1st Sprint Triathalon Advice Please

Options
So I verbally committed myself to doing a sprint triathalon next summer... and even in this day and age where many don't, I definitely stick to my word.

The most I have done is a 5k and I don't even know where to start training! I have talked to a couple women about it but would always like to hear from others and get insight. My biggest thing is getting through this injury free as I am very accident prone and injur easily. Plus, I am just getting back into working out regularly after a hip injury and now a right shoulder issue. I refuse to let my ailments stop me from being active, especially since I am only 25 years old. I see a chiropractor regularly and it helps immensely so I am trying not to focus on this aspect too much.

Right now, my normal workout plan consists for a variety of cardio 3-4 days a week (zumba, running (12 minutes mile),rollerblading, elliptical, stationary bike, walking and with winter coming in Minnesota I will likely start doing some ice skating and possibly snowboarding).
Then I weight train 3 days a week.

My biggest questions are...

Where do I start with training?
What kinds of times should I be working towards?
And any other advice anyone is willing to give!

Thanks!
Aly

Replies

• jebraden
    Options
    I do sprint triathlons with my husband. The hardest part for me to adjust to was the swimming even though i thought i was a good swimmer. I would try to run 2 days a week, swim 1 day, and bike 1 day. It works well for me. The biggest thing is really increasing your cardio! Good luck!

What are the distances for this sprint?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's your first triathlon - don't worry about the times. If you're looking for a training routine, there are lots available, just pick one based on how much time you have to devote to this.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/16&20_week_sprint_programs_overview.htm

http://www.triathloncoach.ca/free_training_plans.htm
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one next summer as well. Looking forward to seeing the advice.

The advice I have been given so far is not to worry about times - just focus on being able to complete the distance. So start building up - slowly - to be able to complete the full distance in all three disciplines.

Once you can do that you should try some brick sessions - this is doing two disciplines back to back in the order of the race ie swim followed by bike. Bike followed by run (apparently the hardest).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

I got some good advice and plans from here :flowerforyou:
  • crash_aly
    Options
    The distances vary a little (there are three different ones I am trying to pick which to do)...
    One is .33 mile swim, 15 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run
    Two is .5 mile swim, 20 mile bike, and 3 mile run
    Three is .25 swim, 11 mile bike, 3.1 mile run

The last one is tempting because of the shorter distances but it's a long drive from where I live. The other two are much closer and the second I am even familiar with the lake as well as have been on the run trail many times.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm naturally pretty competitive so it's hard to not think of times but I will work on putting that part out of my head and just focus on training. I think come spring I will try the block training!

One person did say that I should start swimming outside as soon as possible because lake swimming is so much different than pool swimming.

Should I be looking for any particular gear? I am pretty basic when it comes to working out in general and don't like to carry or strap a lot of extra stuff onto me (I usually just end up getting annoyed with it).
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have done 6 sprints and I had to learn to swim before my first. I swim 2X a week run3x and bike 2X. As it gets closer to your first Tri you will want to put a few bricks together, that is bike to run transitions. The first time I got off the bike and ran I felt like I had big lumps in my shoes and my legs weren't moving.
    I found out that was normal feeling so race day I didn't worry about the feeling.
    The Tri's i do are 750M swim 20K bike 5 K run. Be sure to get in a few open water swims in your wet suit if wearing one before race day. Open water swimming is really different to pool swimming, my DIL was a competitive swimmer and found the lake swim freaky.
    Don't worry about times just finish.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I'm trying to resist buying loads of stuff in case I hate it. I think you need basically

swim: goggle, suit, swim cap (to practice in as I think they are mandatory at tri's). You may need a wetsuit for the lake swim - check the race.
    Bike: Bike, helmet, shoes
    Run: clothes, shoes.

As long as it's a fun tri don't worry to much about tri suits etc.

I'm doing mine on a mountain bike - not great for speed but I can't afford to buy a road bike only to discover I hate tris!

I think that's true about the lake swimming - but depending on where you are that might be as soon as it's warm enough. You couldn't pay me to go in a lake at this time of year. :noway:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would just get comfortable with the swim. In a sprint, the other stuff is easy. You don't need special gear, and you'll probably get a swim cap in your bag too. I would rehearse your transitions to get familiar with what you will need, and try a bike/run brick just to see how it feels. Bricks are nice every now and then, but bike is bike and run is run. Best to train isolated and efficiently at each element.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    There are many that do their first Tri on a mountain bike so don't worry about a road bike, you can do it easily without special bike shoes just good runners and ride in them.
    Depending on the time of the year and race will determine if you need a wet suit, we always wear them but that is because our water is cold.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    So much great advice!

How long before the race should I start doing bricks? Living in Minnesota the weather is not really predictable, but generally around April/May it starts getting warm enough outside to regularly workout there instead of in the gym (although last year we were still getting a significant amount of snow into April).

I am planning to do the tri in late July or early August.

When I am training for the different events, do I train for certain distances? I know when I do 5ks I sometimes would vary how far I would run, but the majority of the time I was sticking around 3 miles. Should I just keep building distance or should I start to push for speed after I reach a certain distance?

