Missing a day at the gym

Options
What do you guys do if you miss a day at the gym? Usually I go 5 days a week, but today I don't think I'm going to make it. :( I have a term paper due at 11 pm and a formal meeting at 8 pm that I need to look nice for. I feel that I can't get to the gym (which closes at 9 today), and manage to turn in a personally satisfactory paper before my meeting in less than 4 hours. I have been working on this paper all day today and most of yesterday and I am very frustrated.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Going 5 days a week is pretty good. I wouldn't be all too worried about missing a day if you regularly go 5 days a week.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym (and I don't always work out 5 days a week), but if I did, I would not worry about missing one day out of 5, and focus on the paper. You're not going to suddenly get fat, or lose all your fitness progress from missing one day. It's great that you take fitness seriously, but sometimes other things will take priority.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 10 pounds.

But seriously, life happens. I love working out as much as the next guy, but you can't let it control your life.
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't let it bother me. Life happens.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's just a day. Depending on my programming I'll either roll my workouts back so that I do the scheduled workout the next day or I just skip that day altogether and do my next day's workout. In the long run it won't make much difference
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I usually make a post about it, insinuating that it's a big deal. Seems to work for me.
  • piccolocandy
    Options
    wow, there sure is a lot of hate on here.
    Clarification: I only went to the gym last week once and didn't go much the week before that. I find that I function better if I establish a schedule.

Also I use workouts as a form of stress relief and as a way to help curb my mental illness issues.

Also, honestly ... I feel like I've been doing really well to get healthy and I worry that every missed day is like one step closer to going back to old habits.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    two weeks of skipping youre regular five days needs to be addressed.

Really one day isn't going to make or break you- I work 4 jobs- well I just left one- so as of today- 3.

regardless- I'm busy. and some days it doesn't happen.

On those days I either do one of two things.... I do a quick hiit workout at home- takes me 10-12 minutes.

or I just chalk it up to a rest day and call it square - I make sure I'm on point with my calories for the day and make time the next day or two. easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have a small gym in my house so i usually exercise 7 days a week but when skip a day here and there i just eat light that day. I do my exercise in the morning and save my meals for later in the day/evening so its easy to change my meal plans.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's truly a matter of priorities. Personally, as college student, good grades > working out if I have a limited amount of time. However, preparing a healthy lunch to bring > being at class exactly on time. You just need to figure out what matters more to you and your long-term goals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't really give it a moments thought, considering i spent a few years missing days at the gym.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Actually depending on your lifting volume your body will thank you. So I wouldn't sweat it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    wow, there sure is a lot of hate on here.
    Erm... really? :huh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What you do with your time at the gym is more important than how many times you attend. A decent workout routine should only need doing 3 to 4 times per week. If your current work/school schedule doesn't easily allow you to fit in 5 sessions, just do 3 or 4 and make them count.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It happens so rarely that when I have a day where my schedule just doesn't allow it, I don't worry about it and resume the next day.

Do you spend any time watching TV? If you do, quit watching TV and work out instead, or figure out a way to do both at the same time.

If you thought the other comments were "hate," you probably think mine is too, but that is not my intention.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It is was me, I'd focus on my paper.. if you have a little break, do a 10 minute Hiit or home workout. all the little minutes spending on here writing and replying could either be used on your paper and getting it finished quicker and therefore you could do a little workout, or you could use this 5 mins as a workout like skipping for 5 mins or 1 min straight of pushups, 1 min triceps dips, 1 min crunches, 1 minute jumping jacks, 1 min plyo lunges. :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    microdeload...

2 weeks tho? CNS burnout?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you miss a day at the gym?

nothing... sometimes life gets in the way, i wouldnt worry too much as long as one missed session doesnt turn into a month of missed sessions.
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    30 day shred and a walk...you can find the 30ds on youtube (at least level one)

and why are you hating on her post it is a valid question-what workouts do you do when you cant go to the gym?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I like to go 6 days a week, but today is the fifth day in a row I've missed. If I miss seven days in a row I'm going to award myself a prize.