The more jogging I do the worse I become at it!

Options
Hi everyone, got a bit of a problem and just after some helpful tips or advice...

I've been training to join the RAF for the last 6 months so I've been running 1.5 miles on the treadmill and also running outdoors round a local park. I've noticed a big difference in my strength (when I first started I couldn't even do 1 press up and I can do 14 now!) but my cardio fitness hasn't improved at all, if anything it's got worse!

My best time on the treadmill was 14:54 mins, it was the first attempt I ever did at it and I never managed to beat that time. I'd go to the gym 3 times a week to attempt it and never managed to improve. The same with my outdoor running - I managed 3.3 miles at a steady jog without stopping near the start of my training, and since then have barely managed to do a mile!

My friends have said it's all in your head, you've got to think positive and I do try to, but it's difficult when every time I go out I come home feeling rubbish about myself.

For some unknown reason I managed to pass all the fitness tests, which I thought would boost my confidence but it doesn't make a difference when I'm running. It doesn't matter what I think in my head, as soon as that barrier comes I mostly stop, sometimes I run past it but flag further down the road and stop. Then I get really cross with myself and that just makes it all worse!

I start basic training in 2 weeks and I'm dreading the outdoor runs (3, 4 and 5 miles). Even if I could sustain a jog for a long period of time it's ridiculously slow - I could walk faster!

Help!

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Perhaps you are running too regularly and not giving your body time to recover? I can't run or jog more than a couple of times per week.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    How far are you running during your regular running workouts ? If you are just getting to about a mile and feel completely spent, that is actually a pretty common feeling. Your mind will want to stop long before your body needs to so it might be a mental barrier that you need to push past.
    Most runners I have talked to say the first mile sucks for everyone, even the Kenyans. For me its more like the first 1.5 miles before I get my 'wind' and find my groove. Sometimes its a looong first 1.5 miles and I struggle. My mind is screaming for me to just walk a little. Then suddenly my breathing gets easier, I find my running groove, and all is good with the world. Might be that you just need to push yourself mentally a little more.
  • twinings_
    twinings_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I try and aim for 3 miles, which is 2 laps round the local park. I usually manage 1 lap, if that. It's good to hear that struggling is normal, I agree that it's a mental thing - I'll start to flag and my brain's saying "You hate this, everyone's looking at you, you look like an idiot, let's go home and have a cup of tea" - I just thought I'd be able to get through it a little better, especially after 6 months of trying.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to beat your previous time every time you run, you are likely training at too high a heart rate. What you want to be doing is building your cardio base. The way to do that is to slow down. Focus on time running rather than distance. Get yourself a heart rate monitor and do most of your training in the aerobic zone (you should feel comfortable and not like you are gasping for air). Unfortunately, in order to build a good base, you need to train in that zone for 4 months ideally before you start pushing for an anaerobic zone once a week ONLY.

It sounds like you have a time constraint, so I would suggest you run/walk 3 times the distance you are going to 'race' at. Do that for at least a couple of weeks.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/slow-down-speed
  • Lys2
    Lys2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Runners' World has good info. I agree with checking your heart rate. When I do heart rate training (I use polarpersonaltrainer.com) I usually have to slow down to stay in the right zone, but then I can run longer. It's also definitely a mental workout; when I first started running, I hated it. I came up with some mantras to repeat as I ran: "Calm, blue ocean" was one I read somewhere and used, also "I like running" and "I run fast." (I'm more of a 12-13 minute miler, but, hey, the power of positive thinking and all that.)

Do you listen to music when you run? That can help you get out of your head; someone here probably can link to some running playlists. I just turn on Pandora and skip songs that are too slow or too fast. Try to focus more on what's outside you: the changing leaves, the sky, other people... ;-) I also walk 5-10 minutes to warm up before starting to actually run.