Thanks again everyone!
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    I live farther north in Canada and I did my first Sprint this year at the end of May, we only had about a month to ride outside. I went to Spin class all winter and ran outside all winter. I am lucky enough to have access to a heated outdoor pool all year long. We did get in a few lake swims before the race, man it was cold.
    I swim drills usually about 1500-1800M each swim, then Spin at least 1 hour at class and 1 hour on my trainer per week. I run 3X per week at least 5K and do go as far as 10K .
    Bricks are a great help if you are training inside just get off the spinner and onto the treadmill, it helps to get used to the feel and helps to get the muscles used to going from one to the other. If you can get a mock Tri in before hand it really helps with the head.
    If you can go for a short swim a 10K bike and a 20 minute run a week before we find it really helps our first timers.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to resist buying loads of stuff in case I hate it. I think you need basically

swim: goggle, suit, swim cap (to practice in as I think they are mandatory at tri's). You may need a wetsuit for the lake swim - check the race.
    Bike: Bike, helmet, shoes
    Run: clothes, shoes.

As long as it's a fun tri don't worry to much about tri suits etc.

I'm doing mine on a mountain bike - not great for speed but I can't afford to buy a road bike only to discover I hate tris!

I think that's true about the lake swimming - but depending on where you are that might be as soon as it's warm enough. You couldn't pay me to go in a lake at this time of year. :noway:

Yup, this is true. Many people do their first, or even more than that, on a regular bike. You can switch out the nubby tires for road tires fairly cheaply and it will help.

If you need a wetsuit and are in a major area, you can often rent them. Wetsuits are usually a bonus if they are allowed, they help with buoyancy

I did my first tri in a regular tank top with a built in bra and regular tight shorts, no padding. I had intended on throwing shorts on overtop for the run, but decided against it at the last minute. Just look for a material that dries quicker.

My number one piece of advice is - if you're race is open water - practice open water! And on race day, remember, just breathe.

Time, like others have said, isn't a concern, focus on finishing, not beating the clock.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first tri sprint. The one I'm aiming for is the first weekend in February (I live in Florida). Swimming is definitely my weakest sport, so I need to most practice in that. But I run 2-3 times per week, bike at least once, and swim once, plus I weight train twice per week. At this point I'm able to do each of the elements (the 750m swim, the 20K ride, and the 5K run), so soon I'll start working on putting them together.

I was already an avid cyclist, so I have a road bike and all of the relevant gear. And I'd already been running for a while to crosstrain, so had running shoes. Here's what I've bought in the way of gear:

1)goggles, swim cap, nose clip, and swim team swim suit (about $65 altogether)
    2)Pearl Izumi tri-suit (was on sale on Amazon.com for $40)
    3)Neosport beginner sleeveless wetsuit (was on sale on Amazon for $105)

I would feel like a super champ if I could finish the sprint in under 2 hours. I feel like to aim higher than that (speaking only for myself) would lead me to overtrain and possibly injure myself. I'm about to turn 40, and I'd much rather get faster over time and injury free.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im also doing my first triathlon next summer. the bonus for me tho is that im in australia so next summer is a year away.

i think the biggest thing is the swim. atleast with the run and the bike you can slow down or stop if you become too hard, stopping becomes a bit more difficult in the water.

make sure you can swim FURTHER than the distance advertised of the tri, as chances are you wont be swimming in a straight line.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    im also doing my first triathlon next summer. the bonus for me tho is that im in australia so next summer is a year away.

i think the biggest thing is the swim. atleast with the run and the bike you can slow down or stop if you become too hard, stopping becomes a bit more difficult in the water.

make sure you can swim FURTHER than the distance advertised of the tri, as chances are you wont be swimming in a straight line.

You may want to check the rules, but here, you can stop during the swim. You can even hold on to the safety people on paddle boards, you are just not allowed to move forward while holding on to them.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i didnt say it couldnt be done, just that it is more difficult, esp if the depth of the water is taller than you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i didnt say it couldnt be done, just that it is more difficult, esp if the depth of the water is taller than you.

I wasn't really arguing your point., I don't know the rules elsewhere, I just wanted to point out that these may be possibilities. Your post just jogged my memory.

Since I have been one of the last swimmers, I often have those people on paddle boards near me. I haven't actually used it but its a "nice to know" thing, in case you have a bad swim like I have before (still finished).
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    The swim is usually the hardest part if you get tired roll over and do the backstroke for a bit. I train for at least 1500M swim when the race is only 750M but most important is the open water swim.
    You can do it I am 61 learned to swim when I was 57, 6 Tri's done 6 first place in age.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    The swim is usually the hardest part if you get tired roll over and do the backstroke for a bit. I train for at least 1500M swim when the race is only 750M but most important is the open water swim.
    You can do it I am 61 learned to swim when I was 57, 6 Tri's done 6 first place in age.

I thought that rolling on to your back was a sign that you were in distress and needed help? :ohwell:
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    Nope rolling over is not a sign of problems I have seen swimmers do the entire swim on their backs. In any Tri I have done they ask us to wave our hand up in the air if you need help or a rest boat. My friend that has done 2 Ironman was in a swim a couple years ago and all of a sudden had a panic attack. She waved for the boat and just hung on for a couple of minutes to gather herself and was able to continue. That is why open water swims are so important . I was in a race last year and spoke to a lady at the start line that told me she was ready trained lots but had only swam in the pool. I saw her after and she said she only got about 100M and turned back. The black hole scared her, it happens to really good swimmers but if you get out there and get used to it, it helps.
    Stay to the back and to the side so you don't get caught in the pit that also can be scary for first timers.
    Most important relax and have fun.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    Growing up in Minnesota most of my swimming has been done in lakes but I think I will be hitting open water as soon as possible anyway! I think the swim will be my most difficult sport due to my shoulder issues.

Rolling over and doing the back stroke would have been my first idea so I am glad to know that isn't a sign of distress! I think I will train for a longer swim than what the race calls for.

How do all the transition areas work?