Trying to pick a tablet... Help!

Options
crunchybubblez
crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
All of our computers are done.
So, I'm going to buy a laptop for the kids(unschoolers),
and I want a tablet for myself.
I would be using it for MFP, using Pinterest, keeping a catalogue of recipes,
open and view documents, and using it as a family day planner. I guess I'm expecting it to be a more portable laptop.
Unfortunately my crappy windows phone does not get the job done.

I was thinking of replacing my phone with the galaxy note, but it's a bit too small.
Then I was leaning towards an iPad, because of some cool educational apps that are only available through
the apple store, but it seems too big...
At this point I'm lost.
I know there's other choices...
The ipad mini coming out soon is supposed to be bigger right?

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it. Get an iPad mini
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I just got the new Kindle Fire HDX 7" I have an iphone so the operating system takes a little bit to figure out - it is not quite like Apple. I would have liked ah ipad but for the price difference I just couldn't justify it. Plus a lot of the health/food people I follow on Facebook post links to free kindle books.

I am happy with it. It works well for Pinterest, MFP and storing documents.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    We have a 1st Gen iPad and a new iPad mini and whilst I am old school and love the the bulk of the 1st Gen.....the iPad mini is a cheeky little number with some great attributes.

And we all know that once you go Mac, you never go back!
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    iPad mini - great size. (easy to use)
    Samsung Galaxy 8" - (if you are good at navigating due to Android system but iPad is easier.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would go with whichever operating system is on your phone, so you can cut the expense of app buying (if you buy an app for your phone, it is already paid for when you download to your tablet and vice versa). If they are different operating systems, you will pay twice.

If you go Android, go Nexus (per reviewers and mostly for upgradeability of the OS). If you go iPad, just choose the size you like best.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my Nexus 7!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I love my Nexus 7 as well. I can do pretty much all of my work related tasks on it. I do love Samsung's phones so I imagine the Galaxy Tabs would be great as well. But I am an Android fan. If you prefer Apple then get an iPad.
  • 2nsmom
    2nsmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    love my Asus Transformer...had it for 2 years
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab is really good.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'd get a regular size ipad. Mini is too small. And switch your phone to iPhone too so your apps sync. My son has been playing on my ipad since he was two. Bought him a kiddie one (toys r us brand) and he hates it.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are but this is a good one: http://www.ebuyer.com/521621-hisense-sero-7-pro-32gb-tablet-m470bse
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Totally :heart: my Kindle Fire HD...:bigsmile:
  • iamafoodaholic
    iamafoodaholic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would go with whichever operating system is on your phone, so you can cut the expense of app buying (if you buy an app for your phone, it is already paid for when you download to your tablet and vice versa). If they are different operating systems, you will pay twice.

I agree with the above statement, not only about the apps, also because you will already be familiar with the operating system. I have a Motorola Xoom and love it.