Muscles SO sore...forgot to stretch...HELP!

Options
So,

I tried this new calisthenics things I saw on Pinterest. It was seven rounds of jumping jacks, crunches, squats and pushups. I made it three before I felt like I was gonna puke/fall over. In total I did:
180 j.j.s
140 crunches
70 squats
40 girl pushups

I absolutely forgot to stretch afterward. The next day, my legs were so sore I could hardly get out of bed. Standing up, sitting down, walking and stairs were insanely painful because my thigh muscles were just so sore. I spent the whole day hobbling around, but I did make a point to get up and move around. I was hoping the next day wouldn't be so bad, but I'm still dying. I've been chugging water, trying to stretch the muscles out every hour or so, and trying to stand/sit and walk around a bunch.

Are there any other things I can do to help? Am I going to be sore for days? It feels like it will never end! Aside from stretching before/after, what else can I do to avoid this again in the future? I don't mind a little soreness after a workout, in fact I welcome it, but this is insane.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Go for a fast walk or slow run. Once muscles are warmed up, then stretch. You shouldn't stretch muscles that haven't been warmed up for the most part.

edit to add if you have a foam roller, that would also be a good idea once you have been warmed up. If you don't have one, wine bottle would probable work.
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give that a try!
  • WinterfullyPINK
    Options
    That is something I have done SO many times! =) It sounds like you were just pushing yourself too hard too soon. Next time it might help if instead of doing that many right away, try gradually working up to it over the length of a week or so.
    Hope that helps! =)
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love my epson salt baths, 2nd day work out and soak again. If I skip the 2nd day oooh the 3rd is the worst!
  • denny712
    denny712 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Do some mild cardio to get blood flowing to those sore muscles. It will help alleviate the build up of lactic acid that's causing your Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (known as DOMS). When you're done with your light cardio and don't own a foam roller, use a rolling pin to help roll out those sore muscles. It hurts when you're doing it, but definitely helps.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm not really too sure that stretching would have made any difference. If you're sore, you're sore. Stretching doesn't really prevent or fix that. Just give it some time.
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice and insight! I'm feeling far less sore. At long last I can move around with virtually no pain. I'll definitely be giving all of your solutions consideration when I start working out again tomorrow :)