I can eat anything I want!

Options
Ok, I know that sounds like a very bold statement... My point is that everyone in my life seems to have 'diet' advice for me (not referring to MFP peeps). It's very well-intentioned and I appreciate the genuine desire to see me succeed (finally) at weight loss. However, not a single one of the people who are sharing their advice has a degree in nutrition, have ever lost significant amounts of weight, etc. No carbs, no sugars, don't exceed 1200 calories, Adkins, South Beach, and on and on and on...

I was reflecting on why I am feeling so good about the journey this time. What's so different for me this time when I've tried to do this hundreds of times before? I'm 2 weeks complete and don't feel like I've truly missed out on anything. This feels sustainable and I feel better than ever health-wise! I believe it all lies in the fact that this time around I'm not telling myself I can't have a specific thing anymore. No cut out, just cut down. Sounds simple yet I never thought in a million years I'd be able to do it.

I am not a person who is really great at moderation, but what I excel in is budgeting! I can be very frugal... So, I budget my calories. I want the most bang for my caloric buck most of the time. This is helping me to make better choices overall. Does that mean that I can't have ice cream ever again? Of course not. Am I choosing it today? No, not today.

Today was my weigh in for the end of 2 weeks. I am in disbelief because I set my goal (and continue to keep as my goal) to lose 1 pound per week. I didn't want to be stuck with a 1,200 calorie diet because I didn't feel that I, personally, could sustain it for an extended period of time. I have 70 pounds initially to lose and probably 100+ in the long haul. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Anyway, my weight loss for the 2 weeks is 10.4 pounds. I would also point out that this includes exercising!

**I know some folks will be concerned at the rapid weight loss and think that I will expect to lose multiple pounds a week every week going forward. That's not the case... I know that I'm going to have weeks where I plateau or maybe lose under a pound.**

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Replies

• claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congratulations,keep up your positive way of thinking and you will succeed .
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Great way to think about this! Your right the weight loss will eventually slow down though. Your on the right track. :)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It sounds like you've got everything correct. It takes years for some people to discover what you've just said, and some people never come to such a realisation.
    However, although I don't want to be too critical, having a quick glance at your diary you do seem to be largely under your calories of the few days I looked at, which may explain your massive weight loss over just two weeks.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've got everything correct. It takes years for some people to discover what you've just said, and some people never come to such a realisation.
    However, although I don't want to be too critical, having a quick glance at your diary you do seem to be largely under your calories of the few days I looked at, which may explain your massive weight loss over just two weeks.

Yes, especially yesterday... I was planning for a 'cheat meal' at the Brazilian steakhouse and my husband changed the plans. I typically eat at minimum 1,200 and stay below 1,600.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Excellent work. I have tried to tell other people about this and have gotten blank stares as if that can't be all there is to it.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    The reason so few people seem to know how to lose weight effectively is that you can't market this to make any money. There is no way to charge people just to tell them: 'just track the calories you consume and the calories you burn off and create a small calorie deficit to lose weight'.
  • kealey1318
    Options
    You're absolutely right! The diet industry is a multi-billion dollar operation. I think most of their products make me want to eat more rather than less... I decided not to follow a specific diet at all. I'm also firmer this time with telling people that while I appreciate their advice, I'm doing this my way this time! Before I tried to follow other people's plans for me... *sigh*
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am delighted by your post. I too am frugal and I never thought of it as budgeting my calories.

I always say its not a diet. It's a life style change. Forever. I have found what works for me and when I stick to it, I am successful. I do the TDEE - 20%. Though that only equals 1035 C a day (I am very tiny) I budget and I am rarely hungry.

Your weight loss will probably slow down as you go along, but never give up. Anyone who thought this post was the voice of reason, please friend me. I am here everyday.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I always say its not a diet. It's a life style change. Forever. I have found what works for me and when I stick to it, I am successful. I do the TDEE - 20%. Though that only equals 1035 C a day (I am very tiny) I budget and I am rarely hungry.

are you sure that isnt your BMR?
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, OP. I feel the same way, but I'm not good at putting it into words. I have friends who are using Atkins, or some other fad diet, and they all tell me I need to cut out all carbs, or all gluten, or all whatever. I tell them I don't buy into that this-or-that-food-is-poison stuff, and that I'm doing this without following any "diet". And it's working. My weight loss may be slower than theirs, but I don't have to worry about gaining it all back when I go "off plan"... because there is no plan to go off of! :smile:
  • niniagrn
    niniagrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%!!!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful attitude for someone with 2 weeks in! Good for you!

You got this.........

:flowerforyou:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @knittin

You ARE good at putting it into words - This is perfect! :drinker: :smile: :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for this post, OP. I feel the same way, but I'm not good at putting it into words. I have friends who are using Atkins, or some other fad diet, and they all tell me I need to cut out all carbs, or all gluten, or all whatever. I tell them I don't buy into that this-or-that-food-is-poison stuff, and that I'm doing this without following any "diet". And it's working. My weight loss may be slower than theirs, but I don't have to worry about gaining it all back when I go "off plan"... because there is no plan to go off of! :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is how I lost my 67 lbs so far. It's much less overwhelming than I thought it would be.
  • kealey1318
    Options

I agree with the other poster who said you absolutely did a great job putting it into words! I'm so glad I'm able to find like-minded people here. We can do this!!!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Yep. This is how I lost my 67 lbs so far. It's much less overwhelming than I thought it would be.

67 pounds? You are amazing!!! I can't wait until I can say the same. Congratulations!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, good luck, OP.

I had your same attitude about moderation, not giving up anything I truly wanted, calories are like dollars...spend wisely, and you know what it got me???

I got to my goal weight and size and I've stayed there.

You will too! :flowerforyou:
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Choices...that is all it is about...making choices. Do i want to spend the calories I have on this item or something else.Today I weighed 2 more pounds because I made a choice to have a slice of red velvet cake (even though I knew I had already likely exceeded my calories) because my small group was celebrating my birthday and I did not want to be rude and say "no". I know that those calories will come off over time and I am not in the least bit worried as I don't normally eat cake.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped eating whatever I want. I just changed the quantities of the high calorie items.
  • Plemmons84
    Plemmons84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I got up this morning with a resolution to do the same. Not depriving myself of anything, but managing my calories better. Using my self control!! Hopefully I will be successful this time!