Shower after workout?

Options
My mom always reminds me not to take a shower after workouts. That I should need to take a rest for an a hour at least, but I really want to hit the shower already. So, is it okay to really take a shower after workout or not?

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww... no. I take a shower as soon as I'm done. If not I get a rash from letting the sweat just hang out all over my body, not cool.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What's her reason? I've never had any trouble with getting in the shower immediately after working out.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I like to take a hot shower (going to colder at the end) to help my muscles. I get more tendon or pain issues (that I get already from exercise) if I don't do it after working out. I don't know how that holds true for normal folks, but I figure it might be the same for some.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the reasoning as well??

Showering or not it is important to remove sweaty or damp clothing pretty quickly after completing a workout!
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I have my protein shake first and it gives me a few minutes for my heart rate to lower and stop sweating. I don't know why you need to wait an hour i don't think it's good to wait too long cause you can get ringworm and **** on your skin from the sweat
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You do need to wait *at least* until you've "cooled down" (i.e. stopped generating more sweat), or else the shower is kinda useless. Some people do take longer than others to stop generating heat. Of course, if you have a proper cool-down routine after your primary workout, then it starts the process of cooling down, obviously.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I suspect your mom was fed some crazy information from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You can shower whenever you want, but if you've just finished intense cardio, its probably a good idea to let your body temp cool down a little bit at least.

edited to add..I've been working out in the mornings before work for a long, long time, and have never waited to shower, (never have that kind of time to waste).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I always wait until I've stopped sweating first. How ever long that might take.

If I get into the shower/bath still sweating from training, I'll come out still sweating (and still be sweating for ages afterwards). SO that's my reason for waiting a bit.

Anyway, a bit of honestly-earned dry sweat on your skin for a little while won't kill you....
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've just read about a basketball player who died after an intense session and having a shower
    immediately after. Experts suggests a cool down session of at least 20 minutes per session of any types of workouts. Plus, you don’t need to shower into a very hot nor icy cold water. Either way would dilate your blood vessels, which will make you prone to sudden stroke and heart attack. So there is some truth in what your mother said. Personally, by the time I walk home and log my
    exercises for the day, 20 mins have gone by anyway.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My mom always reminds me not to take a shower after workouts. That I should need to take a rest for an a hour at least, but I really want to hit the shower already. So, is it okay to really take a shower after workout or not?

Just have your shower, why the hell would you have to wait??
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I always shower after a workout, I don't understand why you wouldn't.
    I don't know why you need to wait an hour i don't think it's good to wait too long cause you can get ringworm and **** on your skin from the sweat
    What?
  • pandamars
    pandamars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For those who are asking what's her reason, she says that the body is tired and it's kind of bad to take a shower because you might go numb or something. She says I just might freeze right then and there because my body can't take the sudden shower.(I think it's an old belief from way back)
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My parents also discourage any sort of bathing (or even hand-washing) while feeling tired. They worry about "pasma" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasma), which is a Filipino folk illness. The explanation is that when you're tired, your muscles are "hot," and will therefore react badly to the "cold" (any wetness). There are also extra explanations such as "mixing" the temperatures will constrict (or dilate?) the blood vessels (or something?)...

I used to argue with them, citing that there are no studies regarding this phenomenon, but I have since given up. My parents are educated people (my mom is a registered nurse, even), but cultural beliefs can be really powerful, especially if you've been raised with them. I'd liken it to something like Korean fan death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death), if you've heard of that.

Anyway, I like to rest for a few minutes after workouts in any case. Not because I think I'll get sick if I shower right away, but I find it nice to relax after getting so tired.

(Edited the links.)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    For those who are asking what's her reason, she says that the body is tired and it's kind of bad to take a shower because you might go numb or something. She says I just might freeze right then and there because my body can't take the sudden shower.(I think it's an old belief from way back)

It's an old wives tale, just take your shower :)
  • pandamars
    pandamars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what my mom refers to. Pasma :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've just read about a basketball player who died after an intense session and having a shower
    immediately after. Experts suggests a cool down session of at least 20 minutes per session of any types of workouts. Plus, you don’t need to shower into a very hot nor icy cold water. Either way would dilate your blood vessels, which will make you prone to sudden stroke and heart attack. So there is some truth in what your mother said. Personally, by the time I walk home and log my
    exercises for the day, 20 mins have gone by anyway.

Actually an ice bath has been proven to help muscles recover more than just a warm shower.
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you do not shower after working out you will breakout more. Ewwwwwwwww.

Sorry but your mum is an idiot. No offense. Damn, what makes her think you have to wait an hour?

It's a cultural idea of illness that's been prevalent for generations. Believing it makes someone wrong, but not necessarily an "idiot." I think that most people would have a difficult time breaking out of old beliefs that they've had since childhood. Perhaps even you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Sorry but your mum is an idiot. No offense. Damn, what makes her think you have to wait an hour?

It's a cultural idea of illness that's been prevalent for generations. Believing it makes someone wrong, but not necessarily an "idiot." I think that most people would have a difficult time breaking out of old beliefs that they've had since childhood. Perhaps even you.

I think the only thing I was ever 'told' that was a belief was if you got pregnant outside marriage you HAD to get married...no excuses. I never believed that one at all. I still thought the people telling me that were idiots.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Calling someone's mum an "idiot" really isn't appropriate anywhere ...
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I wait a little while, until I've cooled down a bit and stopped sweating. Sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes it's 30, just depends.
    I don't see problem with jumping straight in the shower though.