Oh, and you don't have to have a Polar heart rate monitor to use their site, and it's free.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You have some good stuff here. I would also suggest some things at the micro-level. First, make sure that you have good running poster. Open that chest up, make sure you are hitting with the middle of your feet and a lot of "belly breathing". Then I would suggest to do some weight work that helps build your endurance. Doing squats, ab and adductor work, calves and stretching will help give you the strength to do it, while the good posture and the things ^^^QB mentioned will help give you the VO2 to go longer.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have just started running (if you want to call it that) and I feel like the world's most uncoordinated person! I have to work on distance-but I must confess that every time I add even the smallest amount of distance, I am proud of myself. I still haven't refined my running style, but it is getting a little easier. One foot in front of the other-let's go!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I might suggest, not doing the loop twice. Running is hard, and for some people it is just hard. I have ran 5 half marthons and just finished my first full, and running is still hard! There are lots of times I go out and just don't feel like running. But as some of the other posters said, the first 1-2 miles are the hardest. If you running the same loop twice to get 3 miles, you are still in the "suckiest" part of the run when you are back at your car, or house or starting point, etc..you are making it too easy to just stop..I suggest finding a new route running 1.5 miles away from your start and then back..if you run 1.5 miles out you have to run 1.5 miles back..and if you are like me..you will run it because you want to get it over with and you know you run faster than you walk! Good luck and keep at it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, even knowing it was a mental problem didn't help me. What did help was joining up with a runner's group - which is weird because I'm a total non-joiner, but I actually found it nice. A couple of times I hooked up right away with a few other slowpokes and we really encouraged each other to keep going, I found that being the encourager helped me get out of my head and made the run much easier. Another time a pro marathoner was there and coached me through nearly a whole 5k when I had never even made it a full mile before!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    To get faster at distance X, run distance X * 2.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    mix it up- change the route, add hills/variations in tempo/speed/distance. Don't forget to rest. Some days are just going to be bad, but I think you're getting bored.
  • twinings_
    twinings_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone :) I went out yesterday and managed 3.3 miles in 34 mins. I'll definitely look into changing my route because like one user said when I start on loop 2 I'm right at the start, though there is a section I call the "home run"! It was mentally draining keeping my thoughts positive and I'm dreading doing it again and again but the advice on here has been fantastic :) Thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I start basic training in 2 weeks and I'm dreading the outdoor runs (3, 4 and 5 miles). Even if I could sustain a jog for a long period of time it's ridiculously slow - I could walk faster!

Well done on getting in, even if it is the amateur military ;) You'll just have to get used to the scruffy uniform.

As long as you can pass the new entry fitness test in the first couple of days the training is progressive. The point of basic is to develop you, and while it's demanding the training staff are there to coach you.

Your focus in the next couple of weeks needs to be on outdoor running, even the RAF don't do any treadmill running. Once you're in training you'll be working up the load as well. Whilst you won't be doing bergen runs you will end up doing some running with loaded stretchers and you're field exercises will involve a patrol pack with kit for a couple of days plus your weapons and ammunition.

Good luck
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How far are you running during your regular running workouts ? If you are just getting to about a mile and feel completely spent, that is actually a pretty common feeling. Your mind will want to stop long before your body needs to so it might be a mental barrier that you need to push past.
    Most runners I have talked to say the first mile sucks for everyone, even the Kenyans. For me its more like the first 1.5 miles before I get my 'wind' and find my groove. Sometimes its a looong first 1.5 miles and I struggle. My mind is screaming for me to just walk a little. Then suddenly my breathing gets easier, I find my running groove, and all is good with the world. Might be that you just need to push yourself mentally a little more.

Do I ever resonate with this! My first mile is the pits. I am up to 5K 6 days a week with one rest day. That first mile has never gotten better. My wife said this would improve, but it hasn't.

All I can suggest is timing your runs, not just from start to finish, but between land marks on your out door runs. Work to get faster over parts, and you will get faster overall. If that is what you are after.

C