Fruits & Veggies

Options
Do you always log your fruits and veggies? Weight Watchers says they are all free and I think sometimes a lot of my calories are taken up by fruits and veggies. What do you all do? Do you log every time you eat them or because they are good for you do you forget about them?

Replies

• jenniferlthomas0305
    Options
    I'm not really sure that there's a "right" answer to this but I track absolutely everything that I eat or drink, supplements I take...everything. I'm a believer that calories add up, good or bad. My husband, however, hardly ever tracks veggies. We both track fruit though because they can be calorically and carbohydrate dense.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers does that in an effort to encourage people to eat more fruits and veggies.

Fruits and veggies have calories and should be logged.

You can still gain weight eating a surplus of fruits and veggies, just like any other food.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I log them all because they can add up quickly! My diet is heavily comprised of fruits and vegetables. I can easily meet or exceed my daily goal with logging them, so I'd be fooling myself if I didn't. The only exception is that I eat a lot of salads and don't fret over leaving out an ingredient - like a tablespoon of chopped onion for example, something that I know couldn't be more than a few calories.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Well I know you should log everything. The fruit I eat is 80-120 calories each but most of the veggies are like 20 calories for broccoli or carrots so vegetables and fruit are very different.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I log everything
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I log them. it helps to see my potassium and protein intakes. and sodium and sugar. and while I go over my sugars (even on a good day), it's "good" sugar, so I don't feel bad about it. :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I ate 500 calories in fruits and veggies one day when I last checked. Hell, today I've already eaten 120 calories in fruit alone and I've only had them as a morning snack and at lunch. WW does it to encourage healthy eating, but you can still gain weight on fruits and veggies alone. Fruits in particular tend to have a significant amount more calories than vegetables.

Short answer: Yes
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I eat about 250 calories a day in fruits/veggies. My daily deficit is 400 calories, if I didn't log them, I wouldn't lose. From my understanding the WW program builds in the points to the other foods you eat. It doesn't work when counting calories.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I log everything and weigh it as well. I know a cup of spinach is like 10 calories or so but I can jam a whole lot of spinach in that little cup :) and it does add up at the end of the day. Also fruit can be high-er calorie (80-120 calories piece) so if you eat a lot of fruit you could be way over estimating what you eat.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Fruits, always. Vegetables...it depends. A banana or apple is almost always 100+ calories and ~20g+ carbs which are both pretty significant amounts to ignore. Personally I won't lose sleep over not logging something like celery or cucumbers though but depending on your goals you may want to log more meticulously.
  • Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 cal. to accumulate a pound. If you eat an extra apple a day, you will gain roughly 1 pound. So I would definately log fruits and veggies.
  • Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I pound in a month
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I count everything. My meals are very heavy on the veggies and some fruits.

Fruits are often higher cal than veggies, but some starchy veggies add up quite quickly too.

I have read posts from people, that set their calorie goal down around 500 cals and then don't log the veggies. Guess that could work, but I'd rather just log everything.
  • Garfy117
    Garfy117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, it can seem a right pain logging every sprig of broccoli...it seems like it'd have a negligible net calorific impact.

On the other hand, it must all add up - elephants and rhinos manage to get to a fair old size on nothing but healthy veggies!
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat, so I log them. Exception: things like a fraction of a clove of garlic or one wedge of lemon juice.

An important to remember to log is oils you use for stir-frying or salads. Those are calorie juggernauts.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely log them since they're calories, too (especially fruits that are high in sugar) - except when it's a tiny amount, like a slice of tomato on a sandwich, or onions in a salad, and I can't be bothered :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I log everything!! They have calories too:wink:
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I go on and off to switch things up and get my weight loss going again. Sometimes I log everything - sometimes I don't log veggies depending on the veggie. I don't think things such as potatoes or corn should be free, but leafy greens or cucumbers or any "bright" fruit I'll not log.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I log everything .. fruits and veggies included. I think that weight watchers is stupid. It is all about making money to them .. and they just sucker people into accepting their evil plan.
  • clau_nectarina
    clau_nectarina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I would recommend that you look up the caloric content of your favorite vegetables. Some are very low cal: celery, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, green beans. Some you really have to measure: corn, potatoes, and all sorts of beans (lima beans, etc.)

Fruit can be very tricky because it can contain lots of sugar, and because the fruit you get everywhere is larger than you'd think. An average pear found in any supermarket contains about 140 calories (check by weight).

I used to eat some 6 portions of fruit a day and I wasn't losing weight. I started weighing and counting my fruits, and now I'm more likely to eat mixed berries (which have little sugar but lots of fiber) and one pear a day. I couldn't keep my caloric intake under control with so much 'free fruit'.