Portion Control Weighing your food success stories pls!

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I weighed my food religiously for more than a year. It's messed up my food mentality quite a bit because I got into this mindset of "if I don't eat everything on this plate, how will I have known how much I ate?" Not good.

If I have anything left on my plate, I put it in a leftover dish. It's then "free" calories for anytime I'm extra hungry, because it's already been counted for in my day. I have no problem grabbing an already accounted for leftover container for a midnight snack.

What are these 'leff tow vers' of which you speak?

Well...occasionally....under very rare circumstances....my eyes are bigger than my belly! Usually I can stuff it in, but there's been a time or two there's just not room!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this site for approx. 2 weeks now (joined in 2012 but wasn't serious as I am now)
    I'm curious on what store you bought those containers. I live in BC Canada?

Thanks Carol:flowerforyou:

I got mine from a grocery store for a dollar each. If you go to amazon, put into the search box Portion Control Containers and you'll see a ton of stuff. These particular containers got mixed reviews, because people complained they leak. Here's the link for the ones I have:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Fit+&+Fresh&node=284507

Here's some other interesting ones:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_beauty?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Curves+for+Avon&node=3760911

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-MyPlate-Flat-Plate/dp/B006YUVF1S/ref=pd_sbs_k_6

http://www.amazon.com/Precise-Portions-Lifestyle-Accessory-Glasses/dp/B00ACDWQOI/ref=pd_sbs_k_7

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Precise+Portions&node=284507

I'm sure you can find these portion control dishes and measuring things at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Walmart, etc. or places like Marshall's for FAR less than these prices on amazon.
  • pauldix
    pauldix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I began my diet back in January, I didn't weigh. It sounded a bit obsessive and unnecessary. But I found the weight wasn't consistenty coming off.

After 3 months away from the diet in summer I came back with a renewed determination to take it seriously. I decided that meant weighing. And weighing just about everything.

Since then, the weight has come off absolutely to plan. One pound a week (at least) without fail. That for me, is a water-tight argument for weighing. (And really, is it that difficult?)
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I absolutely weigh everything when I'm preparing meals.....luckily that's most of the time. Sometimes I wish potatoes weighed less :) but sometimes I'm surprised at how much fits on my plate. I tried estimating for a while, but I overestimated and my weight loss stalled. Once I started weighing my food again I was back on track. My scale has moved from being put away in the cupboard to it's own convenient space on the counter :)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bit over 50lbs by weighing most thing & using measuring cups on the rest.

Things i weigh pretty religiously are the high calorie things like meat, cheese, nuts. Measure most things with measuring cups, the only exception being low cal veggies like green leafy ones & onion.

To make my life easy i keep a set of cheap set of 1/4 c, 1/2c, 1c measuring cups, a 1TB right in an easy place to grab & use. (If i had to dig them out every time, it wouldn't happen). My food scale lives next to coffee maker ;) easy enough to grab to measure things like cereal & milk at breakfast.

The easiest thing, for me, on most things, is to look at the number of servings and divide that by eye. For example, 1c of rice is 4servings. so ill make that on Monday. Hubby and i have 1/2 Monday for dinner (1/4 of the cooked stuff), & the other 1/2 on Tuesday. In the end, if you divide them, even if eyeballed, averages out over the week.

It really did help me figure out how much I was eating. I had no clue what a serving was. For example, my biggest eye opener was a "serving" of pasta. It's only 1c of cooked pasta! Who, over age of 5, only ever eats 1c?!?!
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Pro Tip - When weighing things like peanut butter, jelly, mayonnaise or any other high calorie but hard to estimate stuff... Put the bread on the scale first and then zero the scale out, then add whatever it is to the bread to get that weight right.

I remember when I first started weighing things, somebody told me that and it helped me.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've lost a bit over 50lbs by weighing most thing & using measuring cups on the rest.

Things i weigh pretty religiously are the high calorie things like meat, cheese, nuts. Measure most things with measuring cups, the only exception being low cal veggies like green leafy ones & onion.

To make my life easy i keep a set of cheap set of 1/4 c, 1/2c, 1c measuring cups, a 1TB right in an easy place to grab & use. (If i had to dig them out every time, it wouldn't happen). My food scale lives next to coffee maker ;) easy enough to grab to measure things like cereal & milk at breakfast.

The easiest thing, for me, on most things, is to look at the number of servings and divide that by eye. For example, 1c of rice is 4servings. so ill make that on Monday. Hubby and i have 1/2 Monday for dinner (1/4 of the cooked stuff), & the other 1/2 on Tuesday. In the end, if you divide them, even if eyeballed, averages out over the week.

It really did help me figure out how much I was eating. I had no clue what a serving was. For example, my biggest eye opener was a "serving" of pasta. It's only 1c of cooked pasta! Who, over age of 5, only ever eats 1c?!?!

Wow, what an eye opening post! I didn't have a CLUE that 1 cup of rice is 4 servings!?!?!!!??? :noway: and 1 cup of cooked pasta is a "serving". WOW....this explains a LOT to me in terms of why the scale isn't moving for me as I'd like. Thank you so much for posting. I also LOVE what you said about a "cheap set of measuring cups too...that's extremely doable. Congrats so much also on your weight loss too!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Pro Tip - When weighing things like peanut butter, jelly, mayonnaise or any other high calorie but hard to estimate stuff... Put the bread on the scale first and then zero the scale out, then add whatever it is to the bread to get that weight right.

I remember when I first started weighing things, somebody told me that and it helped me.

