting the incline at 2.0 helps tremendously. While running, it doesn't feel like I'm running up a hill, but it seems to give my ankles a break.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Apollo, I am too scared of running outdoors until I am slightly fit, I'm too nervous about being spotted! But the incline is something I will try. :smile:

Texas, I haven't been fitted for proper shoes, and I'm on bit of a low budget. Are there insoles or particular types of shoes which are better?

well, you can't be brave unless you are scared. trust me, most people are too concerned with their own lives to pay attention to you. just put some music on, and disappear into your run.

as far as a shoe fitting goes, it's usually on the house. just call up your local running store. if they don't do fittings there, they'll know who does. if no store nearby does fittings, then just go to a store and tell them you're on a budget and you need good running sneakers.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have just started to do exercise after a good few years of none, I thought I would take it slowly and did 5mph jogging on the treadmill. After about 10 minutes, both my ankles started hurting, especially the right. I carried on for half an hour and it kept getting worse and when I got off I noticed my right ankle was at a weird angle, buckling inwards.

Running for 30 minutes your first time out is not "take it slow".

Go find Couch to 5k or Learn to 5k and build up slowly. You'll be running like a champ in no time - but you have to take it slow, in measured steps, or you run the very real risk of blowing up a joint or two.
  • brunotolosa
    Options
    You need to take it slow.. You shouldn't push it too hard in the very early days of your training.

It's not only about your feet/ankles not being used to take the pounding of running after some years, you also need to pay attention to your running form, stride and posture. These things you learn with time, trial and error.

Take it easy and increase the intensity gradually. Ensure you warm up before running and stretch afterwards. (not the other way round as some people say)

Welcome to our global running community!