Finding a Protein Shake NO MILK/NO WHEY/NO SOY

I've heard all the great benefits of protein shakes but I cannot find one that I can even consume. I'm lactose intolerant which means I can't have milk products or whey products. Because essentially whey is lactose! Another sad fact is that I'm allergic to soy! Is there any hope for me finding a protein shake I can digest?!?

Replies

• AliceJeanie
    AliceJeanie Posts: 419 Member
    I am assuming you are making these shakes at home.

In terms of a protein powder for the shakes, I would recommend rice or hemp protein powders.

The only other ingredient I can think of that would be a problem would be milk. You could try almond milk or coconut milk, which I believe do not have lactose.

Good Luck.
  • I've heard all the great benefits of protein shakes but I cannot find one that I can even consume. I'm lactose intolerant which means I can't have milk products or whey products. Because essentially whey is lactose! Another sad fact is that I'm allergic to soy! Is there any hope for me finding a protein shake I can digest?!?
  • I am assuming you are making these shakes at home.

In terms of a protein powder for the shakes, I would recommend rice or hemp protein powders.

The only other ingredient I can think of that would be a problem would be milk. You could try almond milk or coconut milk, which I believe do not have lactose.

Good Luck.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Why not just eat a steak?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    stick a chicken breast in the blender
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Steak in a blender?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    You could try hemp or pea protein powders,.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    ^ They're not far off in terms of steak in the blender. I'm severely lactose intolerant, so can't handle whey concentrates, haven't been able to handle the isolates as well, casien is out for the same reason. Not allergic, but don't like the soy ones. Don't like any of the plant based ones actually.

I use beef protein isolate. Not bad, and definitely helps keep my protein up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    cook the steak first though, okay?
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Whey protein isolate (WPI) is very low in lactose (less than a tenth of a gram per tablespoon) so may not even affect you. Even the whey concentrates are very low in lactose.

Apart from the other good suggestions above, you could also try pea protein.

There are many protein sources without having to supplement at all if you're prepared to change what you eat.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Rice and pea protein powder. Almond milk.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Vega Sport is dairy and soy free. You mix it with water.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Also, fish and spinach, as a meal, has a lot of protein. Feel free to creep my food logs for ideas. It's redundant, but high in proteins.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Vega Sport.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    look at sunwarrior.com I know the owners and their standards are quite high.
  • I've seen a hemp protein powder out there, I don't know the name but it might work for you. Google Hemp Protein Powder
  • kahartigan0612
    kahartigan0612 Posts: 2 Member
    Arbonne sells a really tasty chocolate protein shake that is all vegan proteins.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Question, what "great benefits" are you talking about? Protein powder is exactly what it sounds like, protein in powder form. Nothing magical or special about it. It's ONLY benefit is it allows you to reach your protein goal if you can't reach it with food alone. Otherwise, there's nothing magical about it, and there's no need to consume it.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Maybe even make some smoothies with peanut butter?