Same here. When I started hearing "Weigh everything" I was thinking to myself, "I am not going to weigh out 10 grams of butter before I put it on my toast. That's just silly!" Well, it is silly because there's an easier way, hehe.
  • RochelleTrue
    Options
    I thought that I was eating a healthy diet before joing MFP, but by measuring everything, I realised that my portions were WAY out. I started out by putting out what I thought a portion would be, then measuring it and found in some cases I was eating nearly double what the recommended serving size is (damn you pasta!)

I don't think it takes any extra time really to weigh things out, if you are pouring things into a bowl, just put it on top of the scales before you start, it's second nature now to me. And after a few weeks, you'll find that you are much better at judging sizes.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I weighed my food religiously for more than a year. It's messed up my food mentality quite a bit because I got into this mindset of "if I don't eat everything on this plate, how will I have known how much I ate?" Not good.

If I have anything left on my plate, I put it in a leftover dish. It's then "free" calories for anytime I'm extra hungry, because it's already been counted for in my day. I have no problem grabbing an already accounted for leftover container for a midnight snack.

Genius!!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think my ticker speaks for itself.

I can't imagine not weighing my food. How do you know how much you're eating??? I try to keep a 500 calorie deficit. If I eyeballed the ground beef I just had, I could easily underestimate by 100 calories. And then the PB and J I had this morning? How do I know how much 2TBS of PB is? There goes another 50. What about cheese on my taco? I love that stuff, and could easily see myself eyeballing 2 ounces as 1...there's another 100 calories! Before you know it, my 500 calorie deficit is gone!
    Exactly this! I was way over estimating what I ate, and when I started weighing it all, I couldn't believe it. Once you do, you know your calories are correct.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure, too. My measuring cups are pretty darn accurate, but they weren't cheap either. I've checked them against the scale, and they're rarely off by more than a gram or two.

For me, weighing is important because I like to bake calorically dense foods, and if I don't measure out what went into them and then the total weight of the finished product, how do I know what a moderate serving size should be?

It's nice, because I've been pleasantly surprised most times. I have a tendency to underestimate how much of something can have. Made a blueberry cornmeal skillet cake with brown sugar topping and was shocked that 300-ish calories came out to an 'average'-sized slice (1/10 of a 2" thick cake, 10" in diameter) when I was expecting a sliver.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the key to our success. DH and I are doing this together, which is also helpful. When we started last year we bought a food scale from Amazon at a reasonable price and ALSO bought food dishers. These look like ice cream scoops and are used in the restaurant industry to serve consistent portions to customers. We chose to get 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 cup scoops. We started out using measuring cups but they're awkward. We've modified our diets somewhat to cut out junk food like potato chips, but most of our success is based on portion control. We're still able to eat the things we love and don't get filled with resentment or cravings that lead to blow-outs or quitting.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Good luck to you.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options

that's a really good idea!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Wow, what an eye opening post! I didn't have a CLUE that 1 cup of rice is 4 servings!?!?!!!??? :noway: and 1 cup of cooked pasta is a "serving". WOW....this explains a LOT to me in terms of why the scale isn't moving for me as I'd like. Thank you so much for posting. I also LOVE what you said about a "cheap set of measuring cups too...that's extremely doable. Congrats so much also on your weight loss too!!!:flowerforyou:

Don't use measuring cups they are inaccurate. Use a food scale
    This is correct. Measuring cups are more accurate than eyeballing, of course, but scales beat the pants off measuring cups for accuracy.

By the way, someone asked above who eats only a single serving of cooked pasta. Once I started weighing it out (although I do so dry, again, for more accuracy), I do. So does my husband. If it doesn't feel like enough food, mix with some veggies (spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini). You're not pretending it's pasta, you're just rounding out the meal, but it is a lot more filling that way.

I weigh the pasta dry. Most serving size is 2oz, dry. So measure that, then cook it. Of course, it doubles in size, and it IS a lot for one person.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for about a week and a half now. I was worried about the obsessiveness before I started but I have to say that I don't have that mental "problem" as expected. In most cases it allows me to eat more than I thought I could, and helps me cut the things I need to. I am eating way more veggies now that I weigh which means I am full and not snacking in the evening.

If you are worried about the accuracy of not finishing your plate- then write down the total empty plate weight and the full weight. Then weigh the remaining weight to get the percentage of the food weight remaining and subtract that from your dinner entry. Its not going to be precise but its better than nothing. I do that sometimes when I dont finish my coffee.

Weighing out your portions is about retraining your brain too. Just because you grew up eating an entire plate of spaghetti and meatballs doesnt mean that its the necessary amount/type of food to fuel your day. If you eat more than a "portion" its not wrong-- its just a choice. I find with starches, I am content with a portion or less now.
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

Same here. When I started hearing "Weigh everything" I was thinking to myself, "I am not going to weigh out 10 grams of butter before I put it on my toast. That's just silly!" Well, it is silly because there's an easier way, hehe.

I found another tip about weighing things like butter or oil etc. Instead of weighing the bread before and after (and getting crumbs everywhere) weigh the tub of butter before, take out what you want and then weigh it again and check how much less it is! No mess no fuss!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Ya know what?!? ALL of you guys, each and EVERYONE of you ALL are my heros and sheroes for posting/replying. I appreciate your sharing more than you will know. I've toyed with the idea of weighing my food before, but talked myself out of it time and again. I have been troubled by not seeing the scale move as I think it should (because I eat & drink very healthy stuff) BUT, for sure I've been over estimating my foods big time--FOR SURE. I'm going to buy a food scale today.

Thank again to you ALL!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think once you start weighing, you'll begin to get a good idea of how much is a portion size. You may not need to weigh for years and years, but it's definitely a great way to see exactly how much you want to/should be eating.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!