regaining some weight!

Options
so, I had lost about 45 pounds between December 2010 and August 2012. I went from a size 13 to a size 4, and went from 191 pounds to about 143. I'm 5'9''. I was super proud of myself. I don't know what went wrong. A year and a bit down the line, and I'm now 165 pounds. I feel like an absolute failure. I feel like I did back at the beginning, and I feel like I've completely lost control. Any advice?

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you need to remember that this isn't a short-term thing; it's having a healthy, maintainable lifestyle for the rest of your life. Jump back on MFP, track what you're eating, and once you do reach your goal again then you need to make a long-term plan around what your eating habits will be.

Not much advice that people can give really, other than to remember this isn't just about losing a few lbs then going back to normal. You need to be making the right choices forever!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you did that got you from 143 to 165. Be BRUTALLY honest.

Then decide if you want to lose all that fat again, then COMMIT to doing so. Keep in mind the pitfalls that led you to blow up again, and don't do them. Learn from your mistake.
  • Jaytaygirl
    Options
    If i stop counting calories at goal weight will i keep it off? How do i stop being so worried over calori
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    By not being worried about calories... It's that simple... Don't complicate the thought process further... It is... Mind... Over.... Matter.
    You have THE power to decide... As the lunar eclipse has dost shalt haseth told me.... On... Friday.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    so, I had lost about 45 pounds between December 2010 and August 2012. I went from a size 13 to a size 4, and went from 191 pounds to about 143. I'm 5'9''. I was super proud of myself. I don't know what went wrong. A year and a bit down the line, and I'm now 165 pounds. I feel like an absolute failure. I feel like I did back at the beginning, and I feel like I've completely lost control. Any advice?

This is exactly where I was when I decided to use MFP to log food and exercise and get back on track after gaining back 33 pounds of the 70 I had originally lost. I felt like a failure because I should have never gained that weight back because I'd knew the proper tools for losing and maintaining weight: eating within a certain calorie limit and logging all food and exercise calories to make sure I stayed on track. I have lost 26 pounds and I am now 7 pounds away from my goal. If I can do it, anybody can.

You are not a failure at all. It just sounds to me like you lost your way for a little while, but now you are getting back on track. Right now-this moment, this breath-is what's important.

Just start logging and concentrate on making good choices. You can do it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    By not being worried about calories... It's that simple... Don't complicate the thought process further... It is... Mind... Over.... Matter.
    You have THE power to decide... As the lunar eclipse has dost shalt haseth told me.... On... Friday.

I'm not sure what you mean about not being worried about calories. After all, the only requirement for weight loss is to eat at a calorie deficit. Calorie counting, both for food and exercise (if you chose to exercise) is essential to achieving your weight loss goals.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, as in other aspects of life, crap happens. I know all too well how quickly 10, 20 or 30+ lbs can sneak up, especially if you haven't been consistent in monitoring your weight and slacking off in regards to keeping a handle on how much you're eating. Seeing as how you've been successful at losing weight in the past, it sounds like you know what to do to lose the weight, the key will be adhering to those healthy habits once you've lost the weight that you want to.

There's no better to get back into the saddle than now!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lost weight and maintained for over 6 months. Then I stopped using MFP and now find myself 10 lbs up. I am back on track, weighing myself and logging everyday. I know I can do this as I want to fit back into all the clothes that now don't fit. I need to really think about why I just stopped caring and ate myself into this new weight. My original motivation to lose was listening to girlfriends who would go on one month cleaned or diet products and lose only to gain it all back. I decided not to say anything but to do the work to get the lbs off. Now I must re-commit to the motivation I had in the beginning.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean about not being worried about calories. After all, the only requirement for weight loss is to eat at a calorie deficit. Calorie counting, both for food and exercise (if you chose to exercise) is essential to achieving your weight loss goals.

You can count without stressing out every time you go over. I count my calories, but I don't worry about them. I have to eat to survive and to enjoy my life. A day over my limit every now and again won't hurt. 5 or 6 in a row over requires an adjustment.
  • hazelohoheight
    hazelohoheight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A similar thing is happening to me. Something happened to the motivation and momentum that lasted for a year! I was so sure that I would never go back to my old habits.....Now is the hard part, trying to re-invent that momentum and motivation....I'm with you. Let's see if we can help each other. One thing I am going to try is daily weigh-ins. I have always done it weekly, but right now that is too much time to allow to go by. I am also going to try to eat homemade soup for dinner every day...full of nutrients and not many calories. Also, let's not forget our logging......every day. Maybe we just need a jumpstart and let's see if this will do it. This is Sunday and I plan to make soups for the week and freeze them in individual servings. I will do shakes for breakfasts and salads for lunches. This time of year is the hardest!