Portion Control Weighing your food success stories pls!

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If I have anything left on my plate, I put it in a leftover dish. It's then "free" calories for anytime I'm extra hungry, because it's already been counted for in my day. I have no problem grabbing an already accounted for leftover container for a midnight snack.

This is what I do as well ;)

I have also weighed my food for probably at least a year and it's still working for me so I am not going to mess with it. These days I actually try to eyeball the weight before I weigh it just to see if my brain has been paying attention. Most of the time I can get close so it really helps when I am out for dinner or over at someone's house without access to a scale ;)

My lunch containers have markings for volume too but I will not trust those - it's the same as using measuring cups/spoons instead of weights - completely pointless. There’s a great you tube video on the differences between weighing and measuring food here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food really opened my eyes. I didn't get a scale until a few months into this process, and when I did I weighed everything I possibly could. I found that I was both over and underestimating some foods. But after a few weeks I knew about how much 2 tbsp of dressing was, or what 8 oz of juice looks like, so I eased up on weighing every single thing. I still do it with some foods that I don't trust myself with, and I'll also do it every once in awhile with some things to keep my idea of portions from becoming exaggerated.

I agree that it does seem restrictive and obsessive. But I also think it's necessary, at least at first, so that you have a starting point. So many of us have no idea what 8 oz looks like to being with, so how can we count calories accurately until we know? That being said, if I measure 8 oz today, and tomorrow I don't weigh and get 8.5 oz, it's not going to ruin everything. Once you get an idea you can get it close enough.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Get a good scale and put it somewhere convenient. I have a digital one at home and a cheap-y analog one for the office.

They say knowledge is power and the scale lets you know exactly what you're putting in your mouth.
    I prefer weighing to measuring on things like almonds, etc.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I was rubbish at losing weight without my scale. I tried to eat healthily after my last little one was born but the lbs just kept piling on and I couldn't work out why, until I joined MFP and bought a scale. Cereal was one of the most surprising foods for me, a portion is soooo tiny! For fun I tried out a real sized portion on the kids and they thought I was being really stingy lol
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I measure things that it's easy for me to go overboard on, like cereal and trail mix. I think it is a really great weight loss strategy
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about two years and I still weigh some foods - especially high calorie stuff like cheese. For quite a lot of things now I know what a portion looks like and eye-ball a calorie guestimate for bread, rice and pastas.

Portion control was one of the key things that MFP taught me. I had it all so wrong before and it was shocking how many calories I was eating without really realising.

Sometimes I do love to have a large meal though so just pack the plate full of veg to make it into a feast! x
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My $30.00 food scale was one of the best investments I have made, if I cant weight it; i don't eat it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i weigh my food too.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Loved this post, I'm convinced! I'm totally buying a food scale like TODAY! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING, see ticker below. :happy:
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So y'all tell me what kind of food scale do you use? What's the average price of a good one?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    So y'all tell me what kind of food scale do you use? What's the average price of a good one?

I bought ours on Amazon based on customer reviews. It was under $50, but I don't recall the exact price.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/White-0-04oz-Digital-Kitchen-Compact/dp/B0096YDPNA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1383593082&sr=8-13&keywords=food+scale

$7, and it's worked great. I wish the platform were bigger, but I really can't complain for the price, and I've always managed to make it work. Sometimes I do have to weigh in a bowl before transferring to a plate if I'm weighing something large though.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have OCD so weighing my food comes naturally to me. I never knew exactly how much I was really eating until I started weighing it. I recently had some potato salad, never thought it was THAT bad for me, but when I started scooping it out on the scale, I saw just how many calories I had been eating before I started MFP. Without weighing, I would have easily had double the portion without realizing it. After that, I decided to buy a pocket scale to take with me on the go ($9 on Amazon, can't beat it). Now I weigh just about everything I eat, including at a restaurant. The scale is important because it teaches you how much you SHOULD be eating. After a while, I would assume a non-OCD person could phase the scale out as they teach themselves exactly what 32 grams looks like. I don't think I will ever get away from the scale. My OCD won't let me.

You can get the pocket scale here http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383592912&sr=8-3&keywords=pocket+scale

But if you're looking for a scale for home, I would suggest something more like this for better accuracy http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383592968&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Didn't know there was a pocket scale. I think I want a home one and a pocket one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure out most things.

Some people seem to think this is over the top, obsessive or extreme in some way. Not sure why. They all think having nutrition facts on the label is great but then scoff at actually making sure you are eating the correct serving size.

Yeah, I've never understood the aversion to it...personally I think it's because people are scared to truly see what they're eating...and it's no wonder that "it just doesn't work" for so many people. "Do you weigh and measure" is pretty much the first question I ask when someone insists they are doing everything right. For calorie counting for weight loss you have to be as precise as you possibly can be for it to work...eyeballing is not in anyway precise.

Even in maintenance I weigh most things unless I'm out and about of course, then I just do the best I can estimating based on seeing similar items on my scale a gazillion times.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I got my digital food scale for $15-20 from Amazon with free prime shipping! LOVE IT!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure darn near everything and have since I started in September, 2011. If I don't finish everything because I get full...it's ok...I still log it. Odds are I didn't skip enough to make a substantial difference. It keeps me aware of portions and makes me conscious of what I'm actually eating! As someone else said...my ticker speaks for itself. I don't see myself ever discontinuing this!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    We live with our food scale. Problem is, my eyes and stomach seem to think a proper portion size is about 5x a real portion size. Along with eating better - not eating out -, drinking water, and getting regular exercise, not only do I feel better, but look much better. If you have problems with portion sizes, you must use the scale.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you. Great commitment to yourself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!