healthy pizza

Options
I recently talked to my new friends and we love pizza. I was wondering what good healthy recipes do you use for delicious pizza

Replies

• julieannezen
    julieannezen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am loving this topic! I have heard English muffin pizza. I am also thinking perhaps the Arnold thin bagels (with high fiber) pizza bagels? I am excited to hear what others say!!!!!! Good post.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza pretty often, and I believe that a pizza like this is both healthy and delicious:

Whole wheat crust
    No cheese
    Red onion, peppers, pineapple, jalepeno and other veggies to suit

With a good pizza sauce and quality veggies, it is very flavorful. I always choose whole grains if I have a choice, I believe that the regular pizza crust is junk food.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your weekly calorie goals, just eat which ever pizza you want.

Health wise, I guess more veggies is the obvious answer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever pizza I want, which is thick crust... not cauliflower, english muffins, or wafer thin. Most of my dinners are around 1000 calories anyway, so it's not any kind of splurge to eat half a pie. My macros might be a little off on pizza day, since I'll end up a little lower in protein than usual, but it typically balances out during the course of the week.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    All the pizzas I eat are healthy! I make them fit into my calorie goal through portion control.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What's inherently unhealthy about pizza? If I have half a pizza (admittedly, we usually get the supermarket ones, not the delivery ones, which tend to be higher in cals) it's usually in the region of 500 calories, plenty of room for a big salad with it. Not the best macros, but I'd have plenty of calories left over for some greek yogurt or something to add some protein.

English muffins are great (personally I prefer them with butter and marmalade) but how are they any different, nutritionally, from pizza dough? I've made them. They're made from the same ingredients.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly I go for a slice (or at most two) of "real" pizza at a NY-style pizza place as the only way to really address my pizza cravings. They fit fine into a calorie budget.

But at home I'll do a pizza bagel. I tend to use a real bagel (generally from Einstein/Noah as this is the most authentic thing you can get almost anywhere), whatever sauce I can find in the supermarket, and then sprinkle a modest amount of mozzarella on it. I can't make up my mind on the reduced-fat or regular cheese but generally prefer the full-fat variety for its melting characteristics. I just avoid using too much. Unless you go crazy on the cheese you are looking at something around 400 calories. If you want to make it healthier just sprinkle on some veggies.

I've also done this with English Muffins, but I prefer the texture of the bagel.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I guess it's all in a good combination of base and toppings.

A base with less calories can be either a low call tortilla either a homemade thin crust (just water, flour and a bit of salt). But the healthiest choice would be a cauliflower crust (you can find tons of recipies on the internet for cauliflower pizza).

Then you put tomato paste/sauce, veggies, maybe some chicken breast or shrimps or tuna, and optional your favorite cheese, in small amounts.

I love making tortilla pizza. I use tortillas that range from 120-130 calories. I don't do lots of veggies. Maybe some mushrooms, peppers and onions. I use ketchup as a base. I add chicken breast or even salami's sometimes (20 g of salami or bacon won't hurt anyone). I also add a small amount of cheese, maybe another 20 g, shredder to appear more and most certainly a cheese type that it's full of flavor. If I select carefully the quantities, I can make a pizza for about 500 calories. It isn't big, the ingredients aren't in generous amounts. But it tastes like pizza and it fits in the calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    All pizza contributes to ones micro and macro goals so I'm not sure what an unhealthy pizza is, unless a person has deemed certain foods or ingredients the debil.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own?
    I know pizza is usually a "quick" meal, but I personally love making it from scratch. You control exactly what goes in and on it. Plus it's fresh!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that i can have *a* slice of pizza and that's enough for me, so every now and then i'll get a slice (thin crust, greasy, NY style pizza) and round out the meal with a big salad.

At home , i take a whole wheat pita, spread with tomato paste, sprinkle herbs and spices, add slices of red onion, mushroom, tomato, add some mozz and a little bit of some kind of good melting cheese, sometimes i'll do feta cheese as well, and toast it till it's nice and melty/crispy.

Or tortilla with all the above.
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    I use a standard homemade crust (pillsbury or similar) because I also have to feed my husband and he's picky :P
    If I don't want the extra sodium in traditional pizza sauce, just using fresh diced tomatoes (seasoned, of course) works just as well especially if you pan-sear them a little first to coax the water out.
    For toppings I like fresh mushrooms (a whole 8-oz container of Baby Bellas is what, 45 calories?), sprouts, sometimes artichokes, wilted baby spinach, or olives if my count will allow it.
    For cheese, mozzarella's not THAT bad for you, just measure it out instead of covering the whole pizza. If I want something different I use feta instead. It doesn't melt all gooey like high-fat cheeses but I love the flavor (a little sharper to offset the veggies).

My dinners usually run about 700-800 calories so I can have most of the whole pizza if I really want to.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I guess it's all in a good combination of base and toppings.

A base with less calories can be either a low call tortilla either a homemade thin crust (just water, flour and a bit of salt). But the healthiest choice would be a cauliflower crust (you can find tons of recipies on the internet for cauliflower pizza).

Then you put tomato paste/sauce, veggies, maybe some chicken breast or shrimps or tuna, and optional your favorite cheese, in small amounts.

I love making tortilla pizza. I use tortillas that range from 120-130 calories. I don't do lots of veggies. Maybe some mushrooms, peppers and onions. I use ketchup as a base. I add chicken breast or even salami's sometimes (20 g of salami or bacon won't hurt anyone). I also add a small amount of cheese, maybe another 20 g, shredder to appear more and most certainly a cheese type that it's full of flavor. If I select carefully the quantities, I can make a pizza for about 500 calories. It isn't big, the ingredients aren't in generous amounts. But it tastes like pizza and it fits in the calories.

We love the tortilla pizzas in the summer. We make them on the grill. They work for a large group of people too, just have all the ingredients on the table and everyone makes their own. They are always a hit and they are very yummy!

I sometimes make them in a toaster oven as well and they turn out ok but best on the grill.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    You know your not in Italy when.........................:smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    All pizza contributes to ones micro and macro goals so I'm not sure what an unhealthy pizza is, unless a person has deemed certain foods or ingredients the debil.

This, I love pizza and will just work my macros around it to fit it in if I want one. :bigsmile:
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    All the pizzas I eat are healthy! I make them fit into my calorie goal through portion control.

^^^This... and to be more specific... Dominos, Donatos, Little Caesars, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, etc, etc... all pretty healthy IIFYM. As far as I am aware none of these places add poison to their food.
  • TrickGirl95
    Options
    Why not just eat the real deal and fit it into your calorie allowance?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    First I think you should explain what it is that is unhealthy about regular pizza.

If you can figure that out then you know what to change in your own pizza.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe I used recently due to I just LOVE pizza and I was trying to cut out some calories and I have to say it was pretty good!

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 (6 inch) flour tortillas (or whole wheat tortillas)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tomato, sliced
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
    Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and green pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
    Place tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet. Top with onion mixture, oregano, garlic powder, tomato, and mozzarella cheese.
    Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut each pizza into four wedges.