weights for newbies?

iamstronger247
iamstronger247 Posts: 47
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am going to be buying myself some weights in a couple days. what do you recommended for newbies? [[not like big weight machines or anything like that] just simple weights i can use at home during my workouts?

Replies

• lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    When I first started with hand-held dumb bells, I bought 3, 5, and 10 pound weights. I gradually increased the weights after that. I hope that helps you a bit. Welcome to MFP and good luck on your lifestyle journey.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    I love my 8 pounds weights and get a bar too if you can
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    circuit training. Jillian Michaels or Jackie Warner have some great DVDS that would be great for toning not building
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    I'd really invest in something like these adjustable dumbbells. It saves space if you want several weight ranges and money actually if you start buying more. If you don't plan on going to much higher than what you start with it might not be worth it but they are really nice.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10843458&findingMethod=rr
  • Thanks everyone!!! i am going to go take a look at those! i want to start off with the lower 5-10lbs weights first.. then gradually improve! i can't wait!
  • I use 3lbs. I'm going for toning not building. Plus, my Jillian video said 3lbs was good since it was a low weight/high rep video.
This discussion has been closed.